Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: "E" Collars.....inhumane or a valuable training tool?

Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years

Re: "E" Collars.....inhumane or a valuable training tool?

Fifty and sixty years ago many trainers used a long cord to train their pups to stop immediately on command.
    A jerk violent enough to put the dog on it's back is a lot more inhumane than properly using an e-collar in my opinion.

I started using E collars in the early 90s. I was coached by a couple of pretty good hands on their PROPER use. I agree with lab guy they are a tool. As an experiment when I read this I put a collar on my Golden, left it on for the day, not once did the collar shock her of its own accord. Like firearms they are a tool and are only as harmful as the idiot in control. Anyone who believes "Guns don't kill people, people kill people" should never condemn E collars as cruel and hurtful. If you do you'd better surrender their guns because they are as dangerous on their own as E collars are cruel
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

I agree 100% FOXTON, I'v had three lab's that were conditioned to "E" collars. The first "E" collar I had was an old Tritronics with the interchangeable stimulation buds, all that I ever used on my first dog was the lowest level of stimulation, that was all that was needed, in fact the last 8 years of her life I didn't have to turn the collar on. When the collar was put on, she knew it was all business time, whether it was going for a walk or hunting she responded immediately to vocal commands or the whistle. Now I use on my present lab the Dodtra NCP,( nick, constant and page), mostly page, sometimes nick, never constant so far.

There are many humans who should be forced to wear an electronic collar...
    . . . . .If I don't respond to your postings, maybe it is because you are on my "IGNORE" list
    . . . . . . . . . . . . I don't see the garbage you write. It's a wonderful tool

[QUOTE=labguy;2082994]Now that we've pretty well exhausted the FF thread and Rainer has finally admitted he's wrong , let's tear into this topic.

At least you have a sense of humor!!

I think of the use of e-collars the same way as FF........In the right hands not a problem.

I tried to respond to you and Foxton in the FF thread but can't for whatever reason.

Rainer

I think it depends on the dog and how you’re training them. I had a pug with a bad attitude. I could never walk him off leash in town, because he’d run away sniffing things and wouldn’t come back. I bought a collar for him and only had to use it once. I let him outside and when he took off I gave him the command to come back and he didn’t respond. One quick zap from the remote and he was standing at my feet. I never had to use it again after that. The only reason I bought the collar was for his safety so he wouldn’t get hit by a car.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

We’ve used the e-collar to break every Vizsla we have had from running deer. So far, one or two chases halted by the e-collar and they are deer proof. I was never successful commanding them to stop the chase prior to the collar training. That is all we’ve used the collar for.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny_29 View Post
    My dog is the same way, gets so excited when it comes out as she knows its time to work. Even though I use mine correctly and my dog loves it I can understand a ban as the harm and pain it could cause in the wrong hands is awful. Would be very unfortunate for good handlers.
    So let me see if I have this right. You are OK with a ban because some people might misuse the e collar? With that mentality would you also be OK with a ban on firearms because some people might misuse them?

Help me to understand what your getting at here. You lefties seem to have a very wierd thought process.......if there is any thought involved in your cognitive processes at all.
    Last edited by labguy; 03-31-2019 at 05:06 PM.
    "Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'Donel fat"

Quote Originally Posted by labguy View Post
    My goal is to train to the highest levels of competative Retriever training in North America and could not even attempt to accomplish this without this tool.......unless I had about 15 years to train each dog.
    What are you saying,if e-collars are banned,there would be no Retriever trials because it would be impossible to train a Retriever for trials??

Quote Originally Posted by jagen mit DDrs View Post
    What are you saying,if e-collars are banned,there would be no Retriever trials because it would be impossible to train a Retriever for trials??

No, Im saying the standard of dog work would be much, much lower.

Rainer, you need to actually see one of these North American Retriever trials to understand the level these dogs are competing at nowadays. Without proper knowlege of what's involved and how highly trained and compliant these dogs are, you're only guessing.
    Last edited by labguy; 03-31-2019 at 05:28 PM.
    "Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'Donel fat"