Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Black bear season

Re: Black bear season

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    Small bears get pushed into crap den sites so often wake first.

There is an advatage with big bears early in the season but not because they wake early. If you find them early you can pattern them do to less food and food being their number one focus they stick to one good spot to start.

The in the snow on slashes thing I have heard before but It has not done much for me. My opinion this theory can from guys finding a big bear that chose a den at high elevation that is feeding on the limited food available before searching out better options. I have found it’s fairly common for big boars to den at higher elevation

I don’t target slashes and opt for natural feeding areas or landings/pullouts/bends on old roads. There is the odd area I make an exception

Late May early June I find best because the boars are roaming so the big boars that don’t come in the open often exposes them selves traveling. Down side it’s harder to pattern a bear so if you don’t make it happen first time you see him he might not be seen again. You may also have the bear you patterned early in the season disappear on you. But if you find a sow with a boar on good feed you can pattern them again

Basically you have an advantage if you find a big boar early but they are easier to find once they start cruzing for sows
    Interesting and good to know. I guess where could also be relevant for that timing. The snow pack will last longer the farther north and higher up you go, some southern areas will have less snow higher up earlier. Maybe next year I will book my VI hunt after may long rather than earlier, but I want a nice hide so thats part of my reasoning. I will be hunting around Kamloops May long and after
    WSSBC Monarch
    WSF Life Member
    2% Certified
    RMGA Member
    CCFR Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darksith View Post
    Interesting and good to know. I guess where could also be relevant for that timing. The snow pack will last longer the farther north and higher up you go, some southern areas will have less snow higher up earlier. Maybe next year I will book my VI hunt after may long rather than earlier, but I want a nice hide so thats part of my reasoning. I will be hunting around Kamloops May long and after
    I went so OCD figuring out spring black bear I have come up with so many things I do to adapt to timing, location and conditions it’s unreal but a lot of it I need to be the one out there hunting to know what path to take

As for the hide thing yes later into the spring you need to watch more but I have taken bears with amazing hides in June as well. I have also taken bears in the first week of May that have rubbed the hair on their face badly.

Late season try north of Kamloops say blue river to valemount can be really good

I will add I don’t do the snow line trick but I have that magic level of green up I chase where the leaves are not fully open but there is a good amount of grass poking through the old brown grass from last year

Been following all the black bear posts over this last year. Really excited to get out. I took a week off in mid may and am really hoping to get one. Thanks to everyone who posts tips and tricks.

Buddy saw one two days ago outside Prince George.

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Lake View Post
    Not sure where I heard it but the old line is "When the Big Black Bumble Bees Are Out The Bears Will Start Coming Out "
    Really thinking of hunting black bear this spring never been before .
    Arctic Lake
    there was one in my shed yesterday that I opened a window to let out...great big mostly black bumble bee...but hunting spots are hard to find in new Westminster...heheheheh

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenthrottle View Post
    there was one in my shed yesterday that I opened a window to let out...great big mostly black bumble bee...but hunting spots are hard to find in new Westminster...heheheheh
    Good one Wideopen !
    Arctic Lake

Going out this morning with my bro in-law, will see what’s doing here in MU8...
    ~
    Adult Onset Hunter
    CCFR Member

Wherever there is Animal Worship there is Human Sacrifice. That is, both symbolically and literally, a real truth of historical experience.
    — G. K. Chesterton

Wide open. Have you tried queenspark yet lol

Got a notice from the Neighbourhood Watch lady here in North Van. Bears are out and tipping over compost piles here now.
    Rob Chipman
    "The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders" - Ed Abbey
    "Grown men do not need leaders" - also Ed Abbey