Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: "E" Collars.....inhumane or a valuable training tool?

Re: "E" Collars.....inhumane or a valuable training tool?

Quote Originally Posted by labguy View Post

A person doesn't need a "tool" to be abusive. Hands, feet and even a persons voice can cause an animal inordinate distress.
    Exactly. Have seen a well known Trainer kick a dog quite forcefully and years back at a Retriever Specialty a guy booted a dog's crate pretty hard to stop it from barking. When I looked a bit aghast he said "These dogs are my tools and I treat them like tools."
    Re the E Collar, we've resorted to one on our latest Toller. I'm not the best trainer around, some would say I'm a worse trainer than I am a goalie but so far the E collar has worked out well. I'm getting way too old to climb us a freekin' mountain side to leash her up, hasn't happened since we started the E collar training.

Glove...what do you do to keep a dog quit in the crate? Why would you look aghast?? There is this fantasy land where no one sees....and also reality that most hide. Kinda like you know.” Good parents never yell at there kid” except they do and if they don’t they...they aren’t good parents...and of course some kids don’t ever need yelling at..but that’s not good parenting it is just fortunate parenting...don’t have many kids you will never know the difference...
    sad to say I am the second best dog owner in BC...right behind every other one...
    It is well to try and journey ones road and to fight with the air.Man must die! At worst he can die a little sooner." (H Ryder Haggard)

Quote Originally Posted by horshur View Post
    Glove...what do you do to keep a dog quit in the crate? Why would you look aghast?? There is this fantasy land where no one sees....and also reality that most hide. Kinda like you know.” Good parents never yell at there kid” except they do and if they don’t they...they aren’t good parents...and of course some kids don’t ever need yelling at..but that’s not good parenting it is just fortunate parenting...don’t have many kids you will never know the difference...
    sad to say I am the second best dog owner in BC...right behind every other one...
    We have never crated our dogs andthe kick wasn't just a nudge, the whole frickin' crate jumped. I'd add that a Lady who was present who is acknowledged by many as one of finest trainers and breeders of Tollers in Canada came over to us after and basically said to ignore the guy, he's a tool himself. In any event, I was agreeing ( with two examples ) with labguy on what can cause "inordinate distress." And yes, I've yelled at our Grandkids and Children over the years.

Dogs in crates are easily kept quiet with bark collars. Rechargeable progressive ones are best. Like with E collars do your conditioning at home and NP. My dogs are all crate trained and they know crate time is quiet time. Tools are tools dogs are dogs
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

My old black male lab that has since gone to the happy hunting grounds, would just jump up on to my truck's tailgate and wait for me to open his crate door so that he could go into his crate and lay down, and stay there all afternoon while I cut the grass or did other chores around the yard. He'd just stay there even though the crate door was open and the tail gate was down. It was like a security blanket or something, he'd just lay there with his head out of the crate keeping an eye on me. But when the truck was running he needed a bark collar (Dogtra yapper stopper)............. God I miss that dog.

I introduced all my hunting dogs to crates when they were pups. Used them in the house up until the age of 6-7 months when I had to leave for any extended period of time. My griff has been totally trustworthy since then so I only use it for travel even if it's just a short jaunt to the off leash dog park. It's alway in the back seat of my truck for the sole purpose of safety. When I visit my daughter's place and I head out early to deer hunt I'll bring her crate into the house but my two little toddling grand daughters play in it more than the dog uses it when it's up there. LOL

Never had the need for a bark collar. My second brittany went through her 17 1/2 year life without ever barking. Don't think she ever knew how. The only time my griff barks is when she rough housing at he park with other dogs. I use an e collar the way it's supposed to be used,,,,,a tool that reinforces what they already know. When we're out, more than half the time I don't even have the receiver turned on but knowing that she has it on is like having a 1000' leash on her which gives me peace of mind.

The thing that I like best about having the collar now the training is all but complete is that it has a beeper on it that can be heard up to 300 yards away. If I need to locate her in heavy cover there's a locator button. Three quick beeps and she comes back (unless she's on point). Another button can be set, though, so that anytime she is on point it will beep every 7-8 seconds.

There has been plenty of times in the past when I've had one of my dogs go on point and I didn't know exactly where they were or even if they were on a bird because the cover was too thick and I couldn't see them. Sometimes they were less than 20-25' away in some thick bramble, sage brush, or bush.

I find that e collars are a convenient tool to help train dogs but are they necessary? My griff is the first dog I've used one on and the training has gone well. My mother/daughter brittany duo never had any training with them and they were two of the best pheasant hunting dogs I've hunted behind. That was back in the 80s and 90s, though. I didn't know anything about them back then.

Are E collares necessary? No but they sure make life easier. In the 60/70s I used to run my dogs down when they needed correction. Now at almost 70 and a bad ankle I wouldn't be still training without them
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxton Gundogs View Post
    In the 60/70s I used to run my dogs down when they needed correction
    I recall some old timers explaining the intricacies of using shot to correct the dog at range way back when. The minimum range was determined by firing at a piece of card board such that the pellets penetrated one side but never exited. Dogs have it easy today in comparison.

Not all old timers are smart. Or competent trainers.
    "BORN TO HUNT"

Best tool ever. Only used it twice on a low setting and now my dog does not leave my side when wearing the collar. Corrected him a couple times with the "beep" function as well . Great tool for barking training too.