Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spotting Scope Input

Spotting Scope Input

All,

I am deciding between the Vortex Razor spotting scope w/ either a 65MM or 85MM lens. Wondering what everyone would recommend. My hunting style is currently 65% out of a pack, hiking and the other 35% of the time is driving (depending on what I'm hunting and the area). Ideally, I want to be conscious of weight and pack ability of the scope but am not afraid of it being a bit larger if it is more functional and better performing.

Also, any suggestions for a good, light weight tri-pod to haul around with it would be appreciated.

Thanks.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Spotting Scope Input

Just my opinion, but I'd save alittle more and go for the Swaro ATS 65mm. You're going to get abit more zoom than the 65mm Vortex, with more clarity. You can sometimes find some pretty good deals on used. I use an ATX 65mm and my combo is very similar to yours in terms of spent on road vs backpacking and I dont regret my choice of a 65mm at all.

In terms of Tripod, I just ordered the new Promaster XC-M 522C, pretty excited to get my hands on it, right at about 2.5lbs with a ball head. Under 2lbs with no head, will review and let you know in about a week.
    Life begins where your comfort zone ends

WSSBC Monarch; RMGA; 2% for Conservation Certified; WSF; BCWF

Quote Originally Posted by porthunter View Post
    Just my opinion, but I'd save alittle more and go for the Swaro ATS 65mm. You're going to get abit more zoom than the 65mm Vortex, with more clarity. You can sometimes find some pretty good deals on used. I use an ATX 65mm and my combo is very similar to yours in terms of spent on road vs backpacking and I dont regret my choice of a 65mm at all.

In terms of Tripod, I just ordered the new Promaster XC-M 522C, pretty excited to get my hands on it, right at about 2.5lbs with a ball head. Under 2lbs with no head, will review and let you know in about a week.
    ^^^^ what he said.plus you won't need to use their warranty three times in the first year

Viper 65 will do you fine for 96.5% of the time
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

My brother has both the Vortex Viper and Vortex Razor 15-45x65, optically not a huge difference but I would go with the Razor based on functionality, it’s just a better scope to use, if your back packing a fair bit go with the angled 65mm version,
    spotting scopes get used very little overall, I have the Leica 65 mm and optically not a lot different than the Razor,
    If you do a lot of picture taking with your spotting scope you might want to consider the 85mm but other than that the 65mm is more than adequate.
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

go with the 65mm lens vs the 85mm...its just more weight and volume to pack around IMO.

I might save a bit more and buy a swaro too...well except I have a swaro. Check bird watching sites for second hand stuff too fyi.
    WSSBC Monarch
    WSF Life Member
    2% Certified
    RMGA Member
    CCFR Member

I'm running the 15-45x65 angle razor spotting scope. It's served me well.

This is probably 1000-1500 meters out taken with a phone on a clear day

Solid tripod is key to keeping the image steady... the summit SS isn't that... but it is light.

I've got the 85mm. I like the field of view but wish I would of went with the 65mm. The 85 seems big and cumbersome.

Hmmm..imo go with 65..versus 85..size..weight ..you carry it every step..it is substantially heavier, larger.
    I prefer Swaro .period.
    BigBoar ..Dave..his brother Rob and I sat for many hours..many days glassing morning afternoon. .Dave had tge 85..me tge 65..non of us could see a difference..even at extreme low light glassing the edges..back when grizzly hunting was fun and legal.
    If price is the issue..buy what you can afford..but big difference moving up in quality to Swaro.
    The angled body and 65 is great spotting scope for all reasons.
    Srupp

Ive been using a Vortex spotting scope since 2012. Viper, Razor 16-48x65, Razor 20-60x85, Razor 11-33x50, and now the newest gen Razor 22-48x65. I've liked them all, no failures. Vortex Summit SS tripod since the beginning
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004