Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Rifle in sheep country

Re: Rifle in sheep country

The Fail Safe were a good choice for my Husky 270, like them a lot and used it on a lot of elk.
    But, no longer make them.
    Still have Federal with Nosler Partitions, which is good bullet for elk, it was just my husky didn't like them that much.
    (might have been the powder rather than bullet, imo.)
    But, at close range, they will still hit their mark.
    So a few of those in the pocket while sheep hunting was what I did.
    The rifle loved the old style 130gr boat tail silver tips (better than the newer silver style ballistic tip ...plastic).
    So that was the bullet I used when goat and sheep for distance.

Most elk one can be brought in/dropped at close range, so pin point accuracy isn't as crucial.

So basically, as long as a really well constructed bullet will hit reasonably well on paper at 100 yards, you have a good
    bullet for gbear after sheep etc is down.

Just make sure the ammo you use for sheep, and thus sighted in for, will also not be too far off for the bear ammo.
    I found using Winchester for my rifle worked best, and even if it was sighted in for say a 130gr silver tip, if I threw in
    and fired off a heaver bullet, like fail safe, impact point didn't change much, just up and down.
    Going from Winchester 130 to Federal 150 partition led to some left and right and up and down bs.
    But again, at 30 yards or so, if a bear wont leave you alone, it will hit him.

That's how I addressed it.

Quote Originally Posted by pg83 View Post
    Give this article a read if you have the time:

https://journalofmountainhunting.com...topping-rifle/
    Interesting read. Makes sense.

At one time before we all figured we needed the latest greatest new cartridge (I'm just as guilty), .270 win was considered the go to sheep cartridge. It still is a fine caliber, relatively fast & flat shooting, reasonable recoil. I always preferred the 140 grain bullet in the 270, but there were not the better selection of 150 grain pills then. I took moose with the .270 and 150 Nosler partition no problem. On a mountain mule deer trip this year we saw 13 different grizzlies in 7 days but had no issues and I was packing a 7-08 - certainly not the best medicine for big bears. As others have said if you are attacked at close quarters caliber will likely not matter.

Quote Originally Posted by whitlers View Post
    What kind of dog are we talking about? I am toying with bringing my mutt out with me but she might be to small at 35 lbs. Shes built solid and has great instincts but I would worry about her getting tangled up with a pred.
    35 pounds worth of getting away time lol

Quote Originally Posted by whitlers View Post
    What kind of dog are we talking about? I am toying with bringing my mutt out with me but she might be to small at 35 lbs. Shes built solid and has great instincts but I would worry about her getting tangled up with a pred.
    My dog is a husky/Shepard I was told when I got her, she’s about 70lbs in the fall. With a dog a person is up against buckbrush and sharp shale, at times a guy has to take the longer way around to avoid some areas for sure. Iv had to pack my dogs pack more then once because of thick brush. A smaller dog might actually get around better then a bigger dog lol.

I believe a well trained dog is key, Iv heard many counts of a dog bringing a bear back to the owner. One thing I found once I started packing my dog tho, she pays 100% attention to me and what I’m doing, it’s like she has a job then, and loves it. The “heel” and “stay” type commands seem a lot more effective when her pack is on.

Quote Originally Posted by pg83 View Post
    Give this article a read if you have the time:

https://journalofmountainhunting.com...topping-rifle/
    This is a pretty good read. I was thinking of loading up some heavy partitions for my 300wsm, but maybe a solid might be a better option. I’ve been using Barnes ttsx exclusively for the past bunch of years, but I’m a little bit nervous about loading them up against gbear with some of the claims people have that they don’t open up.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

Quote Originally Posted by Bustercluck View Post
    This is a pretty good read. I was thinking of loading up some heavy partitions for my 300wsm, but maybe a solid might be a better option. I’ve been using Barnes ttsx exclusively for the past bunch of years, but I’m a little bit nervous about loading them up against gbear with some of the claims people have that they don’t open up.

My nephew stopped a charging Grizzly at 9 yards with a 300 WSM and 180 TTSX, they worked just fine.
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

Quote Originally Posted by Weatherby Fan View Post
    on our fly in we seen no less than a dozen porcupine, 2 of them chewed the shit out of our camp one night and my brother had a heck of a fight with them but in the end he won out !
    ya they are hell on dogs....and a disaster in the back country if you can’t get the quills out. Usually they will be deep in mouth up in the nose and around or in eyes. It is a horrible situation for sure. If you can’t remove the quills they will continue to migrate inward because they are barbed. Just try pushing one into clothing and try to pull it out. Hard sitution to deal with holding dog down and trying to avoid getting bit....ugly ugly ugly and very upsetting.

I would bring the 270 and Bear spray on your side and your good to go!!

How much does your .270 weigh?

If its over 9 lbs with a scope, you definitely need to spend $4000 to $7000 on a lighter rifle.
    He's anything but a hunter.
    More like another, Rain Coast Sociopath Fraud. Living off the prevails of his chronic lies, like the rest of them...

It's an issue, because these sociopath environmentalist's, will dilute the facts.
    To the point you or Joe public, won't know them any more..
    They count on that big time..