Thread: Light weight tripods for swarvoski spotter suggestions ?

Light weight tripods for swarvoski spotter suggestions ?

Hello, looking for suggestions for lightweight tripod for my swarvoski spotting scope STX 20-60x85. Will be doing a northern bc backpack hùnt. I have a nice heavy duty manfrotto currently but it's much to heavy. I find this spotter very front heavy, like to get the 65 objective but no budget for that. Any suggestion would be helpful. 

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Light weight tripods for swarvoski spotter suggestions ?

In order of price: Gitzo 1540 series, Sirui T-1205x, Slik 624/634. I picked up a used 1540t and it works well. It's better to go with a cheaper tripod and better head than a skookum tripod and a cheap head.

What would you suggest for a head, I haven’t really used a ball head much. Just pan heads, the manfrotto 700RC2 caught my eye along with there befree compact tripod selection. Only place close to me is London drugs. They have manfrotto and 3 Legged thing brand which seems pretty decent but with a ball head. Hard to pay lots of coin over the internet and not being about to test run first.

Slik 624 has been discontinued but there new model 635 is awesome if your not planning on standing while glassing. Sirui va-5 would be my choice over the manfrotto 700rc2 unless money is not a concern as if that was the case get an outdoorsman panhead

I use the outdoorsman panhead and I love it, makes an incredible difference I've found when tracking animals. especially after a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Helitech View Post
    Hello, looking for suggestions for lightweight tripod for my swarvoski spotting scope STX 20-60x85. Will be doing a northern bc backpack hùnt. I have a nice heavy duty manfrotto currently but it's much to heavy. I find this spotter very front heavy, like to get the 65 objective but no budget for that. Any suggestion would be helpful. 
    No budget??? ... Why not trade your 85mm with someone that has a 65mm and wants the 85? Probably end up with money in your pocket at the end anyways. Yours is worth more!

I would agree. If you got a quality carbon tripod/outdoorsmans pan head and a 65mm euro spotter in a neoprene stay-on cover you're set for life

Have the 65mm and use Slik 624. Only downside is one can’t stand while spotting. Bought neoprene cover from cabelas and it’s been great.
    Live to Hunt...

Figure out your requirements for dimensions and then go shopping
    weight, length, extended height
    the difference of 500 gr. changes the list fast
    Kerrisdale Camera has a good selection
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

www.outdoorsman.com all you could ask for...buy once cry once