View Poll Results: Should Crossbows be allowed on the 3D course?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

11 44.00%
  • No

14 56.00%
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Crossbows on the 3D course

Crossbows on the 3D course

I am a dedicated compound shooter who has never so much as held a crossbow but as long as they are allowed in the archery hunting season and as long as they don't beat up the targets and compete in their own category I think they shouls be allowed on the 3D course.
    Last edited by Walksalot; 02-10-2005 at 08:29 AM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Crossbows on the 3D course

As long as appropriate safety measures are observed I don't see a problem with that. I can't see them being any harder on the targets than a compound..... so why not? I shoot to see how good I can be..... so I really couldn't care less what others choose to shoot.

Chris
    "Do not go where the path may lead,
    go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

i dont shoot a bow...yet that is cuz it is something i want to get into...but i dont see why a crossbow cant be used a on a 3d range like chris said as long as safety is met...and i do think they should have there own catagory of course...
    Originally Posted by Kechika Proof of sex means your buddy has to take pictures of you pleasuring your deer

We were at a 3d shoot saturday in mission.My buddy who is part of our hunting group didnt participate because he shoots a crossbow.I keep hearing about proper safety measures being taken about crossbows when the topic comes up at the shoots (and it comes up more than you would think).Owning a crossbow and a compound i know first hand the differences of the two , BUT safety measures are safety measures regardless of the bow, rifle or pistol.They all have to be loaded at the line , pointed in a safe direction and discharged properly.With the crossbow it needs to be fired once loaded but that crossbow shooter was at the line to shoot so he is safe to do so.I am talking only on the outdoor shoots when there is only a single shooter at the line with his team behind him.With the 3d targets being crafted better the argument that they destroy the targets really isnt a valid arguement as it has once been.Just my opinion.

I have only been shooting 3D for a couple of years but can't see a problem if crossbows want to participate as long as all safety regs are followed, same as any other shooter. May need more than 1 category for them as i understand some shoot with scopes and some with open sights. The more the merrier. Mike
    "You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try" Beverly Sills

Personally I can't see a reason why not, for safetly measures, what doesn't have safety measures?

Kirby
    Huuked on foniks wurked fur me

Quote Originally Posted by StoneChaser
    Biggest problem with a debate on ethics is the simple fact that ethics are like underwear...everybody has 'em, but some are a little shittier than others

The more welcome the Crossbow shooters feel, the better for archery in general. Fred
    Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

I voted no because I have the oppimion that they will destroy a target faster then other bows. I haven't seen how they do on some of the brand new targets. It would certainly be interesting to see guys walking around with crossbows at a shoot. ust my humble oppinion...Steve.

I'm curious as to why you think a crossbow will damage a target anymore than any other bow bowchunk? Most crossbows out there today are really no faster than a compound, allthough there are some that are, however shooting a light, short bolt they lose speed and energy quickly, and unless your getting passthrough, a holes a hole far as i can see. My 3-d rig is set up as a mirror of my hunting rig and produces somewhere in the neighbourhood of 80 ft/lbs of KE so to me target damage is a non issue.

Chris
    "Do not go where the path may lead,
    go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

i have also heard the arguement that the crossbow arrows are thicker in diameter,thus leaving a bigger hole.Again this is no longer the case.I have met a few of the guys going to the provincials and farther(if good enough) and they are going to a larger diameter with a thinner wall.