Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lets talk annealers

Hybrid View

Lets talk annealers

Me and a buddy are in the market for an annealing unit. First one is an anneal eze propane torch unit for about a $1000.00 can. Unit looks well made and uses two propane torches to heat the cases. The torches are 1990 deg f each roughly to heat each case to 525 to 550 f to properly anneal which can cause an issue if not perfectly set up.l. AMP unit uses induction heating of each case at a cost of $1800.00 plus tax and extra shell holders etc. Induction uses a coil that is 2000 deg or so to heat cases to appropriate temp to anneal. Probably the best unit out there as for ease of use. Then there is a Canadian company using the salt bath method for roughly $200.00 bucks for the salt, heating unit and extra salts. Heats the cases that are dipped into a salt bath solution that is pre heated to 525 to 550 f. Cases are heated from inside and outside at the same time and never subject to higher temps than needed to anneal your brass. 5 seconds in the bath anneals your brass perfectly once setup. Mind you a molten salt solution is dangerous as heck but once you have a safe place to anneal it should be worth the cost savings. Brass after annealed will need to be washed of any residual salt but that extra step is well worth the cost savings. Salt bath in my opinion might be the best way to anneal hands down for consistency. Anybody running one of these setups? I.base my opinions on info from internet based searches and have no annealing experience.
    Last edited by donny.brooke; 04-22-2019 at 03:59 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

Re: Lets talk annealers

Im ordering the AMP Mark 2 annealer, I missed one online a cpl weeks back for 1200.00 BNIB, I don't know shit about them but looks like the machine to have,

7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

Quote Originally Posted by Weatherby Fan View Post
    Im ordering the AMP Mark 2 annealer, I missed one online a cpl weeks back for 1200.00 BNIB, I don't know shit about them but looks like the machine to have,

Thats a good price.

I clamp my propane torch in a vice and use a drill with whatever size socket fits the case I’m annealing to turn it in the flame. Get a counting rhythm going in your head and you can crank through cases pretty quick.

I place a water bath or wet towel beneath, then just tip the drill to dump the case and load the next one. The lead pot salt bath looks pretty slick and is reasonably priced, unless you’re consistently doing tons of cases and can justify the induction one.

I use an AMP, easy to use and the results are consistent and foolproof
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Hi Mark, are you still offering to anneal brass?

Cheers
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Gw272 View Post
    Hi Mark, are you still offering to anneal brass?

Cheers
    Gary
    yes sir, send me a PM if interested
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

AMP is 2 grand plus, salt bath unit is $200.00 tops, gunna try the salt bath one and see how it goes. Not annealing alot of cases. I think its the best way to anneal IMO but that could change after using it a bit.
    Last edited by donny.brooke; 04-22-2019 at 04:00 PM.

Got the melting pot today just waiting on the rest of the kit

I send my brass to Precision Annealing and they do it in an AMP for me.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!