View Poll Results: Should Crossbows be allowed on the 3D course?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

11 44.00%
  • No

14 56.00%
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Crossbows on the 3D course

Re: Crossbows on the 3D course

I would also like to apologize for my contribution at getting the original thread of topic

OK It seems that x-bows will be welcomed with open arms. Thats good. Now lets see who shows up. If x-bow shooters are really ethical hunters and really love archery the attendance at 3-D shoots should double this year and we will have a huge x-bow class. If most x-bow shooters are opportunitic hunters riding on the hard work of bowhunters you won't see very many x-bow's at the shoots. What do you think.

Quote Originally Posted by Onesock
    OK It seems that x-bows will be welcomed with open arms.
    Will they? More than 50% said no to them being allowed. I hope they do show up at the events. But it seems the minority will have to go out of their way to make them feel welcome.

OK It seems that x-bows will be welcomed with open arms. Thats good. Now lets see who shows up. If x-bow shooters are really ethical hunters and really love archery the attendance at 3-D shoots should double this year and we will have a huge x-bow class. If most x-bow shooters are opportunitic hunters riding on the hard work of bowhunters you won't see very many x-bow's at the shoots. What do you think.
    I think that attending 3D courses doens't have much bearing on how ethical a hunter is, just like attending shooting matches doens't make you a ethical rifle hunter.

Practice makes you more skilled with your weapon, and a person should inded practice, but where and when you do this practice is irelevent to ethics.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

I think as an ETHICAL crossbow hunter...I wouldn't want to hang out any where near someone with a "tude" like that. It's no wonder there is so much tension about it with comments like that. Geez.
    Beverly

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

I guess I don't fall under the envelope of being an ethical hunter in the archery or rifle catagory since I have never been to a 3D event and haven't been in any competitive rifle shoots in over 15 years.

"Opportunistic hunters riding on the hard work of bowhunters" It's that kind of attitude that keeps me off the 3D courses. I bought my own 3D target last fall for practice with my recurve, at the same time Bev used her crossBOW. End result was a 3D target with a bunch of recurve holes in it from head to tail and a bunch more ALOT closer to the kill zone from the crossbow. No huge difference in the damage between the two.

Did I mention the freezer also has a good store of venison thanks to the young lady's ability with a crossbow?

Take a look at the "check out these sportsmen" thread, ethics have nothing to do with what you are shooting with.

I have a blast practicing with Bev and her crossbow and if some people would quit trying to make xbow shooters uncomfortable you would probably see a rise in archery club/3D shoot memberships.

I'm sure that if a CROSSBOW club had a range setup they would't look down their noses at traditional shooters.

Hunting and shooting of any kind has been getting a bad rap from outside and people need to understand that to save our sport we need to recruit new hunters/shooters and that's not going to happen when people feel uncomfortable or are treated like scumbags because of their choice of equipment.

OK done my novel now
    --------------------------------------------
    "If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting." Aristotle
    --------------------------------------------
    United Bowhunters of BC (Lifer)
    Backcountry Horsemen of BC.

Hunting and shooting of any kind has been getting a bad rap from outside and people need to understand that to save our sport we need to recruit new hunters/shooters and that's not going to happen when people feel uncomfortable or are treated like scumbags because of their choice of equipment.
    I agree and as stated several times i support X-bows both on the 3D course and in the bush. However it would seem the point is moot if the clubs can't get insurance to cover it. If the club has no insurance and their is an incident it will be the executive and directors that end up on the hook for it....I'm not willing to put my personal finances on the line for the sake of a 3D shoot. seems to me this needs to be taken up with the insurance companies.

Chris
    "Do not go where the path may lead,
    go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

I think there are hunters out there useing THEIR choice of archery tackle who don't go to 3D shoots and do not have a holier than thou attitude who sneak into the woods and pass up or harvest animals which I would walk over a thousand miles of broken glass to just get a look at.

Wink Re: Crossbows on the 3D course

i've shot courses with and behind and ahead of xbows.their bolts don't penetrate as deep as even recurve arrows , even though they may be faster than compounds, their arrows are not any thicker, they are mostly 2219 size shafts,so if you shoot 2117 or carbons you may be smaller in diameter but also penetrate deeper due to your heavier arrows.most damage seems to come from faster carbons not using soap or some kind of lube. burns the foam so it takes some out of the hole when you pull the arrows. the only thing that i really noticed was how loud the xbows were compared to everything else being used.the shooters still had to estimate the distance and PLACE THE SHOT CORRECTLY to be good enough to medal up.didn't seem to matter if scopes were used or not , the better distance guessers won out.

Rainwater Guest

I think Onesock had a subtle point, as an organizer of 3D shoots we regulary get 2 (two) X-bow guys out. They are awesome guys. We need more people to get out, our numbers at shoots are dwindling so get your Xbows out and support these clubs, they do things with the money they earn (ie. wildlife projects, school archery etc) so forget the "tudes" (thanks for that one Bev) and go to the shoots.