Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Rifle in sheep country

Re: Rifle in sheep country

Quote Originally Posted by mod7rem View Post
    I’ve been hunting sheep every year starting in 2003 and the last thing I would be worried about is having enough gun for grizzlies. I’ve seen maybe a half dozen in all those trips and so far no bad encounters. I think you’d have a better chance of getting in a car accident on your way there. I also think that in reality, if sh*t really hits the fan, your chances are poor whether you have a 270 win or a 338 win.
    I would recommend taking the rifle that you are the most comfortable and practiced with.
    That's true. I seen two g bears on my first sheep trip. One of them was in the mountains, other was at the bottom of the valley on our way out. Only reason I am trying to get different opinions is because I am still learning

Quote Originally Posted by AllDay View Post
    Thanks for the replies. Still new to this. Just looking for some input on the topic. It's different getting dropped off in the mountains vs. hiking 30 km on foot through old horse trails to get into the mountains. Still dumb enough to hike in off the highway. I feel like a fly in trip will happen after this year.
    Not too much different actually, very common to get dropped off on a remote lake, river or airstrip, then hike 30kms on horse trails to find sheep

Quote Originally Posted by mod7rem View Post
    Not too much different actually, very common to get dropped off on a remote lake, river or airstrip, then hike 30kms on horse trails to find sheep
    Haha I guess when I fly in I'll find out! I thought the sheep were just waiting for you at the landing zone haha.. Either way, thanks for your input!

There are a few attack a year. Going on a back country hunt puts you into a higher risk group but you are probably statically a hell of a lot safer than a taxi driver in the lower mainland - and none of them wear seat belts!

You are fine with a 270 Win.
    Find some books on good old Jack O'Connor.
    I think he more than anybody made that cartridge legendary while hunting in North America, especially here in BC.
    Or a 7mm mag if you wanted added security and a great ballistic rifle for sheep.

Most hunters strap their rifle securely in their pack so it really doesn’t matter if that’s your plan. I like having a bigger caliber rifle in grizz country. And I never put it on my pack, possibly saved my life and fiancé’s life this fall with a snarling black bear. I was also bluff charged this year by a grizz and felt better having a 300wm, rather than a 6.5 creedmoor. I’m hoping I never have to pull the trigger on a charging bear again but with the grizz hunt shut down and more human bear encounters it might be smart to use a bigger caliber rifle...
    I'm sure the wolves are not in the area to howl Kumbaya at the moon and eat granola. "Ourea"

Quote Originally Posted by Bustercluck View Post
    A little bit off topic, but who uses a bear fence or warning system when they’re in bear country? I’m also planning a sheep hunt this year and my partner wants one but I don’t really care. I think the best defence is not having any kind of food or smelly scents in your tent.
    I haven't hunted sheep, but goats and use a Pac Alarm around my tent.

on a side note as you asked about caliber, I now use a 7mm-08 for all my big game hunting. Figured it's better to hunt with a rifle/caliber that I shoot well and enjoy carrying. And its better than my bow or muzzle loader in the unlikely event I have to shoot at a Gbear.
    Last edited by Ron.C; 03-20-2019 at 07:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by zippermouth View Post
    Most hunters strap their rifle securely in their pack so it really doesn’t matter if that’s your plan. I like having a bigger caliber rifle in grizz country. And I never put it on my pack, possibly saved my life and fiancé’s life this fall with a snarling black bear. I was also bluff charged this year by a grizz and felt better having a 300wm, rather than a 6.5 creedmoor. I’m hoping I never have to pull the trigger on a charging bear again but with the grizz hunt shut down and more human bear encounters it might be smart to use a bigger caliber rifle...
    I usually carry the rifle through most of the areas on the hike in. If I ever need a break it's in the quick draw sling, which is pretty fast.

I realize chances are slim but I like to have the right tool for the right job. Definitely appreciate all the different view points

Quote Originally Posted by AllDay View Post
    Thanks for the replies. Still new to this. Just looking for some input on the topic. It's different getting dropped off in the mountains vs. hiking 30 km on foot through old horse trails to get into the mountains. Still dumb enough to hike in off the highway. I feel like a fly in trip will happen after this year.
    Dont overlook the hike in!! Flying in is a blast, and if you sheep hunt, you should definetly do it! It’s a great experience. On that note, of 7 fly in’s and 3 hike in, it was my 3rd hike in where I found my first ram, almost 30km’s from the truck lol.

On the bear subject, I’m a 100% believer in a good dog. My pack dog has saved my butt twice from grizzly, the first wasn’t such a big deal, but sure could have been, the second time, my dad and I would have had a fight on our hands if it wasn’t for my dog. But on that note, a dog can also make things worse, proper training is very important.

Quote Originally Posted by decker9 View Post
    Dont overlook the hike in!! Flying in is a blast, and if you sheep hunt, you should definetly do it! It’s a great experience. On that note, of 7 fly in’s and 3 hike in, it was my 3rd hike in where I found my first ram, almost 30km’s from the truck lol.

On the bear subject, I’m a 100% believer in a good dog. My pack dog has saved my butt twice from grizzly, the first wasn’t such a big deal, but sure could have been, the second time, my dad and I would have had a fight on our hands if it wasn’t for my dog. But on that note, a dog can also make things worse, proper training is very important.
    What kind of dog are we talking about? I am toying with bringing my mutt out with me but she might be to small at 35 lbs. Shes built solid and has great instincts but I would worry about her getting tangled up with a pred.