View Poll Results: Should Crossbows be allowed on the 3D course?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

11 44.00%
  • No

14 56.00%
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Crossbows on the 3D course

Re: Crossbows on the 3D course

Yeah the advent of the thicker shaft throws that argument out the window allright.... i've got some new gold tip shafts that are .390 of an inch!! not sure if I'm gonna shoot them yet or not as my series 22's ( also a fat shaft) are flying so well for me!

Chris
    "Do not go where the path may lead,
    go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Several years back while sharing a Whitetail hunt camp with a crossbow hunter I watched as his bolts at a distance of 60 yd pass thru my practise target and into a frozen pine tree . At a distance of 20 yd my 60 lb recurve`s arrows would penitrate 4in. I had the experience of shooting a 3-d event with a crossbow shooter. If he knew the distance to the target he would pin wheel it every time. Several times I had to warn him not to cock and load his weapon behind me .
    I generally find that because of the stigmatism crossbow hunters have from some archers that they do not belong to archery clubs and therefore find it hard to contribute to archery clubs with their wildlife projects and archery season accusitions. Perhapes their participation in 3-d events would correct this.

REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab On --

Quote Originally Posted by willyqbc
    I'm curious as to why you think a crossbow will damage a target anymore than any other bow bowchunk? Most crossbows out there today are really no faster than a compound, allthough there are some that are, however shooting a light, short bolt they lose speed and energy quickly, and unless your getting passthrough, a holes a hole far as i can see. My 3-d rig is set up as a mirror of my hunting rig and produces somewhere in the neighbourhood of 80 ft/lbs of KE so to me target damage is a non issue.

Chris
    I was under the apearently mistaken impression that they did considerable damage on impact. I have heard stories like those of greybark of passthrough at long range on targets. If this is not the case them I am truely mistaken. I would like to see how they perform on 3D targets to form a valid oppinion...Steve.
    It's better to pass on a shot that you wish later you took, then to take a shot and wish later you didn't.

Crossbows are a unique weapon, do they fit in with firearms or archery. Their make up is using a bolt (long bullet) powered by energy stored by the limbs (gun powder) held by a trigger. Bow shooter uses his body to the hold the draw weight. I consider a crossbow to being like a derringer hand gun. Deadly at short distinces.
    One of my hunting partner hunts with Xbow and is very effective weapon. Are they allowed in other 3-D shoots outside of BC?
    Todd

Hey Nails , The official military defination of the of a soldier`s personnel weapon (rifle) is a firearm that is (1) SHOULDER CONTROLED and (2)TRIGGER OPERATED. If that alone does`t convince one that the crossbow`s method of operation is closer to that of a firearm then to a bow then please read the rule for aiming (3)" YOU ALIGN THE TIP OF THE FORESIGHT IN THE CENTER OF THE REAR APERATURE , PLACE ON TARGET AND GENTLY SQUEEZE THE TRIGGER.
    A Firearm uses steps (1) , (2) and (3)
    A Crossbow uses steps (1) , (2) and (3)
    A Compound uses steps (2) and (3)
    A Traditional Bow uses uses none of the steps.
    It is obvious that the method of operation of a firearm and crossbow are similiar .
    I havn`t voted yet !!!!

REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab On --

I have not voted yet either Greybark. I have my own opinions on this as everyone else. I feel the xbow is a great weapon a very effective weapon that is devestasting on body armour of old. Should it be used as archery tackle or 3D's HUMM.....
    Todd

Well, this is an interesting trail we are weaving with this post. Thought I would resurrect it again.

Q: The crossbow is considered archery tackle by regulation, does that mean if they aren't allowed at 3D shoots there is a bias against them.
    A: No.
    Q: While most archers are working towards confidence and an understanding of their effective range are a traditional bow (accurate from 5 - 20 yards depending on variables) and a crossbow (accurate from 15 - 80 yards) compatable at 3D shoots?
    A: Not always

Q: What is the largest category at most shoots.
    A: Traditional. People want to have fun, the trad bow allows many new recruits to "give it a try". It opens the door to recruitment.

To challenge a crossbow shooter at a 3D shoot would require a variety of solutions when laying out a shoot. One of those might be increasing yardage on shots to separate the very best from the others. At that point, safety may be a very real issue.

Standing at the line, focusing on the target and coming to draw with a compound or trad bow does not present much of a safety issue (in most instances), while drawing the weapon, securing the action and then coming to focus on the target at the line, might.

I have seen crossbows used at shoots and make no mistake about it, they are very hard on targets. Not to mention my back would not want to contribute to the pulling of those bolts. Ten inches of foam penetration would not leave you much to pull on.

Crossbows are considered archery tackle by regulation, does that mean they should be welcome at a 3D shoot. Does a 7mm go to a .22 silhouete shoot?

JT

J T not sure about your numbers as to what is the most popular bow at shoots. Up here I would say that compound bows make up the biggest group then traditional after that. Granted I have only been shooting for a couple of years but the biggest category at any shoot I have been to is men's unlimited which is compound with a release and pins. no scope and stabilizer 12" or under. Just my observations. Mike
    "You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try" Beverly Sills

Hey what's wrong with cross bows on a 3d shoot?? Everybody else has there own catagory, why not crossbows?? I understand that the targets are designed to handle them now. Compound bows are shooting vey fast now. Fill me in on what I'm miss on the subject??

3D Bowman,

At what yardage would you say a crossbow shooter would likely want to practice or have their abilities tested? At a 3D shoot, at what distance would you want to see your targets?

JT