Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Chukar without the cactus

Chukar without the cactus

So I usually hunt chukar in and around the Kamloops area, which is cactus country. Living with cactus around them is probably just another method they've devised to make it all the more difficult to get to them! Sneaky little guys. Anyways, I'll be hunting this fall with my dog and am hoping there may be a few spots that hold birds that aren't covered in cactus. Is this wishful thinking or do cactus free chukar grounds exist?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Chukar without the cactus

Doesn’t exist haha. Maybe a little in some spots but I’d say probably find cactus everywhere you find the chukar

Might be on some agricultural land at the edge of cactus country. Used to know some ranchers near lillooet with piles around their place.

They exist. You just have to get above the cactus. I’ve seen chuckars over 6000 feet elevation.

Mark at Cariboo Saddlery made boots for our dogs. Work very well.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

There's some in the grasslands around Kamloops but best numbers are above the lake and river - in the cactus. As said put boots on your dog and your good to go. Plus its hilarious to watch your dog work them out for the first minute or two.

https://www.gundogsupply.com/-950-.html

These boots work great and are pretty cheap

You can make your own quite easily out of motor cycle inner tubes and hold up really well. They're a lot cheaper than the Lewis boots.

https://youtu.be/wezSmsvIzlc

Quote Originally Posted by Boner View Post
    They exist. You just have to get above the cactus. I’ve seen chuckars over 6000 feet elevation.
    I hunt the area pretty hard, most birds are down below in the cactus areas. I wouldnt say a lot of cactus but small plants all over. Once you go high above the la
    ke into the thicker forest it will be rare to see them. You will find them along the tracks because of the grain the trains spill also. Like most birds early mornings and late evenings the run in large groups. Id more more worried about snakes than cactus
    Kamloops cabins for rent!
    www.bclakefronts.com

Check out some amazing pictures on my Facebook of trophy fish and game:
    www.facebook.com/bclakefronts
    What about YOUTUBE, Check my video on how to make a Euro mount:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/CanadianCade

Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years

I know of a fellow that hunts the birds and doesn't put boots on his average sized upland retriever.
    He said that his dog learned pretty fast to avoid most of the cactus as it also learned how to use it's
    teeth to pull them out. I've hunted chuckers in heavy ground cactus areas without a dog and would
    be reluctant to put my big retriever in after them. I've watched many coyotes traveling through the
    same areas and noticed that they watch very closely where they're putting their feet, stopping to look
    around for danger etc before carrying on. I've had cactus stuck in my hands, knees, and ankles so can
    attest to how painful it can be at times.