Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Moose hunting in the Omineca Region.

Re: Moose hunting in the Omineca Region.

We identified the probable proximatecause of death for the 97 cow mortalities as
    52 predation (42 Wolf,
    4 Cougar, 6 bear),
    16 hunting (1
    licensed, 15 unlicensed),
    19 health
    -related (9 apparent starvation, 2 failed predation attempt, 1 chronic bacterial infection, 1 peritonitis, 1 prolapsed uterus, 5 unknown health-related),
    3 natural accident,
    and
    7 unknown.

There were 21 calf mortalities which all occurred between
    11 March and 23 May. Proximate probable cause of mortality of calves was
    11 predation (9 Wolf, 1
    Cougar, 1 Bear),
    8 health
    -related (4 apparent starvation, 2 apparent starvation/tick, 1 failed predation attempt, 1 gastro-intestinal infection)
    and 1 vehicle collision
    We recorded a significantly higher proportion of
    health-related(particularly apparent starvation)mortalities (i.e.,45%) in 2016/17 than in 2017/18.
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

I think this article was not about finding out what issues are causing the decline in the moose population. I read this more as a statement that it is time to change what our regulations say we can hunt.

He is saying we should be eliminating/decreasing antlerless hunting opportunities so the cows have a chance to breed and increase the population, and also to eliminate spike fork general open season so they have a chance to mature into bigger breeding bulls. In his theory, it doesn't matter if it is predators, disease, habitat or whatever. The only thing we can do is change what we allow to be harvested and then we can hopefully see some recovery in the numbers. Most of the reasons for moose decline are out of our control, but what we can control is what we are allowed to harvest.

Quote Originally Posted by kurtl View Post
    Most of the reasons for moose decline are out of our control, but what we can control is what we are allowed to harvest.
    Well. Nothing is out of our control as I see it. Limiting hunter harvest is the easiest solution. (Attempt)

Im hunting region 6. Babine lake. There is no Cow or Calf hunt. But Im seeing more cows without calves. Is limiting a bull harvest going to bring back calves being picked off by predators. I don't think so.

Southern region 6 is a good example legal hunting is not the issue

Quote Originally Posted by boxhitch View Post
    We identified the probable proximatecause of death for the 97 cow mortalities as
    52 predation (42 Wolf,
    4 Cougar, 6 bear),
    16 hunting (1
    licensed, 15 unlicensed),
    19 health
    -related (9 apparent starvation, 2 failed predation attempt, 1 chronic bacterial infection, 1 peritonitis, 1 prolapsed uterus, 5 unknown health-related),
    3 natural accident,
    and
    7 unknown.

There were 21 calf mortalities which all occurred between
    11 March and 23 May. Proximate probable cause of mortality of calves was
    11 predation (9 Wolf, 1
    Cougar, 1 Bear),
    8 health
    -related (4 apparent starvation, 2 apparent starvation/tick, 1 failed predation attempt, 1 gastro-intestinal infection)
    and 1 vehicle collision
    We recorded a significantly higher proportion of
    health-related(particularly apparent starvation)mortalities (i.e.,45%) in 2016/17 than in 2017/18.
    Over half of the fatalities are wolf and FN related according to that study...proving again that wolves need to be hammered, and FN need to start being conservationists first, and stop harvesting cows...

'unlicensed' figure may be slightly skewed as a collar is a big detterent, leading to kills of non-collared
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Quote Originally Posted by HarryToolips View Post
    Over half of the fatalities are wolf and FN related according to that study...proving again that wolves need to be hammered, and FN need to start being conservationists first, and stop harvesting cows...

I agree that wolf numbers need to be kept in check as well, but also more responsibility should be put on rescouce compaimies to deactivate/tear out roads that provide easy travel. The fact that FN can hunt at night and have not have some type of per capita allowance for harvest OR even report what hey harvest still blows me away.

Deactivating roads is key in my opinion as well.

Quote Originally Posted by tinhorse View Post
    Deactivating roads is key in my opinion as well.
    Present form of deactivating roads stops nothing but stock trucks and cars. Even at that a chainsaw and logs solves most. ATV, small lift, and samurai/sidekick and they do nothing. With how common deactivations have become most who use BCs backroads are well adapted to deal with them

lots of areas with heavily deactivated or extremely deteriorating road systems are experiencing major decline.

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    Present form of deactivating roads stops nothing but stock trucks and cars. Even at that a chainsaw and logs solves most. ATV, small lift, and samurai/sidekick and they do nothing. With how common deactivations have become most who use BCs backroads are well adapted to deal with them

lots of areas with heavily deactivated or extremely deteriorating road systems are experiencing major decline.
    I totally agree !