Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Are Crossbows Threatening the Tradition of Bowhunting?

Hybrid View

Are Crossbows Threatening the Tradition of Bowhunting?

Toelke Whip TD 66" #42
    Joe Ryan XRD 62" #45
    45-70, 375 Ruger, 303 British, 30-06,
    30-30, 22 LR, 17 HMR

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Are Crossbows Threatening the Tradition of Bowhunting?

Yes it is. Technology is a factor in all hunting methods. We seem to be more focused on the statistic of success over quality experience. We are not at war with wildlife, we are one with it and guiding principles of fair chase should apply.

Quote Originally Posted by J_T View Post
    Yes it is. Technology is a factor in all hunting methods. We seem to be more focused on the statistic of success over quality experience. We are not at war with wildlife, we are one with it and guiding principles of fair chase should apply.
    So only recurve/long bows allow for fair chase?
    I won't always be young, but I can be immature forever

Quote Originally Posted by 325 View Post
    Everyone runs to this lol

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    Everyone runs to this lol
    Everybody "runs" to this because it's the crux of the issue. Who decides what's more ethical or fair chase?? If you disadvantage yourself by using traditional bows, are you a more ethical hunter? Or is it more ethical to use technology that provides for more accurate placement of an arrow (or bullet for that matter).

Is it safe to assume that those who use older technology when hunting more closely adhere to the principles of fair chase? And that those who adopt technological innovation are at "war" with wildlife?

Honestly, even though I'm a bow hunter (I have a compound and a recurve) I really dislike the "holier than thou" attitude.

Elitist bow hunters are the social justice warriors of the hunting world. Puke
    Last edited by 325; 03-23-2019 at 02:36 PM.
    I won't always be young, but I can be immature forever

Everybody "runs" to this because it's the crux of the issue. Who decides what's more ethical or fair chase?? If you disadvantage yourself by using traditional bows, are you a more ethical hunter? Or is it more ethical to use technology that provides for more accurate placement of an arrow (or bullet for that matter).

Is it safe to assume that those who use older technology when hunting more closely adhere to the principles of fair chase? And that those who adopt technological innovation are at "war" with wildlife?

Honestly, even though I'm a bow hunter (I have a compound and a recurve) I really dislike the "holier than thou" attitude.

Elitist bow hunters are the social justice warriors of the hunting world. Puke
    Hunted with all three have no problem with any of them and don’t think any of them make you more ethical. As long as you’re not a idiot out there shooting beyond your limits I see no issue of ethics

I do view them as all very different nothing against Xbows but they personally just don’t feel like bow hunting. Fun short range weapon and this is no shot at those using xbow’s I don’t call it bow hunting.

I find the whole situation funny crossbow hunters trying to claim they are no different then bow hunters claim xbows are far to superior as a guy with a compound takes deer at 80yards+ Lol

Everybody "runs" to this because it's the crux of the issue. Who decides what's more ethical or fair chase?? If you disadvantage yourself by using traditional bows, are you a more ethical hunter?. Puke
    Why would you use the term "disadvantage yourself"?? You have missed the entire point of bow-hunting. At least for me, it is to challenge one's self to get close enough and overcome obstacles that are not so prevalent while rifle hunting. How we behave with whatever chosen weapon we happen to have in our hands is the only thing that has to do with ethics. Ethics is an action choice, not an equipement choice. Now if you choose to use an more technologically advances cross bow over a long bow, recurve bow, or compound bow to take advantage of the hunting seasons fought for by those who shoot those bows, well it's legal and good for you, but that is not the spirit in which we struggled to get those seasons. Using a stick bow is not disadvantage to us, it is a fantastically pleasurable and rewarding way to hunt game.
    "Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye;
    Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark."

"A man's got to know his limitations"

hmm, didn't say that. Why assume that? I think more accurately, my comment was about technology, in all methods of hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by J_T View Post
    Congratulations, you have just won the most arrogant post ever on HBC, job well done. So god to the archery hunting world, i have 2 bum shoulders, one reconstructed the other toast from being a pitcher (hardball) till i was 25. So now i cannot use a traditional or compound bow, i guess it is time to sell all my hunting gear and take up knitting I must say your continual arrogance on this site is tiring, off to the ignore list you go!!!
    Last edited by Piperdown; 03-24-2019 at 06:10 AM.
    Avatar is for all the conspiracy theory nut bars, for all the crow they have to eat when everything implodes

I've never heard of someone who isn't vaccinated getting polio

Trump will win big time in 2020

Why is it that rednecks from Alberta can't get enough of men in dresses, they simply lose their shit

Quote Originally Posted by Piperdown View Post
    Congratulations, you have just won the most arrogant post ever on HBC, job well done. So god to the archery hunting world, i have 2 bum shoulders, one reconstructed the other toast from being a pitcher (hardball) till i was 25. So now i cannot use a traditional or compound bow, i guess it is time to sell all my hunting gear and take up knitting I must say your continual arrogance on this site is tiring, off to the ignore list you go!!!
    Apologies. Sorry you feel that way. Perhaps my reply to the original poster when I said, "Yes it is" was seen as a reply to the title of the post. Not the case. My reply was to his statement, "Interesting Article". There was nothing in my statement intended to be targeted at any one weapon. My point was about technology.

I do understand being judged and never being able to be viewed differently by those who have passed judgement. Lots of assumptions and accusations online, rather than wanting to understand more by asking questions.

I was starting to wonder how many posters on here actually read the article. Might have been a different discussion. I guess if you've blocked me now, you won't read this.