Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Are Crossbows Threatening the Tradition of Bowhunting?

Re: Are Crossbows Threatening the Tradition of Bowhunting?

Quote Originally Posted by Treed View Post
    Thanks Nog. That means a lot coming from you. I have a lot of respect for what you post here.
    Ben
    Yikes, awkward bro.
    When in doubt, just pin it.

I don't have any issue with guys that use crossbows. It isn't archery though, the two are completely differnet. Not a bad thing at all but you can't shoot a bow really good and expect it to transfer to a crossbow. Two compelty differnet sports minus the overlap of same seaon and hunting techniques.

Damn. Did I cross a line!?

Arrow Re: Are Crossbows Threatening the Tradition of Bowhunting?

Quote Originally Posted by Treed View Post
    Damn. Did I cross a line!?
    Nope. Perfectly alright to express respect.
    Appreciate yours, and did mean what I said.
    Very well worded, and closely reflects the way I feel in this matter as well.

Ignore the overly immature Peanut Gallery comments, they are simply intended to get a rise.

Have a great day!

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

My shotgun has a shorter range than most compounds, and its more traditional... I should apply to use it in the archery season!!! Hard to sharpen all that buckshot into broadheads. Maybe I should saw off the butstock so its harder to use. That way the traditionalists will have less to complain about. "Oh no I didn't just sight this is in and go hunting... no no no sir, I practiced daily to be a shitty shot with it."

If proficiency testing was made mandatory I wonder how many purists would be using crossbows. Surely we have better things to do than sit around pointing fingers at fellow sports persons.

my take on technology and hunting. generally the more technology used in hunting the more success you will have. Success leads to more game taken. At some point if we take too much game the seasons will be shortened as well as bag limits on all species. There are many reasons why we hunt and they differ from each other quite often. Social hunters....people who like to get out and hunt with others , camping and enjoying the outdoors where the social aspect is what they enjoy. Meat hunters.....those who want to get their great tasting organic wild game generally with minimum effort ( but they can still work their asses off to get it too ) . outdoor hunters...those that primarily want to experience wildlife and the scenery and solitude where bagging game is secondary...
    Hardcore hunters..those who enjoy the hunt the chase..can be guys who will use any weapon at their means. Can be guys who limit there success by using more difficult weapons to master.

The bottom line is we should support all hunters who are ethical and within the law. I was hammered on by many two years ago because I don't believe you should hunt turkeys with a rifle. That is my opinion for many personal reasons . Fair chase and safety are my PERSONAL concerns . If I ran into a riflehunter chasing turkeys I would certainly treat him with respect but I would want him to not hunt the area I was in or any other close range turkey hunter. I don't want to re open that debate as there are some here I really have no time for on this matter.

What to remember with the crossbow is it has a history of archery.but it was used in warfare. It is probably not much more accurate than a compound bow when held freehand . The thing with technological advances in bowhunting equipment is the success rate goes up and it can and has shortened seasons in alberta on mule deer . So we all sometimes have our own personal agenda . If you want longer more generous bowhunting seasons , the harvest rate has to stay well below rifle success .

All these parameters come into play with sound game management. I generally hunt traditionally with recurve bow or longbow because I like the challenge and enjoy getting up close and seeing the game in a intimate setting. I still bring out my ruger #1 and my shotgun on occaisional hunts. I would love to shoot a turkey with my blackpowder shotgun.i

my last point ..if your hunting for meat, do it safely and use any means within the law . If you like rifle hunting. Keep your shots at safe distances both for other hunters you might not see behind your quarry itself. If you hunt for the experience of the chase...try to limit yourself to closer hunts where stalking or intercepting critters at close quarters is your goal..you'll never forget it if you take a large animal like an elk moose or deer at 15=20 yards !!!! or a strutting Tom at 10-20 yards !!!
    Crossbows are a hotly debated topic among bow hunters and likely always will be . My vote is use them if you are disabled in archery season . Or use them in the general season . Just my opinion . Not saying it is wrong . I hunt primarily for the enjoyment of the chase and outdoor experience . I believe it is in my genes to do so and I emphasize the other reason and equally is for the great meat !!!! I also support hunting apex predators for sound game management and keeping them in correct numbers and respectful and afraid of human contact so they as well as we can have quality in the outdoors.

lol kinda got sidetracked ...

my answer to the question is ..no it is not threatening the "tradition " of bowhunting. It might threaten the length of the seasons in other provinces where the season is longer than in BC .
    Last edited by bluesman; 04-23-2019 at 11:27 AM.