Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chukar without the cactus

Re: Chukar without the cactus

The boots just mitigate the amount of cactus you have to pull out of your dog. The cactus might be a little tough on the dogs but hunting is what the dog is for. A good bird dog is pushing to get out of the kennel to hunt birds and doesn't care about cactus.

Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years

Quote Originally Posted by sakohunter View Post
    The boots just mitigate the amount of cactus you have to pull out of your dog. The cactus might be a little tough on the dogs but hunting is what the dog is for. A good bird dog is pushing to get out of the kennel to hunt birds and doesn't care about cactus.
    "
    A good bird dog is pushing to get out of the kennel to hunt birds and doesn't care about cactus."

That is very true....until after the fact. I don't see much difference between knowingly sending
    your dog into beds of ground cactus while being fully aware that it's eagerness will result in it
    suffering from the consequences, and that of sending it into coils of barbed wire or ponds full of sharp
    and potentially lethal sharp pointed branches of fallen partially submerged trees. If you care for
    your hunting companion, you pick and choose the places where to use it and provide protection such
    as booties and chest guards if need be....but that's just my opinion.

I have a two year old Lab with a super high drive for birds, hunted ducks and grouse lots last season and she loves nothing more in life. I had taken her to areas with cactus before, always in the spring and she never had a cactus stick or bother her, she would run right over top. I took her chukar hunting in cactus once last fall, the cactus seemed to be much stickier getting lots in her feet and mine, shoes would help but the cactus walks their way up the legs and thighs. Gilly looked at me like wtf man, so we followed a sheep trail back to the truck and I hunted on foot. After dropping her off and not having to worry about her safety, I put my self into the real chukar country, Cliffs, canyons, fences, cactus, steep slopes and lots of birds. In the future I will leave her at home for the red legged devils as Im too worried about her, just being honest. Next season I will be going for more birds, pheasant and quail included, she will be me every day.

Quote Originally Posted by Firstblood View Post
    I have a two year old Lab with a super high drive for birds, hunted ducks and grouse lots last season and she loves nothing more in life. I had taken her to areas with cactus before, always in the spring and she never had a cactus stick or bother her, she would run right over top. I took her chukar hunting in cactus once last fall, the cactus seemed to be much stickier getting lots in her feet and mine, shoes would help but the cactus walks their way up the legs and thighs. Gilly looked at me like wtf man, so we followed a sheep trail back to the truck and I hunted on foot. After dropping her off and not having to worry about her safety, I put my self into the real chukar country, Cliffs, canyons, fences, cactus, steep slopes and lots of birds. In the future I will leave her at home for the red legged devils as Im too worried about her, just being honest. Next season I will be going for more birds, pheasant and quail included, she will be me every day.
    Is there wild quail in B.C. . Never knew that .
    Arctic Lake

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Lake View Post
    Is there wild quail in B.C. . Never knew that .
    Arctic Lake
    The Okanagan is lousy with them,,,literally thousands of them but they all seem to be in residential areas, on private property, or areas where you cant hunt. I've seen coveys that have up to 100 birds in them.

Quote Originally Posted by mastercaster View Post
    The Okanagan is lousy with them,,,literally thousands of them but they all seem to be in residential areas, on private property, or areas where you cant hunt. I've seen coveys that have up to 100 birds in them.
    Wow Thanks never knew !
    Arctic Lake

And we used to have great pass shooting for mourning doves in the south Okanagan too. Actually, there was occasion for shooting doves around the Vernon area too. But that is a very long time ago.
    As the valley bottom became more and more developed, pheasant habitat decreased exponentially. The government of the day introduced chukar partridge to offset the pheasant decline. One of the first areas was around Kaleden.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years

Quote Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
    And we used to have great pass shooting for mourning doves in the south Okanagan too. Actually, there was occasion for shooting doves around the Vernon area too. But that is a very long time ago.
    As the valley bottom became more and more developed, pheasant habitat decreased exponentially. The government of the day introduced chukar partridge to offset the pheasant decline. One of the first areas was around Kaleden.
    A fellow by the name of Arthur Dennis Hitch who owned a huge pheasant farm while raising chucker Partridges
    was named in our social studies 30 school book as the fellow that introduced chuckers into the Interior and Okanagan.
    He was our next door neighbor in Whonnock off of 263rd street. I spent many a day working at cleaning his pens
    and playing with his son. Later he raised quail and then had a big turkey farm as he phased out the pheasants when
    the government no longer was buying birds for release.

Just curious do they taste good or do they taste like sage brush so to speak? I’ve always been interested but people say they are not good eating?
    Any real feedback, like people with normal taste! ;-p
    I like drinking beer and whiskey, shooting guns, jetboating, love a nice rack and a tight line, I am simply a sophisticated redneck...

Chukar are great table fair, you'll just burn more calories hunting them, than you'll get from eating them.

So much fun thou!! As for your dogs and cactus get the rubber boots They seem to work the best. buy two sets.

We tend to lose em at the rate of one shoe /year.