Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Black bear season

Re: Black bear season

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    Is your fancy stick going to be ready
    actually the damn thing snapped in half due to a failed glue joint. Luckily my dad has a pile of bows ready to go. I need some shooting time and will probably try hunting for bear with a bow in late summer in a huge expanse of saskatoons.

Quote Originally Posted by two-feet View Post
    actually the damn thing snapped in half due to a failed glue joint. Luckily my dad has a pile of bows ready to go. I need some shooting time and will probably try hunting for bear with a bow in late summer in a huge expanse of saskatoons.
    Too bad I was looking forward to hearing you have success with a bow you made

Hmm. I said I wouldn't "shoot" a bear this year... but when I said that I meant gun.

Maybe I should fling an arrow instead this year?

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    Lytton it self meh but Spence’s is better. Neither are great for big bears but lots of colour. Have fun when they go down a ravine in that area it’s awesome lol

bring lots of rope
    Will be up there with the kid for the sheep count next weekend, might just have to spend some time scouting before we head back Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by caddisguy View Post
    Hmm. I said I wouldn't "shoot" a bear this year... but when I said that I meant gun.

Maybe I should fling an arrow instead this year?
    You already know the answer to that one, just sharpen up those broadheads and stop asking rhetorical questions
    "You can learn more about hunting with a bow in a week than you could in a lifetime of gun hunting" - Fred Bear

Saw one set of tracks in the snow out past sooke

Sooo...

I went out, pre-season. It's been a while since I have been able to get out. Work is just KILLING me and a lot of my weekends. Wife is slammed too. That and the place I wanted to go still had quite a bit of snow.

Anyway, I got out of the house for a camp trip. Did a little shed hunt, trailcam check/service, sight-in, campfire, cook-out, 10/22 plinking, cleaned up a couple of messy camps, etc.

No bears on the cams (2 out of 3 were still running) ... no poops or tracks. Just enough green grass on a hillside to make a salad. I don't think anything was getting hit by bears. The odd piece was nipped but that could be bunnies or deer... need more grass to tell if a weed whacker has been through, right?

Beauty weekend we had though. It's always awesome seeing everything starting to come back to life (including myself I suppose) ... got some decent cam footage (a couple deer, coyotes, bobcats, cougar) over the winter that I'll post up soon.

We'll be getting out the next few weekends hopefully... kinda just camping with a rifle. Later in April might pick up the pace a little bit, all depends on what my company feels like. I'm really into playing the "guide" role for my wife and brother this season. I want to make opportunity for them and maybe film a bit more. Making sure people are comfortable and having a good time is part of it. I don't know how it will all play out or if there will be conclusions but I'm really excited to spend the short time I have trying to contribute to the experiences of others.

Anyway... bit of a change-up and it's going to be fun. Gotta love spring.

Quote Originally Posted by caddisguy View Post
    Sooo...

I went out, pre-season. It's been a while since I have been able to get out. Work is just KILLING me and a lot of my weekends. Wife is slammed too. That and the place I wanted to go still had quite a bit of snow.

Anyway, I got out of the house for a camp trip. Did a little shed hunt, trailcam check/service, sight-in, campfire, cook-out, 10/22 plinking, cleaned up a couple of messy camps, etc.

No bears on the cams (2 out of 3 were still running) ... no poops or tracks. Just enough green grass on a hillside to make a salad. I don't think anything was getting hit by bears. The odd piece was nipped but that could be bunnies or deer... need more grass to tell if a weed whacker has been through, right?

Beauty weekend we had though. It's always awesome seeing everything starting to come back to life (including myself I suppose) ... got some decent cam footage (a couple deer, coyotes, bobcats, cougar) over the winter that I'll post up soon.

We'll be getting out the next few weekends hopefully... kinda just camping with a rifle. Later in April might pick up the pace a little bit, all depends on what my company feels like. I'm really into playing the "guide" role for my wife and brother this season. I want to make opportunity for them and maybe film a bit more. Making sure people are comfortable and having a good time is part of it. I don't know how it will all play out or if there will be conclusions but I'm really excited to spend the short time I have trying to contribute to the experiences of others.

Anyway... bit of a change-up and it's going to be fun. Gotta love spring.
    great update and sounds like you got a good spot with that variety of animals. Great time to be out in the woods

Couple decent sized blackies up at Westwood plateau 18hole.

Not sure where I heard it but the old line is "When the Big Black Bumble Bees Are Out The Bears Will Start Coming Out "
    Really thinking of hunting black bear this spring never been before .
    Arctic Lake

I saw a LOT of bear sign when I was out hiking with a rifle during deer season So, I'm going to do a bit of poking around in a couple weeks. I'm around Kamloops up in the mountains and after driving to see no snow at Sun Peaks last weekend I bet it won't be long before they're out.

I have a practical question or two. I'm worried that things might be a bit warm. And if I drop a bear I want to get it cooled down fast. The areas I'm planning to hunt are close to my cabin. I was thinking i could skin and quarter and quickly drop into a chest freezer to cool things down. When I bought the cabin they left a big ole crummy chest freezer. I haven't gotten around to replacing it yet so I might as well use it.

My question is: would a butcher still take it for sausages if it's frozen solid? If not, I could just turn the freezer 'up' and try to use it more as a fridge until I could get it to the butcher.

Follow on questions:

1) I plan to just make some roasts and the rest sausage. Any good sausage makers around Kamloops that you can recommend?

2) I give my dog just a bit of raw food everyday (from the butcher) to supplement kibbles. Would you feed your dog bear meat? I worry about parasites. I would think dogs and bears are susceptible to similar parasites. But, after deep freezing for a couple weeks it might be ok. I would feed venison for example without concern.