Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: "E" Collars.....inhumane or a valuable training tool?

Re: "E" Collars.....inhumane or a valuable training tool?

I'd go with dogtra. I had no problems with mine.
    I think you get what you pay for with things like E-collars.
    I'm sure there is exceptions tho.

Dont no how far your dog is going to range but the GPS could be another function to save its life.
    If its out of your site and it is great to have tone or vibrate to bring it back but it may be un able
    to, could be caught in a trap, hooked on a fence , fell in a hole , went trough the ice, broke a leg
    lots of issues where the GPS may help you find them when they cant get back to you.

Quote Originally Posted by dru88 View Post
    My buddy works at cabelas and I can get a discount on a ecollar. Now saying that I can get any brand I want but get the best discount on cabelas and red head gear. Does anyone use a cabelas or red head collars? How about sport dog? Or dogtra? My biggest problem is there are so many different models for each brand I get a little overwhelmed. I have a 12 week old GSP .
    I have the sportdog 1825. Love it. used it for over 2 years now. holds a charge well. waterproof of course and I just linked a second collar to the same remote for my 8mos old.

have the SPORT PRO use for both the lab and GSP and set up for multiple collars,will say last couple times had the lab out forgot to put his collar on,just me and the whistle never missed a beat last time he sat at 50 meters on a retrieve and waited for direction, which I gave after I thought why is he sitting??? so dog 1 master 0.
    Last edited by Dutch; 06-12-2019 at 03:54 PM.

Dogtra 1900S

Considered the Edge... Didn't really need the extras.

Build quality is top notch.

On a typical training session I start with the whistle, then go to the pager(buzz) and only stimulation if he's being willful and does not respond... which is almost never. I otfen get back to the house and discover that I forgot to turn the collar or the controller on and i never even noticed. Which is why we often don't bother with it anymore unless we need to work more intensely on something.

Quote Originally Posted by elch jager View Post
    Dogtra 1900S

Considered the Edge... Didn't really need the extras.

Build quality is top notch.
    I use the same collar. My first e-collar and is simple and works well. No compaints

I spoke to a pro trainer before deciding what to get. Dogtra was the brand he endorsed. For Hunting and basic obedience he also uses the 1900. For advanced training, there is nothing better than the Edge RT (although other top brands may have an equivalent)

I quote...
    "For Hunting, there is no benefit to the Edge. For training, the Edge RT has 2 sets of buttons - momentary and continuous. There are two buttons for each that give you low, medium, high stim of each so there is no flipping switches or adjusting dials needed if you need to step up intensity on the fly or switch from nick to continuous. The Edge RT is an amazing tool for quicker response times with everything at your fingertips."