Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: "E" Collars.....inhumane or a valuable training tool?

Re: "E" Collars.....inhumane or a valuable training tool?

I love training with my e collar. Such a valuable tool. I also agree that used incorrectly can ruin a good dog. Like any training abuse. I love being in the mountains with the dogs and I never let them get too far away from me. All I have to do is use the audible beep and he lifts his head and comes to me. Plus I also make sure that there is no way he can run cattle or wildlife.

Very valuable training tool but inhumane in the wrong hands
    Originally Posted by lip_ripper00
    Don't argue with an idiot, you will be dragged down to his level and beaten by experiance
    Originally Posted by bearhunter338-06
    Problem is easy to fix........Sell Chevy buy Dodge problem fixed..................

Some people use it, some people abuse it.
    What really impresses me is watching hunting pups progress to trained dogs without the use of an e-collar.
    My gawd, did people not train dogs before them...
    Last edited by huntingfamily; 04-01-2019 at 08:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by huntingfamily View Post
    What really impresses me is watching hunting pups progress to trained dogs without the use of an e-collar.
    Yes people trained dogs before e-collars. The methods were often rougher than using the e-collar.

Quote Originally Posted by huntingfamily View Post
    It's a tool. And it really makes life simpler.
    I love hunting. But rifles? What impresses me is people that can take game animals with old traditional methods.
    Did people not hunt without them lol

When I was a younger man my first dog I trained from a book. In that book there was a chapter on teaching a dog it's boundaries without a fence. It suggested a pellet pistol. Shoot the dog in the rump and reward it for returning. REALLY!! So collars are bad? I' have one for our dog for camping. She's free to run all over till that beep. She's back in flash. The few times the zap was needed makes made me feel sick even on low. Neither of us need anything more than a beep now!
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

I don’t have working dogs, but when our first doodle was young she’d shoulder check the old dog, sometimes hard enough to knock her over. But only when they were a fair distance away. I bought an e collar for her, tried it on myself first (good jolt but no real pain), and then on her. Gave her a jolt just as she was about to make contact with a shoulder check..... took two jolts then she never did it again. $120 per jolt...... great training tool for when you can’t give em a smack on the bum

Quote Originally Posted by labguy View Post
    I will do that. This game has evolved considerably from "years ago". The Kamloops trial hasn't been held for 25 years.

Here is a website of the BC Field Trial,and Hunt Test schedule.

http://www.bcretrievernews.ca/premium-lists.htm

where it lists upcoming Field Trials and locations. Keep refreshing your browser as not everything is listed yet.

Make sure, if you actually do go, to make sure it's a Field Trial and not a Hunt Test and watch the "Open" stake which is the higher end stake. If you're truly interested let me know where you'll be and I'll try to show you around and what's expected of these dogs.

Brian
    Them's fighting words!! Come to the HT to see what the "weekend warriors" dogs can do and see the wee toller in Master too!!!

Then go watch the Field Trial...... Lab Guy is right.

FT is the NHL of CKC retriever tests.

It is inhumane to dump a dog at a shelter because its trashing the house/ trashing the yard/ running away/ over excited around people/ chasing anything that moves human, animal or vehicle/ barking uncontrollably etc, etc.... all of these behaviors not being helped by lack of exercise, since the dog can't be trusted off leash.

IMO, it is also inhumane to never allow a dog to run free.... especially a sporting breed!!

I threatened to repossess a dog that I had bred unless he was CC because he was never allowed to run free. Not for lack of training by the owners, the dog was just smart enough to know the fun ended when he was on leash!! He also didn't take his 15 year old handler seriously.

The dog is now CC. HE is way happier because now he KNOWS that he must do what he is told to do. No more grey area.

The owner is happier and I am too too.

Have to agree with Labguy on the field trials ,My new guy is a three year old field trials dog and when I went to work with the trainer (who trained me how to work my dog) I was simply astonished the level that these dogs are at.I was truly humbled by how little I could comprehend from the trials I had seen 30 years ago to the level they are at now.Oh and I remember as a youth the pre- E coller days with the long leash and the yard as hard as you can to teach commands..