Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 17HMR or 22Mag for small game and target shooting?

17HMR or 22Mag for small game and target shooting?

Looking to get a rifle for small game and target shooting. Deciding between a 17HMR or 22Mag? Any recommendation or objective pro's and con's?

Any feedback appreciated

2. Site Sponsor

Re: 17HMR or 22Mag for small game and target shooting?

Interested as well, as I have contemplated the same between the 2 calibers.

I can only comment on the .17. I bought it to practice my marksmanship and have used it on some rabbits and grouse. You want to go for head shots as it can do allot of damage if you hit a bird in the breast.

Mine is the savage with a heavy barrel. I have a 3x9 Leupold Rifleman on it. Mine pretty much lives in the safe these days and I'm actually looking to get rid of it.

Both great calibers and both I hunt with. Under 100yds the 22 WMR will have a bit more energy as it has double the grains of bullet most of the time. 30gr going 2200fps, 45gr going 1650fps at the muzzle and bullets that hold together. After 100yds the 17 shoots flat and holds accuracy well but loses energy past 175. Most practical small game hunting I use the 22wmr in my little badger with a red dot, up to 75yds it shoots great, hits hard, Id be happy taking coyotes and lynx as well as everything smaller. I have a 17 with a big ol scope and its fun for bunnies out to some serious distance but blows chickens up and isnt great for in close work in the bush. Target shooting Id say the 17 because you can really reach out to 250yds and have fun "long range" steel shooting for cheap. 22wmr little badger and a red dot is one of my favourite guns because it is always with me, its 3 lbs and fits in a day pack, never miss a opportunity at small game. my 17hmr CZ 455 with a 6-18x scope is a great gun becuase it feels like a full size rifle and shoots the same. Great pre season practice.
    Last edited by Firstblood; 03-25-2019 at 10:26 PM. Reason: added

i have a 22 WMR and i can shoot it out to 200 yard quite confidently. i did a lot of research before i bought it and what i have come up with is the 17 does shoot flatter and a little more accurate at farther distances but the bullets fall apparat on impactt where the 22 bullets hold solid. 17HMR is better for ground and rabbits and targets and the 22 WMR is better for coyotes and lynx in my opinion. however i have shot the head off many grouse with my 22.... that gun doesn't miss!

Get both! I have a cz 455 that takes about 10 minutes to swap barrels between 17hmr and 22lr. There is also a 22wmr option. The 17 shoots in a dime at 100 hours yds, but can cause a lot of damage if not head shot. Fun to shoot 17hmr, but mine stays in 22lr for grouse and rabbits in the bush.

Maple Ridge, Horse Lake but sometimes the dog house

I have a 17HMR and the standard 22LR. 22 is gentler on the mea damage, but as mentioned if you take headshots the 17 is awesome. I have a heavy barreled Savage with the laminated thumbhole stock. Not something you want to pack all day but great for range practice or in the vehicle fr small game.
    Cody: It's a pretty cool sidearm you got there. What is it?
    Four Leaf Tayback: I don't know what it's called. I just know the sound it makes when it takes a man's life.

Marvin Boggs

Frank, I never thought I'd say this again. I'm getting the pig!
    Frank, we gotta get rid of this broad. I know a great place up the road. Lots of alligators.

Marvin: If there's one thing I know, it's women and covert operations.
    Frank: Marvin, that's two things.
    Han Cho Bai: No, grasshopper. It is not.

I had the same situation ended up with a .17hmr, I’m quite impressed with how accurate it is, I also picked up a .17 wsm when wholesale sports shut down, I have yet to put a scope on it and try it though.

I just bought a stainless/synthetic CZ 455 in 22 WMR. I went with the bigger caliber because I want to use it on Lynx and Bobcats, and I read that the 22 WMR is better for killing the larger versions of small game. My friend bought the exact same rifle in 17 HMR and they both shoot great.

I had a 17 and sold it in favour of a 22 mag.
    Both are accurate as hell at 100 yards but the 22 mag is a little less affected by wind drift at longer yardage.
    Where I live there always seems to be a bit of a breeze.
    Have taken a lot of gophers with both but prefer the 22 mag for coyotes as it seems to anchor them faster
    Promoting the sport of Archery and Bowhunting
    NCCP and IBEF Certification

Custom Knives and Game Calls

Quote....."Life's tough......it's even tougher if you're stupid"........John Wayne
    Quote....."It is far better to be alone than in bad company"........ George Washington