Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Are Crossbows Threatening the Tradition of Bowhunting?

Re: Are Crossbows Threatening the Tradition of Bowhunting?

New technology? Crossbows have been around for about 2000 years starting in China and then 1500 years later in Europe.
    'The bible says the end is coming soon, I hope I get my cabin built by then'
    Richard ‘Dick’ Proenekke

I shoot both.
    To me, the 'challenge' is the stalk, not what type of bow I'm using. Same as fly vs gear fishing. I do both depending on the target.
    I don't understand the elitist types that want to ban methods that are different than their chosen method. They do nothing to further hunting. They only divide us.

The biggest hardship of a "stick" bow is pulling it back and holding for the shot, especially the shot on game.
    I have been shooting bow off and on for nigh on 60 years. In that time, recurves came into being and I switched to those from the traditional long bow. Came a time in the mid '70s that I could not hold my 45# Browning recurve because of bursitis in the left shoulder. Friends were shooting early Allen 4 wheel compound bows, noisy contraptions with very minimal let-off. I passed on them and took a sabbatical from archery until the late '80s when I purchased a PSE compound to be followed some time later by another PSE bow which offered substantial let-off. Recently, my shoulders decided to act old and even with the let-off the force of draw and hold took a toll on both shoulders and it got traded off.
    Enter a new era. After picking a few brains and asses, I decided to buy a crossbow. Several of our members recommended Excalibur because of the simplicity of the bow and how little tuning was required with a recurve. I was well acquainted with the requirements required to keep my compounds tuned so an Excalibur was a no-brainer. After passing on some fine deals, one came to me late last year and I took the plunge. So now I am getting up to batting a bear and perhaps a turkey.
    As previously mentioned, crossbows have a very long history dating back several centuries BCE. So they are definitely not new technology like compound bows.
    And they do not have an advantage that most people preceive. Yes you can shoulder them like a firearm and hold them for that shot. Accuracy may be somewhat better but anyone that thinks their range is greater than a compound bow are sadly mistaken. All one has to do is look at the kinetic energy of an 18" bolt and compare it to 30" arrow sporting the same weight broadhead to come to the conclusion that such differences are minuscule.
    Then consider the rate that each can be fired. Bows have the distinct advantage of being able to fire successive arrows in a shorter period of time to the time it takes to re-cock a crossbow, place an arrow in the rail and then fire it off. Shooting stick has a very distinctive advantage.
    In conclusion, those that think crossbows are threatening the tradition of bowhunting are not informed and have developed an elitist attitude. Crossbows were used by royalty in the middle ages to hunt stag in England, so there I rest my opinion.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

The reason I use a crossbow is because I've torn my meniscus twice and it is hard to draw a compound bow and painful to hold at full draw. So either I use a crossbow or don't hunt the archery season.
    if people of color do it, it's "affirmative action" "civil rights", etc, etc. If a bunch of white folks do it....its "racist" and "hate speech" quote Willyqbc

Quote Originally Posted by 300H&H View Post
    The reason I use a crossbow is because I've torn my meniscus twice and it is hard to draw a compound bow and painful to hold at full draw. So either I use a crossbow or don't hunt the archery season.
    Yah man. I all for you having that right.

“I’m better than you” over and over is what I read in this thread. Very much like an anti echo chamber. “Oh, but I still righteous because I have a shoulder injury” is the next most common refrain. Like saying “But I have several friends of colour”. NDP/Federal Liberal convention material here.

Quote Originally Posted by emerson View Post
    “I’m better than you” over and over is what I read in this thread. Very much like an anti echo chamber. “Oh, but I still righteous because I have a shoulder injury” is the next most common refrain. Like saying “But I have several friends of colour”. NDP/Federal Liberal convention material here.
    WOW Emerson...don't get your panties in a knot.
    I was just giving my reason for choosing a crossbow. It allows me to hunt more. Never at all saying I'm better than anyone.
    BTW I vote PC since you mentioned Lib/NDP.
    if people of color do it, it's "affirmative action" "civil rights", etc, etc. If a bunch of white folks do it....its "racist" and "hate speech" quote Willyqbc

As a kid, I had a 35lb recurve that I used to shoot, so when I started hunting I got a compound bow before a gun. Seemed like a natural first step. I was shocked at how easy it was to become proficient. As long as you can judge distance well (which I do for work) and control your nerves, you can shoot animals. I have never used a crossbow but I can't imagine it is that much easier than a compound with pins - except you take the strain of your shoulder. The benefit of bowhunting is that it forces you to broaden how you hunt. I hunt the same way with a gun now as I do with my bow - slow stalk through the forest. I do it because I love doing it. At the end of the day, the day has been awesome. Some days, I curse the fact that I left my bow behind, other days I wish I'd brought my gun. If a guy wants to bomb around on an ATV with crossbow, good for him. If he comes away with the feeling "damn, that was an awesome day!", then he made the right choice for himself. Longbow, recurve, crossbow, gun, spear (for the brave or insane) - its all about the experience and what you value about it. Is one method of hunting more ethical?? Ethics aren't related to your choice of weapon, they are how you chose to use your weapon. The animal doesn't give a damn how it got shot, but how well it got shot should matter to us.

Thumbs up Re: Are Crossbows Threatening the Tradition of Bowhunting?

Quote Originally Posted by Treed View Post
    As a kid, I had a 35lb recurve that I used to shoot, so when I started hunting I got a compound bow before a gun. Seemed like a natural first step. I was shocked at how easy it was to become proficient. As long as you can judge distance well (which I do for work) and control your nerves, you can shoot animals. I have never used a crossbow but I can't imagine it is that much easier than a compound with pins - except you take the strain of your shoulder. The benefit of bowhunting is that it forces you to broaden how you hunt. I hunt the same way with a gun now as I do with my bow - slow stalk through the forest. I do it because I love doing it. At the end of the day, the day has been awesome. Some days, I curse the fact that I left my bow behind, other days I wish I'd brought my gun. If a guy wants to bomb around on an ATV with crossbow, good for him. If he comes away with the feeling "damn, that was an awesome day!", then he made the right choice for himself. Longbow, recurve, crossbow, gun, spear (for the brave or insane) - its all about the experience and what you value about it. Is one method of hunting more ethical?? Ethics aren't related to your choice of weapon, they are how you chose to use your weapon. The animal doesn't give a damn how it got shot, but how well it got shot should matter to us.
    MOST EXCELLENT SIR!!!

Thank You!
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Thanks Nog. That means a lot coming from you. I have a lot of respect for what you post here.
    Last edited by Treed; 03-28-2021 at 01:48 AM.