Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Are Crossbows Threatening the Tradition of Bowhunting?

Re: Are Crossbows Threatening the Tradition of Bowhunting?

Maybe, maybe not, crossbows are as old as long bows in historical terms, granted technology has taken them to a new dimension. I hunt with a crossbow only because of an old shoulder injury i can pull it back but can hold on target for mare than about 3 seconds. I do find the range is less than a long bow.
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check
    Made payable for an amount of 'up to
    and including my life'. That is Honor, and there are way too many people
    in This country who no longer understand it.'
    You only walk this Earth once,
    make sure your tracks are deep.

Anti-hunting groups must just love these topics.

Several years ago I helped a guy track a poorly hit whitetail he shot. He stalked the deer in the from across a cutblock and when he couldn't get any closer, he shot. When I ranged from where the deer was standing to where he shot from it was 47 yards. I said that's a hell of poke with a recurve, he replied ya, longer than I practice but it was a hell of a big buck. I found that deer the next morning, well I should say the coyotes got it and I found what was left.

Does the fact that someone uses a compound or longbow automatically make them a traditionalist and more ethical that a crossbow shooter? Or is it that some "traditionalists" just have their feeling hurt because some chose to take advantage of technology, or just don't view bowhunting through the same glasses as they do?

I've hunted with a compound on and off since 2001, taken 15 deer, 4 elk, and a bear. I couldn't give a rats a$$ about the traditional side of it.

I bowhunt because it offers seasons and opportunities I couldn't get with a rifle. Fact is, I was eyeing crossbows at Cabelas today. I just don't have time or desire to practice year round with my compound anymore. The only reason I shot allot last summer was because I had an Elk LEH. But now that that's done,I think it would be nice just to pick up a scoped crossbow when I want to buzz down the road and hunt the bow/shotgun area. Oh wait, shotguns!!! How can they be allowed in the woods blasting buckshot around when I wants to traditionally bowhunt. Lets get them next and make it a longbow/recurve..."maybe compound" bow only area

Making the assumption that all crossbow hunters are lazy, opportunistic, unethical hunters is no more reasonable than anti's
    claiming firearms owners are criminals and all guns should be made illegal.
    Last edited by Ron.C; 03-23-2019 at 07:10 PM.

The complaint is that crossbows offer a technological advantage over other bows.

This argument seems misleading when we view multiple videos of 100+ yard kills with compound bows. A more honest argument might be that ALL archery equipment has undergone a radical transformation from "primitive" weapons to high tech, and the arguments that a crossbow offers an unfair advantage are not founded in reality.

The title is about the "Traditions of Bowhunting" What the hell is traditional about using a high tech compound bow with equally high tech arrows and sighting systems to accurately hit targets 100 yards away? If the authors concerns are to be taken seriously, he should be honest about advancements in compound bows and their increased ca[ability of killing game. Otherwise, it just looks like some guy whining about what the other guy is using to hunt.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

I will just get a note from the doctor for the xbow, it doesn't bother me to pack out an Elk though, that part seems ok.

Quote Originally Posted by 325 View Post
    Everybody "runs" to this because it's the crux of the issue. Who decides what's more ethical or fair chase?? If you disadvantage yourself by using traditional bows, are you a more ethical hunter?. Puke
    Why would you use the term "disadvantage yourself"?? You have missed the entire point of bow-hunting. At least for me, it is to challenge one's self to get close enough and overcome obstacles that are not so prevalent while rifle hunting. How we behave with whatever chosen weapon we happen to have in our hands is the only thing that has to do with ethics. Ethics is an action choice, not an equipement choice. Now if you choose to use an more technologically advances cross bow over a long bow, recurve bow, or compound bow to take advantage of the hunting seasons fought for by those who shoot those bows, well it's legal and good for you, but that is not the spirit in which we struggled to get those seasons. Using a stick bow is not disadvantage to us, it is a fantastically pleasurable and rewarding way to hunt game.
    "Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye;
    Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark."

"A man's got to know his limitations"

Quote Originally Posted by Ron.C View Post
    Anti-hunting groups must just love these topics.

Several years ago I helped a guy track a poorly hit whitetail he shot. He stalked the deer in the from across a cutblock and when he couldn't get any closer, he shot. When I ranged from where the deer was standing to where he shot from it was 47 yards. I said that's a hell of poke with a recurve, he replied ya, longer than I practice but it was a hell of a big buck. I found that deer the next morning, well I should say the coyotes got it and I found what was left.

Does the fact that someone uses a compound or longbow automatically make them a traditionalist and more ethical that a crossbow shooter? Or is it that some "traditionalists" just have their feeling hurt because some chose to take advantage of technology, or just don't view bowhunting through the same glasses as they do?

I've hunted with a compound on and off since 2001, taken 15 deer, 4 elk, and a bear. I couldn't give a rats a$$ about the traditional side of it.

I bowhunt because it offers seasons and opportunities I couldn't get with a rifle. Fact is, I was eyeing crossbows at Cabelas today. I just don't have time or desire to practice year round with my compound anymore. The only reason I shot allot last summer was because I had an Elk LEH. But now that that's done,I think it would be nice just to pick up a scoped crossbow when I want to buzz down the road and hunt the bow/shotgun area. Oh wait, shotguns!!! How can they be allowed in the woods blasting buckshot around when I wants to traditionally bowhunt. Lets get them next and make it a longbow/recurve..."maybe compound" bow only area

Making the assumption that all crossbow hunters are lazy, opportunistic, unethical hunters is no more reasonable than anti's
    claiming firearms owners are criminals and all guns should be made illegal.
    At least you are honest
    "Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye;

Quote Originally Posted by Brez View Post
    Why would you use the term "disadvantage yourself"?? You have missed the entire point of bow-hunting. At least for me, it is to challenge one's self to get close enough and overcome obstacles that are not so prevalent while rifle hunting. How we behave with whatever chosen weapon we happen to have in our hands is the only thing that has to do with ethics. Ethics is an action choice, not an equipement choice. Now if you choose to use an more technologically advances cross bow over a long bow, recurve bow, or compound bow to take advantage of the hunting seasons fought for by those who shoot those bows, well it's legal and good for you, but that is not the spirit in which we struggled to get those seasons. Using a stick bow is not disadvantage to us, it is a fantastically pleasurable and rewarding way to hunt game.
    First of all, I don’t own a crossbow

Secondly, your elitist crap is exactly what the hunting community doesn’t need right now.

Are you aware that several countries prohibit bow hunting as it is seen as inefficient and more likely to wound game? Be cautious about excluding other hunters from your little club. You may need their support someday to maintain the extra season you say you worked so hard for.
    Last edited by 325; 03-23-2019 at 07:42 PM.
    I won't always be young, but I can be immature forever

Quote Originally Posted by 325 View Post
    First of all, I don’t own a crossbow

Secondly, your elitist crap is exactly what the hunting community doesn’t need right now.

Are you aware that several countries prohibit bow hunting as it is seen as inefficient and more likely to wound game? Be cautious about excluding other hunters from your little club. You may need their support someday to maintain the extra season you say you worked so hard for.
    I don't see what I have stated as elitist crap. It is the truth. I was a part of it. I don't know you and I assume that you were not. It seems very easy nowadays to assume an air of entitlement to the rewards and privileges that those gone before have worked and struggled for. At the very least you could acknowledge that you are reaping those rewards. You seem to have no idea whatsoever of the basis' that we convinced the government to give us bow hunting seasons.You are assuming that I am against crossbows. I am not - used at the correct time for the correct purposes. In closing, it sounds like the "crap" is coming more from you. Have a great day and try to have a civil conversation with the next guy.

BC doesn’t have much for archery season it has no adults using firearms season lol

**** all the Fudd shit ! This is getting stupid... next you fudds will want to ban crossbows... shut the phack up already.
    BLACKRIFLESMATTER