Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Rifle in sheep country

Re: Rifle in sheep country

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    The Fail Safe were a good choice for my Husky 270, like them a lot and used it on a lot of elk.
    But, no longer make them.
    Still have Federal with Nosler Partitions, which is good bullet for elk, it was just my husky didn't like them that much.
    (might have been the powder rather than bullet, imo.)
    But, at close range, they will still hit their mark.
    So a few of those in the pocket while sheep hunting was what I did.
    The rifle loved the old style 130gr boat tail silver tips (better than the newer silver style ballistic tip ...plastic).
    So that was the bullet I used when goat and sheep for distance.

Most elk one can be brought in/dropped at close range, so pin point accuracy isn't as crucial.

So basically, as long as a really well constructed bullet will hit reasonably well on paper at 100 yards, you have a good
    bullet for gbear after sheep etc is down.

Just make sure the ammo you use for sheep, and thus sighted in for, will also not be too far off for the bear ammo.
    I found using Winchester for my rifle worked best, and even if it was sighted in for say a 130gr silver tip, if I threw in
    and fired off a heaver bullet, like fail safe, impact point didn't change much, just up and down.
    Going from Winchester 130 to Federal 150 partition led to some left and right and up and down bs.
    But again, at 30 yards or so, if a bear wont leave you alone, it will hit him.

That's how I addressed it.
    I remember that, used to have a 270 Whitworth and those silver tips worked well.
    That was my first rifle and I should have kept it.
    WLM
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it. - Clint Eastwood
    "Lots of critters to still shoot. And there'll be no quitters until we bag some critters" - 180grainer
    "Politicians should wear sponsor jackets like Nascar drivers, then we know who owns them" - Robin Williams

Flush the Turd!

Located and residing on the unceded territory of European Settler's traditional land.
    Click here to learn more 🖕

Quote Originally Posted by northof49 View Post
    ya they are hell on dogs....and a disaster in the back country if you can’t get the quills out. Usually they will be deep in mouth up in the nose and around or in eyes. It is a horrible situation for sure. If you can’t remove the quills they will continue to migrate inward because they are barbed. Just try pushing one into clothing and try to pull it out. Hard sitution to deal with holding dog down and trying to avoid getting bit....ugly ugly ugly and very upsetting.
    Agreed, mine tangled with one out on a bird hunt. Pulled the first one out myself, just miserable. Packed up and headed to the vet. Did not enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by decker9 View Post
    My dog is a husky/Shepard I was told when I got her, she’s about 70lbs in the fall. With a dog a person is up against buckbrush and sharp shale, at times a guy has to take the longer way around to avoid some areas for sure. Iv had to pack my dogs pack more then once because of thick brush. A smaller dog might actually get around better then a bigger dog lol.

I believe a well trained dog is key, Iv heard many counts of a dog bringing a bear back to the owner. One thing I found once I started packing my dog tho, she pays 100% attention to me and what I’m doing, it’s like she has a job then, and loves it. The “heel” and “stay” type commands seem a lot more effective when her pack is on.
    Good insight on changing your route due to the dog. I didnt think about that.

My dog loves her pack too. I think your right, it's like a sense of pride they have while wearing it haha. She is trained well, her recall and stay commands are good but I'm not sure how she would react around a pred. Her personality says stand her ground and make alot of noise but who knows until it happens.

Quote Originally Posted by russm View Post
    35 pounds worth of getting away time lol
    Hahahaha I guess that wouldn't get me far. I need a bigger slower dog haha

Quote Originally Posted by Weatherby Fan View Post
    My nephew stopped a charging Grizzly at 9 yards with a 300 WSM and 180 TTSX, they worked just fine.
    I wanna hear that story. Jesus!

270 win is plenty..my mountain rifle is a Kimber Montana in 280 AI.

I think shot placement is just as important as the calibre used.

Quote Originally Posted by whitlers View Post
    I wanna hear that story. Jesus!
    Hes still POOPing ! lol RJ

Arrow Re: Rifle in sheep country

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    Dogs like a husky are good in the tent to tell you something lurks outside!
    But are a pain in the ass for hunting anything.
    But they will chase gbear! (stupid dogs)
    Stupid to make generalizations actually...

My Big Boy is 1/2 Alaskan Husky and 1/2 Timber Wolf.
    He is totally unafraid of anything that walks, including humans, bears, cats, other dogs and pretty well damn near anything else.
    And he is smarter by far than the average Two-Legs - FAR from "stupid".
    I would MUCH rather have him in camp in Grizz country than an excitable hunter with relatively little experience.
    Chase the bear? Hell No, he catches them if they can't get up a tree.
    And the results are far from pretty.

As for the 270, I would be entirely comfortable packing mine into Grizz Country (and have many times).
    Run Nosler partitions at 140 or 150 grains, and make the only shot or two you are going to get anyway COUNT!

Cheers,
    Nog
    Last edited by IronNoggin; 03-21-2019 at 02:48 PM.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

I wouldn't worry too much about bears. Worry more about being killed while driving up there! Your 270 is plenty of gun. I have carried my 270 on 2 grizzly specific hunts. Bears get into peoples heads a bit too much. I think about them but try not to worry them. Every bear I see runs as fast as it can the other way when it sees me.

Quote Originally Posted by pg83 View Post
    Give this article a read if you have the time:

https://journalofmountainhunting.com...topping-rifle/
    I read that article a while back. I hunt with a .270 win. After reading the article I went to the loading bench and loaded up some 160 grain Nosler Partitions I had kicking around for the walk out. They're probably the hardest hitting .270 round I could come up with. I haven't used them yet and I hope I never have to.
    "A true conservationist is a man who knows that the world is not given by his fathers, but borrowed from his children." John James Audubon