Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rifle in sheep country

Rifle in sheep country

I am just wondering what the lowest caliber rifle someone would bring into sheep country. Still pretty new to hunting and just want to be smart. I have a 270 Winchester and feel like that might not help if a G bear decides to try ruin my plans. Hiking in off the highway and covering a lot of ground on foot through g bear country.

Any thoughts or advice on this?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Rifle in sheep country

What do archery hunters, fishermen, hikers and other outdoor people do? I go into grizzly bear country with no gun all the time. I think any gun is a bonus.

Your fine with the 270. I’d go down to the 6.5 creedmoor as my lightest even though a 6mm cartridge will do the job. Use a good tough bullet if your worried about it. I wouldn’t worry about bears although they are everywhere up there. Seen a lot last season off the highway
    WSSBC Life Member
    WSSBC Monarch Member
    CCFR Member

I’ve been hunting sheep every year starting in 2003 and the last thing I would be worried about is having enough gun for grizzlies. I’ve seen maybe a half dozen in all those trips and so far no bad encounters. I think you’d have a better chance of getting in a car accident on your way there. I also think that in reality, if sh*t really hits the fan, your chances are poor whether you have a 270 win or a 338 win.
    I would recommend taking the rifle that you are the most comfortable and practiced with.

My choice....300win tuned with 180gr Nosler AB for sheep/goat shots and 3 rounds of 180gr TTSX for hiking in/out.
    Last edited by northof49; 03-20-2019 at 08:42 AM.

A little bit off topic, but who uses a bear fence or warning system when they’re in bear country? I’m also planning a sheep hunt this year and my partner wants one but I don’t really care. I think the best defence is not having any kind of food or smelly scents in your tent.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

Quote Originally Posted by AllDay View Post
    I am just wondering what the lowest caliber rifle someone would bring into sheep country. Still pretty new to hunting and just want to be smart. I have a 270 Winchester and feel like that might not help if a G bear decides to try ruin my plans. Hiking in off the highway and covering a lot of ground on foot through g bear country.

Any thoughts or advice on this?
    FINE with a 270 WINNY ! Nosler Accubond or a Barnes TTSX Bullet - Your Golden ! jmo RJ

Quote Originally Posted by Bustercluck View Post
    A little bit off topic, but who uses a bear fence or warning system when they’re in bear country? I’m also planning a sheep hunt this year and my partner wants one but I don’t really care. I think the best defence is not having any kind of food or smelly scents in your tent.
    I would put the bacon in your buddys pack.

Thanks for the replies. Still new to this. Just looking for some input on the topic. It's different getting dropped off in the mountains vs. hiking 30 km on foot through old horse trails to get into the mountains. Still dumb enough to hike in off the highway. I feel like a fly in trip will happen after this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Bustercluck View Post

I agree with you on a clean camp. But there’s definitely some luck involved in not having bear problems. On a two week trip it’s very tough to not have food smells, dead animal smells in your clothes and gear.