Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Jim Shockey, Vancouver Island

Re: Jim Shockey, Vancouver Island

Woss area holds lots of bears.

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    It's the price you pay for all the social media exposure, I guess.

But what's the fun in being good at something if you dont share it? In fact, one only really knows they're good because of other people sharing and their ability to compare their own trophies to others'
    And there are many of us where it’s about setting a personal goal/challenge and seeking the experience that comes with trying to accomplish it.

I don’t care if I am good or what others think at all and I know others just like myself. The antlers, horns and skulls hidden away in the collections of some hunters would surprise many

Lots of different reasons we hunt and I bet we all are having fun doing what we do

Quote Originally Posted by fyffer View Post
    Woss area holds lots of bears.
    Good to know. I just saw this thread, I was planning on doing a bear hunt on the north side of the island but this would save a lot of time for sure.
    I would love to hunt along the creeks like one of the guys mentioned in a previous comment. Slowly walk up stream in search of a bear.

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    It's the price you pay for all the social media exposure, I guess.

But what's the fun in being good at something if you dont share it? In fact, one only really knows they're good because of other people sharing and their ability to compare their own trophies to others'
    Different strokes for different folks.

The answer is in your last sentence. No shortage of guys with numerous B&C worthy animals that will never enter them. They don't hunt and kill hammers to compare themselves to others. When you're good, you know you're good. That's enough for some.
    "The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom."

Quote Originally Posted by MichelD View Post
    I was flying up to Port Hardy 8 years ago to attend my father's funeral. In the south terminal I saw a small, wiry but richly attired older man encrusted with turquoise jewelry put a rifle case into the luggage rack.

While we were waiting to board I asked him if he was going up the coast grizzly hunting. No, he was going black bear hunting, he said.

"Oh, who with?" I asked, knowing the answer.

"Jim Shackey." he answered. That's the way he pronounced it. American.

When we landed I wanted to see who met him.

Nobody.

He had to go to pay phone. I thought that was pretty funny considering the price he was paying, I thought they'd meet him in a Cadillac.

By the way, a close friend in Port Hardy informs me that there is a group of very enthusiastic black bear hunters from the mill in Port Alice that are hitting that local population pretty hard.
    Mills closed, not a lot of folks living in Alice any more.

Darksith

Look for CB's in the 10-20 year range. The bigger bears like to hang out where there is good edge cover, food and where they can chase the ladies without being out in the open. Lots of bears around, but in my experience of chasing them on the island, the bigger bears like steep and cover and those younger blocks are not ideal habitat for them, except when in the rut, then you can find them any where,

Cheers

SS

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    "In spite of what some members of this site choose to BELIEVE, None of our opinions are any more important than Dog Shit"!

Just give him a call. Of course he will help you out. If anyone else could give their GPS coordinates to their best spots, that might help as well. If that doesn't work, there's the old fashioned way of getting off the couch and off the computer and get out there yourself.
    Last edited by cameron0518; 03-16-2019 at 09:44 PM.

I can remember talking to him about moose in my younger years and he offered me advice on how to hunt them......... for $15,000.00
    The cost of a moose hunt trip on one of his territories.
    I get it, this is his business but not to many young hunters can afford to go on a guided hunt.
    BTW he just drives the roads like everone else for bears. Drive, glass cuts anywhere on the island and you will find bears.
    Hunting the promised land

Quote Originally Posted by dino View Post
    I can remember talking to him about moose in my younger years and he offered me advice on how to hunt them......... for $15,000.00
    Why are you so cheap?

Quote Originally Posted by dakoda62 View Post
    Any where North of Woss is prime bear country, not uncommon to see 40-50 aday once out of hibernation.
    Ya we just haven't been seeing anywhere near those kinds of numbers in the last few years. Apparently they were seeing lots of bears in years before then. Maybe the area is just a bit to busy...maybe we are early, not sure exactly but I would love to see a lot of bears so maybe a different area will produce better numbers, if that fails then we will have to think about later in the month in 2020

Quote Originally Posted by Ourea View Post
    Bit of an alarm does go off however, when someone asks about where a successful hunter hunts.
    No disrespect intended with my comment but another reason why so many successful guys never post and stay underground.
    You take my question way to specifically. I was just looking for general area, there are tons of valleys and sites, I was just wondering if it was more north tip, mid west coast etc etc. If he had a lodge, its not like I would go and hunt 1km away from that lodge, but it would give someone an idea as hes not going to drive 4h one way from a lodge to hunt black bears.

That being said you are a fool if you don't use what people make public when searching for new ground to investigate. Your telling me you have never looked at an area and then maybe figured out what GO is operating out of that area and had a peek at their pictures of what they are harvesting? I'd never ask for someone's WT or Mulie honey hole, but if you get a rosie elk draw, or are hunting something as common as a black bear, or even any predator...I would hope our community comes together to help that person be successful.

I feel like I am a successful hunter, I take newbies out to my areas quite frequently, and I would rather help a friend that is just starting out than pull the trigger myself most of the time. I have shared numerous spots with people, sometimes resulting in the biggest moose they have harvested, or their first deer. I feel like you have been known to be very secretive...maybe Im wrong, maybe im not...maybe we all need to relax a bit and help others be successful from time to time.

Its not like Im not getting out there, we have done this hunt for several years now. I haven't pulled the trigger on a bear, Im being picky. I will start to be less picky as I become more aware of predators and the damage they are doing to our ungulates
    Last edited by Darksith; 03-18-2019 at 10:17 AM.
    WSSBC Monarch
    WSF Life Member
    2% Certified
    RMGA Member
    CCFR Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    His territory is nothing special compared to other parts of the North island. If you really want you can get the boundary map for any GO territory

Personally I would be looking at other parts of the North island where the outfitter does not have Shockey’s name to sell hunts. You know Shockey is booking enough hunters to keep pressure on big boars. I would be searching for good bear habitat that is tougher access that is not under so much pressure

Hell you want an adventure with big black bears Kights Inlet is a good option. Look where others don’t
    Ive looked it up, his territory is the entire north island...but ya thats what I am thinking, go in a bit farther as we aren't doing that right now and thats why we are seeing less bears, just lots of hunter pressure...but who knows. I love the adventure
    WSSBC Monarch
    WSF Life Member
    2% Certified
    RMGA Member
    CCFR Member