Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Outdoor Cooking - Finland candle

Re: Outdoor Cooking - Finland candle

My buddy showed me this other way similar to this a few years ago. They use it while ice fishing in Ontario. You take a 3' round, maybe 12" - 16" round or larger. Take your chainsaw and cut into the log about 6" hole, cutting 4 sides the size of your chainbar, then cut into the side the same waymaking sure you intercept the hole you cut in from the end.(this becomes the flu) light the fire in the hole and the log burns from the inside out. We have done it several times and you can cook one pan meals in it and have coffee going all day or use it for heat. I have a picture here, just have to figure out how to put it in here.

Can't see them too good, but they are in my gallery
    Last edited by Sikanni Stalker; 12-02-2007 at 07:45 PM. Reason: added pic
    Tim

Been doing this the last couple of years, normally with just whatever logs kicking around. I've never used lighter fluid or anything but the wood chips to get it going. Once you get a hot ember going it sucks the air through the cuts in the side and makes the fire spread. I normally cook beans or onions when we have a camp fire along side it.
    1st Im in charge, and if not Matt is. Your job is to sign checks, tell us we're doing good and open your case of scotch after a good day. 2nd my fee. You can keep it, all I want in exchange for my service is the right to hunt all the drakes. A male. Buck only. Why and how are my business. If you don't like it, go alone. Set up right here or in a swamp or in the middle of a noshoot field for all I care. I've been on too many duck hunts with rich dentists to listen to any more suicidal ideas. Ok?

We used to call them "Swedish candles" or "Norwegion candles" butthey work great.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

this is neet, thanks got to try this one next time hunting or camping,,, would realy save wood on the fire,,,

Hey that looks pretty cool - such awesome ideas to keep in mind if you're stranded or stuck in the boonies...
    ~D
    Don't wait up.....

I have made a few of these, sometimes they are hard to get going but once they are going they rock.

After they have burned down for awhile the log just has four posts on it and it looks kinda cool
    Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear.