Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Are Crossbows Threatening the Tradition of Bowhunting?

Re: Are Crossbows Threatening the Tradition of Bowhunting?

Quote Originally Posted by IslandWanderer View Post
    There should be government run qualifying days at local ranges. If you can't get a 1" group at 100 yards - no licence. (after providing proof of residency and agreeing to not shoot wolves of course)
    And if you can get 1/2” at 100 while drinking a beer you get a Grizz tag !!
    BLACKRIFLESMATTER

There should be government run qualifying days at local ranges. If you can't get a 1" group at 100 yards - no licence. (after providing proof of residency and agreeing to not shoot wolves of course)
    I'm assuming this is a joke...

Shooting qualifications sound like a decent idea in theory. In practice, in Canada- not so much.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Dumb idea, so when i applied for my ATC, i had to do a proficiency test with a registered instructor, after shooting from the required ranges and positions he scores my shots. I ask him what score do you need to pass, he says none, i could have missed the targets every shot, as long as i handled the gun properly i pass.
    Avatar is for all the conspiracy theory nut bars, for all the crow they have to eat when everything implodes

I've never heard of someone who isn't vaccinated getting polio

Trump will win big time in 2020

Why is it that rednecks from Alberta can't get enough of men in dresses, they simply lose their shit

Quote Originally Posted by Piperdown View Post
    Dumb idea, so when i applied for my ATC, i had to do a proficiency test with a registered instructor, after shooting from the required ranges and positions he scores my shots. I ask him what score do you need to pass, he says none, i could have missed the targets every shot, as long as i handled the gun properly i pass.
    Agreed, good thing I was just being a smart-ass. If it's alright to ask, was it so you could carry a firearm in the bush for protection?
    When in doubt, just pin it.

Agreed, good thing I was just being a smart-ass. If it's alright to ask, was it so you could carry a firearm in the bush for protection?
    Yes it was, for my mining claim
    Avatar is for all the conspiracy theory nut bars, for all the crow they have to eat when everything implodes

I've never heard of someone who isn't vaccinated getting polio

Trump will win big time in 2020

Why is it that rednecks from Alberta can't get enough of men in dresses, they simply lose their shit

It's all about putting a sharp broad head through the heart/lungs of an animal... how you do it matters not. Some guys who used to shoot "conventional" bows can no longer pull a bow (for various reasons) yet still enjoy the hunt...
    . . . . .If I don't respond to your postings, maybe it is because you are on my "IGNORE" list
    . . . . . . . . . . . . I don't see the garbage you write. It's a wonderful tool

Quote Originally Posted by guntech View Post
    It's all about putting a sharp broad head through the heart/lungs of an animal... how you do it matters not. Some guys who used to shoot "conventional" bows can no longer pull a bow (for various reasons) yet still enjoy the hunt...
    Amen brother.. i shot compound til i blew my shoulder out, then bought a crossbow. Still takes the same amount of stalking abilities to get within range..

Once you are there, who cares what propels the arrow/bolt
    "It's not the kill, but the thrill of the chase" - Deep Purple

"Lord knows I'm a Voodoo chile" - SRV (RIP 8-27-90)

"Know your Land, Know your Prey" - Mantracker

http://www.youtube.com/user/welderse...e=results_main

No crossbows are not ruining archery hunting. I hunted with one once. It was awkward and heavy, hated it. If someone wants to drive around on a quad with his crossbow,go for it. To each his own as long as its legal.

I heard about this thread being a bit "heated".
    I am not a bow hunter of any type.
    I have dabbled in it, especially when I was a kid and very few folks did it (compared to all the changes and technology being a good factor as to why it is so popular now, imo)

To me, this whole CrossBow vs Traditional debate is, in my opinion, mostly created by those that now do not like the
    "extra inclusion" of hunters in a season that was all to there selves (again, imo)
    I think many hide behind the crossbow being too easy and don't want to admit that there real "anger/piss off" was seeing
    more folks than before.
    I know I spoke to one hunter once, with bow, who got all upset that there were "so many guys out there".
    That's when it becomes obvious to me as to the real issue.

Are Crossbows easier, hell yes they are for a beginner.
    I have fired both and you cant argue that you are not more "consistently accurate" as a beginner trying both right out of
    the box.(With practice, both are equal then, but not with the first 10 arrows, imo).

But both require stalking or good game calling and patience.
    Neither has the advantage there.
    Both still sling the same arrow.
    You aren't going to see many 100+ yard shots from either.
    And thus, "why we have a bow season"!

This whole bow season was to give some extra opportunities for some.
    To get them to chase game before the rifle guys get out there.
    (to be honest, by the time the bow guys have had their first week of fun, the game has now gone into hiding for everyone
    else, but I am good with that).

And, it has allowed or could allow for a late season.
    Again, something all bow hunters should feel "privileged" about!
    Also, using an arrow does allow some to get permission in more populated areas, imo.
    Another thing to be thankful for with both types.
    Many wont give permission with rifle hunters.

And yes, if you guys cant figure it out, than I am all good having it just LEH.(meaning rifle or bow)
    In other words, if you cant play nice, the toys get taken away!!

AND, if you cant beat them, you always are free to "join them".
    If it is about technology, and now you feel disadvantaged, one can always buy a crossbow to "compete" with all that
    extra competition. (hey, I still use flies when fishing, not plugs and gang trolls etc, BUT, it's "my choice"!)

As far as some needing to switch to Crossbow due to health.
    I get that better than most.
    Having a destroyed shoulder, I just cant pull the string back!
    BUT, with a really good "Back Pack" I can distribute weight to carry a reasonable weight of game out.
    SO, just an FYI on ones health, don't ever judge someone about health unless you actually do
    "walk in their shoes"!!
    Being one that deals in pain all day long, I too sometimes still see others who say they have some sort of pain, and
    although it doesn't show outright, I still sometimes question their "disability" also,
    AND I SHOULD NOW BETTER.

Pain is a funny thing, and making a movement one way is very hard, while a different movement is okay.
    So lets not judge folks on their ability to not pull a string back but can pack out.
    That's not fair.

Right now, just enjoy that there is a bow season.
    Understand that there are many out there that are passionate about hunting, and that you are not alone and thus
    you are going to bump into others when out there.
    Some will have bows, some will have crossbows.
    You both have a common interest...hunting.
    And that should make us all friends!

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post

Right now, just enjoy that there is a bow season.
    Understand that there are many out there that are passionate about hunting, and that you are not alone and thus
    you are going to bump into others when out there.
    Some will have bows, some will have crossbows.
    You both have a common interest...hunting.
    And that should make us all friends!
    I'm with you. I don't see the point of this thread when hunting is being attacked. Who cares who is the purest of em all.
    No need to create division among hunters. ... very Trudeau of you.
    Get out and hunt as much as you can.