Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Caribou Recovery Enguagement

Re: Caribou Recovery Enguagement

Just come from the one here in Tumbler.
    Looks like to me it's all about the reconciliation to the Natives,
    Not one municipality has been asked for their input.
    West Fraser and Canfor reps were in the crowd, also saying they haven't been consulted.
    Makes one wonder where it's all headed.
    Trudeau is a Neya Noonan Utim Tugeye

This consolation is sounding similar to what I am hearing from friends in Alberta regarding the castle park in the south and bighorn in central. Neither of these have anything to do with FN but instead NDP govt and environmental groups

likely some of the same players are involved

To me it does not matter what the driver behind the caribou recovery is. Wildlife, including Caribou has been mismanaged. If we as a society are unwilling to give up something, the caribou will not survive. This may mean less logging, mining, oil and gas, some job loss, some access restrictions, less return to investors etc. The caribou only have their environment and habitat. Caribou cannot speak for themselves, so if we do not speak for them, we will loose them. Until habitat is restored, predators need to be eliminated or controlled in these caribou areas. Ultimately, wolves and other predators will not be a problem if they have nothing to eat.
    An internet search indicated that some enviromental groups, including Y2Y pettioned the federal Government under the SARA legislation for protection for these caribou. This to me does not matter! If we do not protect the wildlife and their habitat we will have nothing to hunt, and the anti's will win by default.

after reading through all of that it really looks like they are still sitting on the fence in all aspects.

No snowmobile closures as of yet...coming in may though after community consultation
    making sure industry is looked after...like sorry too bad at this point in time is my opinion
    Trying to ensure no federal orders come down (so put on a good face to keep the feds out but don't really do much that will be effective)
    working on reconciliation...I don't even understand how that is relevant to protecting the caribou

Im not very impressed with this. They had no problem locking down ATV for hunting in region 3 after the fires, but are super worried about snowmobile clubs?
    WSSBC Monarch
    WSF Life Member
    2% Certified
    RMGA Member
    CCFR Member

What industry is being looked after? How do you figure that?

In Chetwynd the West Fraser rep flat out said that if it is pushed through the way it is written that their mill will close and jobs will be gone overnight.

That town will die out.

So Cub Driver, please explain why the Caribou up in the Yukon or disappearing..Zero industrial activity up there, something else is making it happen.
    How would you like it if you were the one losing your job over this..
    Trudeau is a Neya Noonan Utim Tugeye

Caribou are declining in the Northern Rockies where there in no development (BC northern herds) as well. There is no or insufficient research being done regarding all northern caribou herds to explain the declines. If there is no agreement regarding the local central group of the southern mountain caribou herds, the Feds can and probably will issue an emergency order that local people or the provincial government will have no control over and the results could be much more severe. If the Feds issue an emergency order it will have an impact on all southern herds from Graham herd all the way south to the border.

Quote Originally Posted by eric View Post
    So Cub Driver, please explain why the Caribou up in the Yukon or disappearing..Zero industrial activity up there, something else is making it happen.
    How would you like it if you were the one losing your job over this..
    Same issue with the Naraway herd, there is no real industry out there, but they are declining. Doing nothing because we are uncertain is not the answer either, clearly something has to be tried(that does not mean that I think this proposal is necessarily the correct way to go about this).

I was also at the Tumbler Ridge meeting, and to be honest, if people want to be heard and have their opinions actually considered instead of going in one ear and out the other then I'd suggest less angry ranting, wolf whistling and cheering after comments, and accusatory statements being thrown around with no real supporting evidence, it just makes folks sound less credible even if the point they are trying to make is legitimate.

I have heard more than a couple people in town state that there would be no problem if all caribou were just helped along their already declining path towards extirpation......makes me not so proud to be a member of the community.

I can understand that habitat needs to be put aside for future wildlife and caribou are declining. The issue lies with this situation looks more like groups exploiting the caribou as an excuse to shut the area down without evidence that this will save the caribou heard at all

Is this really about caribou or is it really an agenda to create a protected area and caribou are just a tool used to push for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cub Driver View Post
    Caribou are declining in the Northern Rockies where there in no development (BC northern herds) as well. There is no or insufficient research being done regarding all northern caribou herds to explain the declines. If there is no agreement regarding the local central group of the southern mountain caribou herds, the Feds can and probably will issue an emergency order that local people or the provincial government will have no control over and the results could be much more severe. If the Feds issue an emergency order it will have an impact on all southern herds from Graham herd all the way south to the border.

Nailed it. With Federal intervention there won’t be anybody who is happy with the outcome...