Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: "E" Collars.....inhumane or a valuable training tool?

Re: "E" Collars.....inhumane or a valuable training tool?

Quote Originally Posted by Kasomor View Post
    Them's fighting words!! Come to the HT to see what the "weekend warriors" dogs can do and see the wee toller in Master too!!!

Then go watch the Field Trial...... Lab Guy is right.

FT is the NHL of CKC retriever tests.
    Nice to see you check in once in a while Linda. You're a very knowledgable lady......for a Toller person.
    "Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'Donel fat"

I did a bunch of research on ecollars when I was getting ready to get my GSP. I followed many of the Dogtra recommended training schedules and have found it to be an invaluable tool to reinforce commands my pup already knows. 95% of the time is use vibrate functions only, and mainly for recall. She responds very well and instantly stops what she is doing and runs back to me (and gets lots of positive love for that)

as she is very active, it’s great to have her off leash where possible, and the ecollar makes it very easy to do this too.

Anyone who who says they are cruel doesn’t really understand how they work (when used properly). When I pull out the ecollar my dog knows that a whole bunch of fun is about to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by ajr5406 View Post
    I did a bunch of research on ecollars

Anyone who who says they are cruel doesn’t really understand how they work (when used properly).
    You answered your statement... when used properly.

It is the operator that could be cruel. Not the collar... it's an inanimate object.
    . . . . .If I don't respond to your postings, maybe it is because you are on my "IGNORE" list
    . . . . . . . . . . . . I don't see the garbage you write. It's a wonderful tool

Most of the training basics were done without, using food rewards and praise.

I learned a lot about proper use of an eCollar before trying one out. When I saw how quickly I could get results with an eCollar, I got a Dogtra 1900s of my own. I never use it as punishment, only to get the desired behaviour on a task/command he has already learned. Only at the mildest setting required to get him moving. Discomfort, not pain... and Never while interacting with another dog.

Could I have trained what he has learned so far without the collar? Absolutely, given more time and patience and help from a more experienced trainer.

I only put it on him now while hunting or doing more formal training and occasionally during free play so he doesn't get lazy with responses. I find the pager (buzz) is all that is usually needed. He only gets a nick if he purposefully ignores me. When we are trying to hunt silently like jumping ducks in ditches... the pager is extremely useful. One buzz - Stop on a dime and wait... Creeping in too close on a point - one buzz and he stops on a dime before he busts the bird. He will do the same with the whistle, which is fine for holding birds, but grouse and ducks can startle.

my .02...

Quote Originally Posted by huntingfamily View Post
    Some people use it, some people abuse it.
    What really impresses me is watching hunting pups progress to trained dogs without the use of an e-collar.
    My gawd, did people not train dogs before them...
    But then you have DDs,which are probably smarter than most.

Rainer

My experience is that most people don't do much structured Engagement games with their dogs at a really young age and give them more Drive"than they have control over.

Rainer

The BCSPCA launched a campaign a couple months ago called the Shocking Truth About Electronic Collars. Was brought to my attention a couple days ago.

Another perfect example of an organization blaming the tool for improper use and not the user and trying to ban ecollar use.
    Last edited by Ron.C; 04-18-2019 at 08:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron.C View Post
    The BCSPCA launched a campaign a couple months ago called the Shocking Truth About Electronic Collars. Was brought to my attention a couple days ago.

Another perfect example of an organization blaming the tool for improper use and not the user and trying to ban ecollar use.
    The SPCA is a great organization that does a lot of good for animals. Unfortunately their love for animals has blinded them to certain truths that seem painfully obvious to most of us.

A person doesn't need a "tool" to be abusive. Hands, feet and even a persons voice can cause an animal inordinate distress.

While the SPCA's heart is in a good place, the head (the thinking part) , needs a serious reality check.

I've had some long and protracted discussions with them on this subject and it's like flogging a dead horse. I will continue to support them financially because of the good they do for abused and neglected animals.
    "Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'Donel fat"

I lost all respect for the SPCA years ago when they refused to sell(they call it adopt) a lab who was obviously a traind hunting dog to a friend because he answered honestly when asked if he was a hunter. FLASH SPCA, true cruelty is not letting a dog do what it was born bred and trained to do. E-collars abuse dogs like "spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat"
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

I used to donate to the SPCA regularly. They will no longer see money from me

https://spca.bc.ca/programs-services...CCRejF8eWTXnzE