Thread: When To Place Trail Cams?

When To Place Trail Cams?

I know a lot of you run trail cams all year long, and I guess it's never TOO late to place them, but when is optimal? I went out to place a couple today, but there was almost 2 feet of snow on the road I needed to access, so it's going to be a while before I can get in there. Normally I'd consider borrowing a pair of snowshoes and take the hike just for the exercise, but I have a 50 pond mineral block I want to drop there too, and given the distance, I'd rather have a little more road behind me before I tackle the hike.
    Man that is born of a woman is of few days, and full of trouble. (Job 14:1 KJV)

2. Site Sponsor

Re: When To Place Trail Cams?

Pick up a small mineral block for pack ins. They’re the size of a large brick.

I try and get my cams out when nighttime temps are above zero to try and stretch out my batteries.

i wait till most of the snow is gone so that access is easy. warmer nights are better for the batteries too. i hiked a big salt block in on a frame pack once....never again. in some spots i get literally thousands of pics in may, june, july...down to hundreds of pics in august....down to less than 100 during the hunting season. but in other spots i get just a few prime animals, bucks and bulls, all through the spring, summer and fall. it took me a long time to figure it all out.

Optimal time? As soon as spring temps start.
    Preferably on a well used game trail, fence line, natural lick, man made lick (huge success with sidewalk salt, 50 lb bags), bedding areas!
    I leave mine out on my active spots year round.
    Come late fall, or one of my last trips before winter, I'll replace batteries/ new SD card. Leave them out over winter.
    Most of the cold temps, they batteries give out, but come warmer temp days and spring they fire back up.
    "I am fascinated by the wild, rough country where sheep are found. I love the long-continued excitement of the stalk. I even enjoy the disappointments and the frustrations, those stalks that go astray when the sheep have moved, and the wind changes". - JOC

12 months a year
    Avatar is for all the conspiracy theory nut bars, for all the crow they have to eat when everything implodes

I've never heard of someone who isn't vaccinated getting polio

Trump will win big time in 2020

Why is it that rednecks from Alberta can't get enough of men in dresses, they simply lose their shit

I’m not a real experienced trail cam guy, but I’ve been leaving mine (all two of em) out all year. Haven’t been getting too much for winter pictures though

If you don't have any prime locations figured out I would recommend bird dogging around soon as the snow lifts.
    The first few weeks after the snow has lifted trails stick out like sore thumbs as the soil is damp and new growth vegetation hasn't started yet.

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea