Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Black bear season

Re: Black bear season

Seen my first of the year today but I can see his den from my front window lol.

Still too early I may buy a tag in 2-3 weeks

Seen a decent size out on the side of the highway. 6-09

I saw a LOT of bear sign when I was out hiking with a rifle during deer season So, I'm going to do a bit of poking around in a couple weeks. I'm around Kamloops up in the mountains and after driving to see no snow at Sun Peaks last weekend I bet it won't be long before they're out.

I have a practical question or two. I'm worried that things might be a bit warm. And if I drop a bear I want to get it cooled down fast. The areas I'm planning to hunt are close to my cabin. I was thinking i could skin and quarter and quickly drop into a chest freezer to cool things down. When I bought the cabin they left a big ole crummy chest freezer. I haven't gotten around to replacing it yet so I might as well use it.

My question is: would a butcher still take it for sausages if it's frozen solid? If not, I could just turn the freezer 'up' and try to use it more as a fridge until I could get it to the butcher.

Follow on questions:

1) I plan to just make some roasts and the rest sausage. Any good sausage makers around Kamloops that you can recommend?

2) I give my dog just a bit of raw food everyday (from the butcher) to supplement kibbles. Would you feed your dog bear meat? I worry about parasites. I would think dogs and bears are susceptible to similar parasites. But, after deep freezing for a couple weeks it might be ok. I would feed venison for example without concern.

You can give the dog raw Deer, Elk or Moose but not Bear. Like other here say cook the Bear to 165 F. to kill the Trichinosis We make our dog a stew with some brown rice and corn mixed in with the Bear meat.....i hear the dog drooling now as I type this.....

Yes butcher will take frozen deboned meat to make sausage

yes you can feed your dog bear meat but cook it first

My butcher will only take bear meat if it is frozen.
    WSSBC Monarch Silver Member
    WSF Summit Life Member
    RMGA Life Member

The mountains are calling and I must go - John Muir

What if you like hunting bear.. but don’t enjoy the meat? I just can’t get past chewing on bear, but love hunting them.

What is everyone's thoughts to hunting bear may 25th? Too late for prime time? Thinking about going up to Adam's lake or horsefly maybe. Havent shot a black bear yet. Hunted Adam's lake last year at the end of April but didnt see anything, it was too early.

Quote Originally Posted by Shikari300WSM View Post
    What is everyone's thoughts to hunting bear may 25th? Too late for prime time? Thinking about going up to Adam's lake or horsefly maybe. Havent shot a black bear yet. Hunted Adam's lake last year at the end of April but didnt see anything, it was too early.
    Bear are unstable from the second they leave their den till they bed down provided season is open.

If you care about a rug they could be rubbing already but otherwise fair game.

Lots of guys don't start till after may long.

Quote Originally Posted by Shikari300WSM View Post
    Should be perfect

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    Should be perfect
    Appreciate it. I got too picky a couple years ago and took nothing, last year I went out once but it was late April. Now I have opportunity at the end of the month and would really like to fill atleast 1 of my tags!