Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "E" Collars.....inhumane or a valuable training tool?

"E" Collars.....inhumane or a valuable training tool?

Now that we've pretty well exhausted the FF thread and Rainer has finally admitted he's wrong , let's tear into this topic.

E Collars have been around for over 40 years. The first ones were a one intensity unit that delivered a very significant jolt that was meant as punishment tool only. Over time the E Collars have evolved to variable intensity units that deliver almost imperceptible stimulation up to quite a significant jolt. They will deliver continuous or momentary stimulation by a simple, user friendly adjustment on the transmitter.

Most countries in Europe have banned their use as inhumane. Many animal rights groups in Canada and the US, including the SPCA, are actively lobbying for the same.

My feeling is that any tool in the wrong hands can be inhumane. A persons hands or feet can deliver significant trauma to an animal if so desired.

I use E Collars daily when training. My dogs will stuff their heads into the collar because they associate it with fun. I've seen other dogs cower when the collar comes out. My goal is to train to the highest levels of competative Retriever training in North America and could not even attempt to accomplish this without this tool.......unless I had about 15 years to train each dog.

Any comments?
    "Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'Donel fat"

2. Site Sponsor

Re: "E" Collars.....inhumane or a valuable training tool?

I got one and it has been incredibly useful training my dog, combined with a reward approach. I mostly used it from 1-2 years of age and occasional I’ll use it during some touch up trading but I only have to use the vibrate mode now because he’s conditioned to it. It is like a tug on the leash or tap on the back ‘hey buddy, stay on task”. He doesn’t show any sign of fear of the collar. I think they are a great tool, but as with anything like this, the abusive owner will use it improperly. If they didn’t have the collar, they’d find another way to be abusive.

great tool when used properly, my hounds only had it on a couple times each , they learn quickly from it.
    I can tell ya, but you know I' ll be lying to you!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by labguy View Post
    My feeling is that any tool in the wrong hands can be inhumane. A persons hands or feet can deliver significant trauma to an animal if so desired.
    I'm a new retriever trainer. I'm using an e-collar and find it a great tool. It's like extension of my hands where I can give the dog more than one stimulus to a given command. What's the difference to saying sit, giving a light nic with the collar, or saying sit and giving a light tug on a lead? None. But with the e-collar you can extend this. Someone yanking on the leash excessively and being rough/violent because they can't control themselves can injure the dog and most certainly be perceived as cruel. Should we ban leashes too?

Labguy, I think you hit the nail on the head with this statement. I bolded "A person" because this is the root cause of any abuse or negligent wrong doing.
    Last edited by Ron.C; 03-31-2019 at 09:05 AM.

I think it's a great tool and I found that after a couple zaps on the low end all that's needed is the tone or vibrate to correct behaviour.

As all ready stated yes helpful in training, and as stated in the wrong hands it is the person using it that can cause the problems. Many of these people shouldnt even be allowed to have dogs.
    I have been asked by people if they could borrow mine and its all ways no.

Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years

I used one of the variable ones when training my current lab. I always tested it on myself to insure
    I wasn't giving him too much as it was only meant for training, not for punishment. I actually only had
    to use it a few times. Biggest problem was in his intelligence...he would always be on his best behavior
    when wearing the collar even when it wasn't turned on. He had absolutely no fear or apprehension about
    wearing it as he associated it with fun. I gave it to another fellow that was just getting into serious training
    of his pup, and as far as I know, he had the same satisfactory results as me...because he used it as it was
    intended to be used.

First time using the e-collar with my current 11mos BLF. I've used it through her training program and I use it for reinforcement nicks to reinforce a command. I'm currently following the Hillmann method and the utilization of reinforcement nicks at really low levels makes it an easy conditioning process for both me and the dog.

Overall I found a program that makes me comfortable in using the collar without using it wrong, and one that I felt comfortable in working through from the start.

Great tool when used properly!

while travelling to a trial with a friend last year we stopped in an unfamiliar town to air and stretch our dogs. It was a small lightly treed park tucked away in a quiet spot. After airing we decided to toss a couple bumpers for the dogs to let them blow some steam off...approx 150 yard singles. On one throw, my dog over ran the mark and was going full tilt deep. There was an old road that didn't appear used much in behind and as luck would have it a car was coming charging down it, appearing quickly and was on a collision course with dog who was going to be crossing. I loudly whistle stopped the dog and he slid to a quick and immediate stop with his rump actually touching shoulder road as the car flew past.

The driver having just just seen the dog out of corner of eye as she passed, came to a stop down the road and ran back to chat. She was totally amazed that we trained our dogs to sit like that. She saw the blinking collar on the dog and I commented it was an e-collar and was a valuable training tool for teaching dogs. I am always wary of having e collar on the dog in public, but she was not the least concerned realizing his training had just saved his life.

i did not use the e collar in that instance, but do not believe I could have trained this young dog to respond as he did without having trained with it. Timing of correction or reward is critical to learning (and fairness to the dog) and would be very challenging at greater distances in particular without an e collar.

i also learned a valuable lesson that day to more thoroughly ensure safety of grounds and situation before doing anything with my dog.

My dog is the same way, gets so excited when it comes out as she knows its time to work. Even though I use mine correctly and my dog loves it I can understand a ban as the harm and pain it could cause in the wrong hands is awful. Would be very unfortunate for good handlers.