Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Are Crossbows Threatening the Tradition of Bowhunting?

Re: Are Crossbows Threatening the Tradition of Bowhunting?

Quote Originally Posted by limit time View Post
    **** all the Fudd shit ! This is getting stupid... next you fudds will want to ban crossbows... shut the phack up already.
    I heard there might be a slingshot season in the future.
    - proficiency test
    - 3/8" minimum bearing size
    - no wrist supports allowed- not sporting
    When in doubt, just pin it.

To be clear, according to the title of the thread, it would seem to me that crossbows are not threatening the tradition of bow hunting, on the contrary, they are advancing the tradition of bow hunting. It is part of the evolution of the sport/activity/skill.

However, by the perspective and tone of this thread, it seems the question should be: "Are crossbows threatening long bow tradition".

Crossbows are a "bow" weapon with a lot of history, though not as old as the long bow – obviously. As such, they seem to be able to take advantage of technology in ways that make the learning curve not as steep to master compared to the long bow, whether recursive or compound.

However, before anyone complains one way or the other, is there any real data that says more game is harvested by crossbow hunters than long bow hunters? Is the technology in crossbows making a significant impact on the competitive advantage of one hunter over another?
    Facts are needed here if a debate is to have any legs.

Although a crossbow is easier to master, you will usually hear the joy from a successful long bow master, or adept student of the longbow who tirelessly puts in the time required to physically attain high proficiency for an ethical kill shot at range. The reward system parallels what athletes experience in competition success. It is not elitism, though it is not for everybody. That doesn't mean there aren't elitist attitudes about it, similar to some people with shitty attitudes who work out a lot and look down on 'soft' people (not hard bodies).

For the record I am a super novice with the longbow (meaning I suck, and wouldn't attempt to hunt with it yet), and I have an appreciation for the physical demand and practice it will require of me. That is part of the reward. Knowing you put the effort in to accomplish the end goal of successfully and ethically harvesting game.

Now if we're talking strapping a crossbow to an atv and charging through the wood blasting bucks run and gun style, I'm afraid that doesn't do much for me. I feel the same way about hunters at free ranges on crown land who don't pick up after themselves (I exaggerate), though I think it's a disservice to the land and their fellow hunters. I feel technology should be utilized to improve your chances, but not at the expense with impacts that are destructive.
    ~
    Adult Onset Hunter
    CCFR Member

Wherever there is Animal Worship there is Human Sacrifice. That is, both symbolically and literally, a real truth of historical experience.
    — G. K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by IslandWanderer View Post
    I heard there might be a slingshot season in the future.
    - proficiency test
    - 3/8" minimum bearing size
    - no wrist supports allowed- not sporting
    If it pulls to a length less than 18.5” it’s restricted and only kept in a central lock up.
    Last edited by limit time; 03-23-2019 at 09:57 PM.
    BLACKRIFLESMATTER

LOL Another ban something because I don't agree with it thread...and I don't mean the original post.

I personally don't give two shits about how any one hunts and kills game, as long as it is legal. This crossbow vs any other type of bow is just another arguement that will never solve or change anything, so why waste your time?

I hunt with a CROSSBOW, in a ground blind over BAIT with LIGHTED NOCKS and a MECHANICAL BROADHEAD.....Flame away....Hahahaha

Cheers

SS

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    "In spite of what some members of this site choose to BELIEVE, None of our opinions are any more important than Dog Shit"!

Quote Originally Posted by limit time View Post
    If it pulls to a length less than 18.5” it’s restricted and only kept in a central lock up.
    Slingshots are also restricted if all black- assault slingshots.
    When in doubt, just pin it.

Quote Originally Posted by J_T View Post
    Yes it is. Technology is a factor in all hunting methods. We seem to be more focused on the statistic of success over quality experience. We are not at war with wildlife, we are one with it and guiding principles of fair chase should apply.
    Congratulations, you have just won the most arrogant post ever on HBC, job well done. So god to the archery hunting world, i have 2 bum shoulders, one reconstructed the other toast from being a pitcher (hardball) till i was 25. So now i cannot use a traditional or compound bow, i guess it is time to sell all my hunting gear and take up knitting I must say your continual arrogance on this site is tiring, off to the ignore list you go!!!
    Last edited by Piperdown; 03-24-2019 at 06:10 AM.
    Avatar is for all the conspiracy theory nut bars, for all the crow they have to eat when everything implodes

I've never heard of someone who isn't vaccinated getting polio

Trump will win big time in 2020

Why is it that rednecks from Alberta can't get enough of men in dresses, they simply lose their shit

Recent Nanaimo transplant to Williams Lake

I too used to have a bow, but with torn rotator cuffs and operations I can not pull back a bow any longer. I do not know why anyone believe crossbows are not traditional equipment since they have been around since 4 th century BC. Yes the style and materials have changed, but they have always been able to deliver impact further and more accurate than most bows, just as everything with bows have changed also. What is the difference other than easier to use and easier to learn to be proficient ?
    "People who know the least always argue the most."

"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right, you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."

Quote Originally Posted by Piperdown View Post
    Congratulations, you have just won the most arrogant post ever on HBC, job well done. So god to the archery hunting world, i have 2 bum shoulders, one reconstructed the other toast from being a pitcher (hardball) till i was 25. So now i cannot use a traditional or compound bow, i guess it is time to sell all my hunting gear and take up knitting I must say your continual arrogance on this site is tiring, off to the ignore list you go!!!
    Apologies. Sorry you feel that way. Perhaps my reply to the original poster when I said, "Yes it is" was seen as a reply to the title of the post. Not the case. My reply was to his statement, "Interesting Article". There was nothing in my statement intended to be targeted at any one weapon. My point was about technology.

I do understand being judged and never being able to be viewed differently by those who have passed judgement. Lots of assumptions and accusations online, rather than wanting to understand more by asking questions.

I was starting to wonder how many posters on here actually read the article. Might have been a different discussion. I guess if you've blocked me now, you won't read this.

No wonder the hunting community struggles to make any progress.

Worry about how you hunt and support others no matter which method they choose. I shoot a compound and couldn't care less if everyone else out there was shooting crossbows. They aren't ruining the spirit of anything. Folks who think they have some moral or ethical authority because they shoot a different method are.
    "The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom."

Quote Originally Posted by J_T View Post
    I was starting to wonder how many posters on here actually read the article. Might have been a different discussion. I guess if you've blocked me now, you won't read this.
    JT, I read the article. My post was in response to a the posts from traditionalists that were obvious slams against crossbow hunters.

I took the Bowhunter Education course a number of years ago. Good course "I think it should be mandatory for every bowhunter". Allot of talk on proficiency, ethical shot distance, shot placement..... But I've seen some scary %^&* on 3d courses from guys that hunt with longbow, recurve, and compounds. Allot were new to archery and/or hunting and like me didn't have a mentor and probably learned by bad experience. We "myself included" shouldn't of been allowed in the field with that equipment until we were more proficient. "Really wish I was made to take the IBEP course before I started". Now I will argue all day long that it is FAR easier to be proficient with a crossbow than any other type of archery tackle. The ONLY reason I see this being a problem is that there is now more irons in the fire and this pissed them the traditional guys right off.

A few years ago, there was a thread on archery only seasons. Lots of rifle hunters complaining as to why bowhunters as get separate seasons. Once again, hunters against hunters. As I recall in that thread, you (JT) made mention of archery being used as a management tool as alternative to LEH. I believe my response was something to the fact that in my area, the archery/shotgun zone is not as much a management tool, but hunting opportunity where we are in proximity to urban areas. Either way, both good solutions that provide a hunting opportunity. No one was being excluded. Get a bow, get proficient and join the fun.

Jump ahead a few years and lots of hunters are joining in "due to the ease of being proficient with a crossbow in comparison to vertical bows". And its seems that the "traditional guys" in general don't like it. And its my opinion that most bow only seasons are now seeing allot more hunting pressure. And this pisses the traditional guys off. So maybe the solution here is use LEH to control the hunter numbers in all archery only seasons and let hunters chose which type of bow they want to use? If you want to use a bow beyond LEH, have at it, join in with the GOS guys.

During my recent LEH, ALL elk hunters I encountered or spoke to landowners about, had or were using a crossbows. I was the only one using a vertical "compound". This was one of the coveted mid Island Roosevelt LEH's. I suspect allot of guys that apply for this don't even buy a crossbow until after they get drawn. So now you have crossbow guys watering down the odds on LEH archery opportunity. Landowners I spoke to could care less because most of them see elk get harvested on their property and for them, they want elk numbers reduced.

It's pretty clear to me what the main source of the issue is and its not the guy who choses to hunt with a crossbow.
    Last edited by Ron.C; 03-24-2019 at 08:11 AM.