Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Caribou Recovery Enguagement

Re: Caribou Recovery Enguagement

We can blame everything else but us seems to be the way things are now.
    We ruined the whole cycle of mother nature in BC over the past 60 or so years.

Quote Originally Posted by tipper View Post
    60 years ago poison was used to control predators....
    It is well to try and journey ones road and to fight with the air.Man must die! At worst he can die a little sooner." (H Ryder Haggard)

Quote Originally Posted by tipper View Post
    Mother Nature is a cruel bitch who doesn’t give a damn which species make it or not. Many species went extinct long before mans intervention. Now that we recognize that our activities have such a negative effect on things it would be grossly irresponsible to throw up our hands and say “let nature sort itself out”.

Quote Originally Posted by boxhitch View Post
    Revelstoke Monday
    Nakusp Wednesday
    Enderby Thursday
    Is there a link for time/place etc?

Thanks Cub Driver. Filled it out.
    This is our opportunity to be heard!

gcreek:

Thanks for the info on goats. I don't know how many you need for a sustainable hunt, but there are a lot there, that's for sure. Very cool being able to see so many. I'm thinking of taking my wife back just for that.

Also cool about the sheep. I'd heard there were sheep there in the past, but I'd also heard that goats out compete sheep and were the reason for the sheep's demise. Not sure how accurate that is. Like I say, that area is an interesting proposition for some serious study for all sorts of reasons - it's a park, so fewer roads, less logging, etc. It's got island populations, so that's also interesting in terms of connectivity.

I forget where the mountain is, maybe just west of Chilko or around Brittany or something, where a local told me there was a band of sheep (maybe Cardtable Mountain?) Anyway, isolated populations and connectivity dynamics always are interesting to me. It applies to those Itcha caribou as well.

"It isn't the folks on the ground that makes me suspicious, it is those above them and those above them that make the decisions for various other reasons and motives that make me question."

Yeah, we need to figure out a way to have 2 different relationships - 1 with bios who provide good info, and another with government on a "keep 'em honest" basis. Just voting and talking with MLAs isn't enough. We need some pictures we can threaten to release or something.

Bugle:

"Yup, the local "non-hunting" community needs to know the problems start with the Preds like wolves."

I think part of the problem is that people think of Never Cry Wolf and also think that nature balances itself. They don't consider the idea that man has thrown the balance out of whack, at times favouring predators to the detriment not only of ungulates, but eventually preds themselves.

Slightly related example (I think Nog might have out this on FB recently) - as grizzly expand out of the greater Yellowstone habitat (it's at carrying capacity) and as hunting them has been squashed, government euthanization of problem bears is reaching record levels. Road to hell, meet good intentions.
    Rob Chipman
    "The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders" - Ed Abbey
    "Grown men do not need leaders" - also Ed Abbey

CMH Heli-skiing and Summer Adventures is asking Nakusp’s village council to get involved in the debate to make sure new rules protecting the caribou don’t hurt job creation or the local economy.

Dave Butler, the Director of Sustainability for CMH, wrote to the village last week asking it to “add its voice” to the development of caribou protection policies in the area.

“I’m very concerned for tourism businesses like ours, I’m very concerned for other natural resource-based businesses (forestry, mining, etc), for public recreation and communities like Nakusp,” Butler wrote to council.
    Of main concern is the way habitat will be protected under the federal-provincial agreement. Butler says CMH’s concern is that this agreement, which actually applies for the central mountain caribou herds, will be used as a template and applied to southern herds.

[T]he approaches proposed have significant potential to shut down or reduce economic activities in areas designated by the federal government as “critical caribou habitat”,” Butler writes. “…[T]he draft agreement specifically talks about tenure deferrals and segregation, reducing tourism and recreation, and ensuring “90% undisturbed habitat.”
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

[QUOTE=Rob Chipman;2086776]gcreek:

Thanks for the info on goats. I don't know how many you need for a sustainable hunt, but there are a lot there, that's for sure. Very cool being able to see so many. I'm thinking of taking my wife back just for that.

Also cool about the sheep. I'd heard there were sheep there in the past, but I'd also heard that goats out compete sheep and were the reason for the sheep's demise. Not sure how accurate that is. Like I say, that area is an interesting proposition for some serious study for all sorts of reasons - it's a park, so fewer roads, less logging, etc. It's got island populations, so that's also interesting in terms of connectivity.

I forget where the mountain is, maybe just west of Chilko or around Brittany or something, where a local told me there was a band of sheep (maybe Cardtable Mountain?) Anyway, isolated populations and connectivity dynamics always are interesting to me. It applies to those Itcha caribou as well.

"It isn't the folks on the ground that makes me suspicious, it is those above them and those above them that make the decisions for various other reasons and motives that make me question."

Yeah, we need to figure out a way to have 2 different relationships - 1 with bios who provide good info, and another with government on a "keep 'em honest" basis. Just voting and talking with MLAs isn't enough. We need some pictures we can threaten to release or something.

Bugle:

"Yup, the local "non-hunting" community needs to know the problems start with the Preds like wolves."

I think part of the problem is that people think of Never Cry Wolf and also think that nature balances itself. They don't consider the idea that man has thrown the balance out of whack, at times favouring predators to the detriment not only of ungulates, but eventually preds themselves.
    Part of the problem is that many of the non-hunters don't have a clue on what really goes on out there but in saying that there is many hunters that do not have a clue either. Yes humans have thrown things out of whack.
    Slightly related example (I think Nog might have out this on FB recently) - as grizzly expand out of the greater Yellowstone habitat (it's at carrying capacity) and as hunting them has been squashed, government euthanization of problem bears is reaching record levels. Road to hell, meet good intentions. Yes and will say it again this is why this has to be shown to the non hunters they think buy shutting down hunting they are saving the animals they don't see how many are put down, these pics or numbers need to be shown so much of it is kept hidden or quiet, many don't have a clue what goes on out there.

Premier Hogan in Dawson Creek regarding southern mountain caribou

https://www.energeticcity.ca/2019/04...ibou-recovery/