Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: "E" Collars.....inhumane or a valuable training tool?

Re: "E" Collars.....inhumane or a valuable training tool?

Labguy,I 've watched one in Kamloops years ago......if there is a top trial in BC,let me know.

Rainer

Quote Originally Posted by jagen mit DDrs View Post
    Labguy,I 've watched one in Kamloops years ago......if there is a top trial in BC,let me know.

Rainer
    I will do that. This game has evolved considerably from "years ago". The Kamloops trial hasn't been held for 25 years.

Here is a website of the BC Field Trial,and Hunt Test schedule.

http://www.bcretrievernews.ca/premium-lists.htm

where it lists upcoming Field Trials and locations. Keep refreshing your browser as not everything is listed yet.

Make sure, if you actually do go, to make sure it's a Field Trial and not a Hunt Test and watch the "Open" stake which is the higher end stake. If you're truly interested let me know where you'll be and I'll try to show you around and what's expected of these dogs.

Brian
    "Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'Donel fat"

Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years

I had a little black lab female that was borderline insane when it came to retrieving.
    As you know, one of the basic criteria at trials is the dog's ability to go in an absolute
    straight line rather than take an easy way to the dummy/bird. Well, she would do that
    and then some to the point that she hurt herself several times when actually out hunting.
    I don't know if or how an e-collar would have helped with her she was so wired. I gave
    her to another trials person but don't know what became of her as I left the area and the
    trials circuit.

Originally Posted by Danny_29
    My dog is the same way, gets so excited when it comes out as she knows its time to work. Even though I use mine correctly and my dog loves it I can understand a ban as the harm and pain it could cause in the wrong hands is awful. Would be very unfortunate for good handlers.

Labguy:

So let me see if I have this right. You are OK with a ban because some people might misuse the e collar? With that mentality would you also be OK with a ban on firearms because some people might misuse them?

Help me to understand what your getting at here. You lefties seem to have a very wierd thought process.......if there is any thought involved in your cognitive processes at all.

You hoooo.....????....Danny.....??????.....where are you????

Care to respond to this?? Legitimate question here......maybe you misspoke and would like to clear the record.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Lew View Post
    I had a little black lab female that was borderline insane when it came to retrieving.
    As you know, one of the basic criteria at trials is the dog's ability to go in an absolute
    straight line rather than take an easy way to the dummy/bird. Well, she would do that
    and then some to the point that she hurt herself several times when actually out hunting.
    I don't know if or how an e-collar would have helped with her she was so wired. I gave
    her to another trials person but don't know what became of her as I left the area and the
    trials circuit.
    The e collar probably wouldn't have helped in this case. Some of these dogs are so prey driven they would go through a wall of fire, with absolutely no regard for their personal safety, just to retrieve a plastic dummy.

Sounds like she would have made a great trial dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Bustercluck View Post
    I think it depends on the dog and how you’re training them. I had a pug with a bad attitude. I could never walk him off leash in town, because he’d run away sniffing things and wouldn’t come back. I bought a collar for him and only had to use it once. I let him outside and when he took off I gave him the command to come back and he didn’t respond. One quick zap from the remote and he was standing at my feet. I never had to use it again after that. The only reason I bought the collar was for his safety so he wouldn’t get hit by a car.
    A leash would have worked even better. When in town my dog is never off leash except for my yard where he is supervised. I don't believe in off leash dog parks, too many horror stories of people having huge vet bills after visiting off leash dog parks, too many syco. dogs. When my dog is off leash he's wearing his collar, whether it's hunting or going for a walk in a logging slash.

My lab as many have said understands why we use it. She is 55lbs of muscle and 11/10 on the energy. I can sit for hours and play fetch with a ball a stick and play around with her. Once I put the e collar and go out hunting or training on shes a completely different dog, focused, determined, excited way more than any toy. She works harder, she listens better she knows she has a job. I hardly ever use the constant setting, mostly just the momentary tap. The beep is for her to sit down, one beep one whistle and she can be a longways away and she sits and looks back. When shes way off and focused on something else a quick tap and it breaks he distracted focus and she looks for what shes supposed to be doing. I made sure my dog wasnt food driven with treats because these dogs are too smart. I made sure she wanted to retrieve above all else and that was the easy part, the e collar helps me be there with her and control that incredible drive to retrieve, its never been used as a punishment tool and never will be mine never goes above 5 but it goes up to 18, tried that on my neck and it wasnt fun, 5 I can hold it down and it ticks your neck a bit.

Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years

Quote Originally Posted by labguy View Post
    The e collar probably wouldn't have helped in this case. Some of these dogs are so prey driven they would go through a wall of fire, with absolutely no regard for their personal safety, just to retrieve a plastic dummy.

Sounds like she would have made a great trial dog.
    Yes, someone with the knowledge needed for trial training such as yourself likely could have
    done wonders with her in a controlled environment where she was less likely to hurt herself.
    Although I did well in training my first lab, I had little experience and could not have brought
    out her potential.
    Of all the dogs I watched at the trials, maybe 3-4 had the same urgency and drive as she did.
    She had no concept about any path except in an absolute straight line out and back.

my dog is an amazing dog now but I couldn't imagine not having the collar. he doesn't leave the house without it on and it is the only thing he loves. you bring out his backpack or a harness or muzzle and he tries to get away. bring out the collar and he runs up happy as hell because it's go time.

I’m gonna wait for the tail and dew claw docking thread to jump in.