Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Spotting Scope Input

Re: Spotting Scope Input

Quote Originally Posted by Darksith View Post
    go with the 65mm lens vs the 85mm...its just more weight and volume to pack around IMO.

I might save a bit more and buy a swaro too...well except I have a swaro. Check bird watching sites for second hand stuff too fyi.
    What are some good bird watching sites to keep an eye on? Im on the hunt for a 65mm ATS Swaro. Cheers.

I can pick the 65MM version up for $900, or the 85MM for $1,200. For the price difference, between these or the swaro I'm leaning towards getting the vortex and running it for a few years. I assumed that I would have people suggesting I step up into a swaro or leica.

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

Quote Originally Posted by shleebs View Post
    I can pick the 65MM version up for $900, or the 85MM for $1,200. For the price difference, between these or the swaro I'm leaning towards getting the vortex and running it for a few years. I assumed that I would have people suggesting I step up into a swaro or leica.
    Like I said in an earlier post my brother has used the Vortex Razor for a few years and he's harder on gear than anyone I know and no issues so far.
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

I’ll go against the grain here, as a guy who runs upper shelf gear... I’ve used the Vortex Razor 65 side by side against my Swaro 65... And I’ll say that at last light watching animals at extended distance, the vortex was just a hair clearer, and was just a touch sharper to my eye. You won’t be giving up much in the way of optical quality by going with the Vortex for a few years.

(And DAMN that pains me to type that out, believe me.)

As to the longevity or finish quality, you are paying $1000 less, you takes your chances.

I’m using the Vortex Razer HD 16-48 x 65mm without issue. They’ve been in my pack, riding on my quad/sled and bounced around in my boat and still going strong. Good glass for the money and paired with a Summit SS tripod. I’m a Leupold guy, but can’t complain about these for spending time behind.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

Quote Originally Posted by KodiakHntr View Post
    I’ve used the Vortex Razor 65 side by side against my Swaro 65... And I’ll say that at last light watching animals at extended distance, the vortex was just a hair clearer, and was just a touch sharper to my eye. You won’t be giving up much in the way of optical quality by going with the Vortex for a few years.

I had the same results. I had both set on tripods in my yard glassing people at the top of a local trail viewpoint during the last hour of light. It was very tough for me to be able to see any difference between the glass. For my eyes, the Razor "old HD model" was easier to focus, and I liked it better than the new Razor HD Model. In the end, I picked up a new "old model" HD razor for a bargin price. Straight model with 65mm Obj.

I checked out the viper, razor and Zeiss gravia. To me the two vortex were pretty damn close to the same and I found the Zeiss the worst. I've heard great things about the meopta. Wanted to buy a meopro but no one seems to carry them. Found a good price on the meopta @ $1800 but if I didn't like it I would of still had to buy it. I ended up with a 20-60x 85mm viper for $1000 and change.

I recently picked up a 16-48 65 mm Vortex Razor and have used it very little in the field thus far but when I've had it out, I've been impressed...Vangaurd Veo tripod, very sturdy...

I believe everyone about the quality of the good vortex, that being said though, I run a pair of viper binos that I have been very happy with. Recently I looked through the new swaro binos and there was a big difference. Maybe my old vortex are just losing some of their coating or something...makes me want to upgrade again...yes I know the razor is better than the viper but still haha
    WSSBC Monarch
    WSF Life Member
    2% Certified
    RMGA Member
    CCFR Member

Just picked up a razor 65 angled eye piece, absolutely love it! Extremely clear glass