Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Spotting Scope Input

Re: Spotting Scope Input

I have the Swaro ATS 65. I have only compared it to the new viper 85 and a Diamondback 65. Everyone agreed the Swaro was noticeably better, the Viper was not terrible but was big and heavy.

65mm is a pretty versatile scope. I cannot speak to the Vortex specifically, but I've never felt "undergunned" with a 65mm while guiding. I know plenty of other guides who pack 65's as well. As long as the glass is up to par, it makes for a compact, relatively light package that gets the job done.

I have the vortex razor 65mm. It's been fantastic bit like most it suffers two big problems at max magnification .... eye relief reduces and the optics get noticeably dimmer. Of course, 85mm model solves that but it is a much bigger and heavier scope.

To be honest, if I was buying again I would go Nikon. My friend just bought one and I cant wait to do a side by side comparison. I expect that it will be better than my razor.

At 82mm it fills the gap well between the 65 and 85. I've been using Nikons higher end binoculars for the last year and I couldn't be happier with them. I wouldn't be surprised if the spotter from their new line is top notch as well

In the USA it's about $1600 but I'm sure can be had for less on ebay or waiting for a sale.

https://www.nikon.com/news/2016/0714...ldscope_02.htm

Quote Originally Posted by todbartell View Post
    Ive been using a Vortex spotting scope since 2012. Viper, Razor 16-48x65, Razor 20-60x85, Razor 11-33x50, and now the newest gen Razor 22-48x65. I've liked them all, no failures. Vortex Summit SS tripod since the beginning

What do you think of the Razor 11-33x50? I love the small size but wonder about it maxing out. Would it be fine for hunting alpine mulies but a no go for sheep?

I would look for a model that offers a wide angle fixed power eyepiece. Something like 30x. That’s the one thing I really wish my vanguard 65mm had. Then it is much more enjoyable to actually look for game, then you could switch to the higher magnification eyepiece to judge if you had to. If I could do it again I would look at the kowa 60mm or maybe the 66. If I had the money I would go for the kowa 55mm. Seems to be the best lightweight spotter in the market.

i run the leica 65 and absolutely love it. i looked through the razor and it was good but not 2500$ good in my own opinion. swarvos are nice as well. i was talking with a owner of a optics place and he said to go with leica over swarvo. he explained a few reasons why. swarvos do have excellent glass but he said swarvo makes their lenses so that green colors pop out more, hence why they look so good while glassing through them but in hunting situations makes it a bit harder to pick out animals in higher brush or treed areas.
    Im also running a carbon fiber 3 legged thing, punk billy tripod with ball head. just under 3lbs with head. and load capacity is like 40lbs, super sturdy and light. can be bought at london drugs for i think 350$ hope this helps!

has anyone ever owned or experienced kowa scopes? any good?

Quote Originally Posted by Treed View Post
    What do you think of the Razor 11-33x50? I love the small size but wonder about it maxing out. Would it be fine for hunting alpine mulies but a no go for sheep?
    I had one, and found it crisp but a little dim. I sold it because I rarely used it.
    When in doubt, just pin it.

Go with a Leupold GR HD. Awesome glass and super compact for pack hunts

Quote Originally Posted by tuffcityhunter View Post
    has anyone ever owned or experienced kowa scopes? any good?
    Kowa makes excellent glass. I have a 77 mm spotter and it wants for nothing