Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chukar without the cactus

Re: Chukar without the cactus

I didn't put any boots on my griff last year on the few days that we went. Here she is plucking something, likely a cactus quill, from her rear foot. I did have to pull a few cactus off her muzzle after she pulled them from her feet and lower legs, though.

Eastern Oregon has minimal cactus but lots of basalt rock. Still pretty tough on a dogs feet. A long comb and some form of Lewis boots is your best bet to protect your dog's.

There are places around. Dogs why use dogs. Shoot them from the truck or ATV. Where I go they are basically like grouse. Hang on the road and scatter when you approach. There are places just have to get off the beaten path.

As someone else mentioned, they can be quite high, ran into some while sheep hunting at Spences bridge. I was at the top of the mountain on a fir ridge way up above the cactus.

BHB
    Quote Originally Posted by BiG Boar View Post
    Are you M or F? Might get more takers with tits.

Cactus spines from the plants found in the areas mentioned can find their way through any footwear regardless of the material.
    I’d just as soon leave the dog at home rather than submit him to cactus. It is excruciating to see a dog with a spiny knob of cactus in its mouth after having plucked it from his foot.
    Break a spine when extracting and it works in deeper.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

Some of those cactus earn their name honestly "jumping cactus" I took my dog out in the cactus garden "once" we both went home with cactus in our feet and him in his mouth.

I have always wanted to hunt Chucker ! I would not be using a dog though as I don't have one . Do you use a 12 gauge or is that to big ?
    Thanks
    Arctic Lake

Quote Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
    Cactus spines from the plants found in the areas mentioned can find their way through any footwear regardless of the material.
    I’d just as soon leave the dog at home rather than submit him to cactus. It is excruciating to see a dog with a spiny knob of cactus in its mouth after having plucked it from his foot.
    Break a spine when extracting and it works in deeper.
    I can't see myself hunting upland birds like pheasants and chukars without a good bird dog. I figure the dog covers at least 3 or more times the area that I could ever do on my own. I'll put in at least 10 miles a day while chukar hunting.

Boots are a good idea, I just haven't seen them stop all cactus spines. My hunting boots are waaaay thicker than dog boots and they get cactus fairly far in the sole so I'm a little suspicious if dog boots would hold up.
    I like the idea of moving higher up out of the cactus zone though.
    ...and the dog's gotta come. That's why I have her. Just want to avoid her gettin spiked.

Quote Originally Posted by mastercaster View Post
    I can't see myself hunting upland birds like pheasants and chukars without a good bird dog. I figure the dog covers at least 3 or more times the area that I could ever do on my own. I'll put in at least 10 miles a day while chukar hunting.
    I grew up in the south Okanagan and I don't recall ever seeing pheasants where there was cactus. Chukars on the other hand like that drier open sagebrush scrub where cactus flourish.
    Here's a little tip on Chukars. They rarely fly up or down slope when flushed. Just follow them around the hillside.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Lake View Post
    I have always wanted to hunt Chucker ! I would not be using a dog though as I don't have one . Do you use a 12 gauge or is that to big ?
    Thanks
    Arctic Lake
    I used a 12 gauge, then bought a 16 gauge just for that purpose. However, I would use a 20 gauge. Hhmmmm got me thinking.