Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: "E" Collars.....inhumane or a valuable training tool?

Re: "E" Collars.....inhumane or a valuable training tool?

Quote Originally Posted by 04FX4 View Post
    Best tool ever. Only used it twice on a low setting and now my dog does not leave my side when wearing the collar. Corrected him a couple times with the "beep" function as well . Great tool for barking training too.
    Is it a beep function or a tone function. There's a huge difference.

Kind of wish my collar had the tone function. Only the dog can hear it if it's any distance away. Mine does have a beeper function, though, that can be heard up to 400 yards away depending on the terrain. It's great when upland hunting or hiking,,,,or when I let the dog outside at the cabin because she likes to explore. It's particularly great to use to determine the location of the dog in heavy cover. Sometimes the dog is only 30 yards away from me while grouse hunting but if she goes on point I can't hear or see her.

The beeper can be set to go off every 8 seconds when on point or I can just use the manual locator button. She knows that three quick beeps in succession means to come back to me.

I have a new GSP puppy and have been doing some research on E collars and the use of E collars. I mostly hunt waterfowl but would like to do more upland bird hunting in the near future so my question is what E collars should I be looking into? Is there one collar that cover all or do I need a couple of collars? should I get a collar that is also GPS? Any info would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by dru88 View Post
    I have a new GSP puppy and have been doing some research on E collars and the use of E collars. I mostly hunt waterfowl but would like to do more upland bird hunting in the near future so my question is what E collars should I be looking into? Is there one collar that cover all or do I need a couple of collars? should I get a collar that is also GPS? Any info would be appreciated.

IMO you should not need a gps on your dog. He should never be that far out that you need to track him with a gps. I use a garmin pro 550. Lots of people like dogtra was well. I would spend the money and get a good collar. Something with continuous and momentary and multiple levels ( at least 10) of stimulation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear Brawler View Post
    Just lob a couple loaded mouse traps at em like you're playing horse shoes. More humane than bouncing darts off them.

I like the Dogtra Edge. That being said I have 2 lower end Sportdog collars I use as a backup. They don't have much for bells and whistles but they are tough little collars and I have never had a problem with them. Tritronics was a good collar but since Garmin bought them most pros and serious amateurs have switched to Dogtra due to very poor customer service from Garmin. You can find a decent collar in the $200-$500 range.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by dru88 View Post
    I have a GSP too, and I bought the SportDog Sport Trainer 700m (https://www.amazon.ca/SportDOG-Brand.../dp/B00EE13Q7K). Good range, water proof, basic functions (nick, constant stimulation, beeper), and works great.

Personally I wouldnt get a GPS collar, as I find that no matter where my dog is, she is trained that when I hold down the vibrate button, she has to come back ASAP. For me this collar does everything, and will work great for upland, waterfowl and general off leash hikes and training etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ajr5406 View Post
    I have a GSP too, and I bought the SportDog Sport Trainer 700m (https://www.amazon.ca/SportDOG-Brand.../dp/B00EE13Q7K). Good range, water proof, basic functions (nick, constant stimulation, beeper), and works great.

Personally I wouldnt get a GPS collar, as I find that no matter where my dog is, she is trained that when I hold down the vibrate button, she has to come back ASAP. For me this collar does everything, and will work great for upland, waterfowl and general off leash hikes and training etc.
    Pretty sure that collar doesn't have a beeper. I believe it just has a tone function.

I'm on the same side of the fence as you in that I decided not to get a collar that has GPS. Guys who run hounds definitely need collars that have that function, though. Hounds can get a couple miles away from the handler at times whereas bird dogs shouldn't ever get that far away.

I know a few hunting and non-hunting retriever owners that use GPS collars for simply being able to find their dogs should the dog be injured or killed and can't recall. It's about a 100% premium over an e-collar without GPS last I checked.

Quote Originally Posted by mastercaster View Post
    Pretty sure that collar doesn't have a beeper. I believe it just has a tone function.

I'm on the same side of the fence as you in that I decided not to get a collar that has GPS. Guys who run hounds definitely need collars that have that function, though. Hounds can get a couple miles away from the handler at times whereas bird dogs shouldn't ever get that far away.
    Yes, your right. Its not a beeper in that it will beep when the dog stops to go on point. Its just a beep when you press the button on the side. I often use that to get my dog to 'sit'. Beep=sit

Quote Originally Posted by 04FX4 View Post
    Best tool ever. Only used it twice on a low setting and now my dog doesnot leave my side when wearing the collar. Corrected him a couple times with the "beep" function as well . Great tool for barking training too.
    If your dog barks being alone then he never learned to be comfortable on his own...puppytraining!
    If your dog only stays at your side when he wears the e-collar then he never learned the command and he stays put because he knows he'll get a jolt,punished.Whatever you think is a slight nick might seems different to your dog.

Quote Originally Posted by elch jager View Post

Could I have trained what he has learned so far without the collar? Absolutely, given more time and patience and help from a more experienced trainer.
    Creeping in too close on a point - one buzz and he stops on a dime before he busts the bird.
    I offered to help you!!
    Your dog creeping in on point is because he thinks he doesn't need you to be successful,your dog doesn't have enough bird experience,managing birds is a experience thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Firstblood View Post
    I made sure my dog wasnt food driven with treats because these dogs are too smart. I made sure she wanted to retrieve above all else and that was the easy part, the e collar helps me be there with her and control that incredible drive to retrieve, its never been used as a punishment tool and never will be
    If your dog doesn't obey your commands without the e-collar and acts differently with the e-collar then she has not learned to obey your commands and only does it because she is getting zapped,getting punished.

Rainer

My buddy works at cabelas and I can get a discount on a ecollar. Now saying that I can get any brand I want but get the best discount on cabelas and red head gear. Does anyone use a cabelas or red head collars? How about sport dog? Or dogtra? My biggest problem is there are so many different models for each brand I get a little overwhelmed. I have a 12 week old GSP .