Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Are Crossbows Threatening the Tradition of Bowhunting?

Are Crossbows Threatening the Tradition of Bowhunting?

Toelke Whip TD 66" #42
    Joe Ryan XRD 62" #45
    45-70, 375 Ruger, 303 British, 30-06,
    30-30, 22 LR, 17 HMR

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Are Crossbows Threatening the Tradition of Bowhunting?

Yes it is. Technology is a factor in all hunting methods. We seem to be more focused on the statistic of success over quality experience. We are not at war with wildlife, we are one with it and guiding principles of fair chase should apply.

Quote Originally Posted by J_T View Post
    Yes it is. Technology is a factor in all hunting methods. We seem to be more focused on the statistic of success over quality experience. We are not at war with wildlife, we are one with it and guiding principles of fair chase should apply.
    So only recurve/long bows allow for fair chase?
    I won't always be young, but I can be immature forever

Quote Originally Posted by 325 View Post
    Everyone runs to this lol

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    Everyone runs to this lol
    Everybody "runs" to this because it's the crux of the issue. Who decides what's more ethical or fair chase?? If you disadvantage yourself by using traditional bows, are you a more ethical hunter? Or is it more ethical to use technology that provides for more accurate placement of an arrow (or bullet for that matter).

Is it safe to assume that those who use older technology when hunting more closely adhere to the principles of fair chase? And that those who adopt technological innovation are at "war" with wildlife?

Honestly, even though I'm a bow hunter (I have a compound and a recurve) I really dislike the "holier than thou" attitude.

Elitist bow hunters are the social justice warriors of the hunting world. Puke
    Last edited by 325; 03-23-2019 at 02:36 PM.
    I won't always be young, but I can be immature forever

hmm, didn't say that. Why assume that? I think more accurately, my comment was about technology, in all methods of hunting.

Everybody "runs" to this because it's the crux of the issue. Who decides what's more ethical or fair chase?? If you disadvantage yourself by using traditional bows, are you a more ethical hunter? Or is it more ethical to use technology that provides for more accurate placement of an arrow (or bullet for that matter).

Is it safe to assume that those who use older technology when hunting more closely adhere to the principles of fair chase? And that those who adopt technological innovation are at "war" with wildlife?

Honestly, even though I'm a bow hunter (I have a compound and a recurve) I really dislike the "holier than thou" attitude.

Elitist bow hunters are the social justice warriors of the hunting world. Puke
    Hunted with all three have no problem with any of them and don’t think any of them make you more ethical. As long as you’re not a idiot out there shooting beyond your limits I see no issue of ethics

I do view them as all very different nothing against Xbows but they personally just don’t feel like bow hunting. Fun short range weapon and this is no shot at those using xbow’s I don’t call it bow hunting.

I find the whole situation funny crossbow hunters trying to claim they are no different then bow hunters claim xbows are far to superior as a guy with a compound takes deer at 80yards+ Lol

I feel archery season should be for archers the ones that put there time in to become accurate with there weapon not just sight it in and pick it up the day before season. Take it how you want.
    Toelke Whip TD 66" #42
    Joe Ryan XRD 62" #45
    30-30, 22 LR, 17 HMR

I went down to the Rock creek area this past season for a late season whitetail hunt and I was disappointed to see how many people we seen just riding around on atvs with xbows strapped to the front . Come on road hunting during archery season. That's not archery that's just out there cuz they want to kill something nothing else.
    Toelke Whip TD 66" #42
    Joe Ryan XRD 62" #45
    30-30, 22 LR, 17 HMR

I wonder how much of the increase in harvest in the states is in relation to the rise in QDM. Anyone who can drive around with a crossbow strapped to an ATV, cock it and load it well a whitetail stands there has earned that deer. Now, you and three buddies each climb into a tree stand over different food plots that all of you have meticulously maintained all spring and summer, cut or blocked all pathways so you can control routes, and only go into on days of favourable wind... I don't care if what you use to harvest the deer you will be successful. Crossbows don't take as much practice to get you there. Hunting in the states is not like it is in BC.
    I don't shoot innocent animals... Just the ones that look guilty!