Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Jim Shockey, Vancouver Island

Re: Jim Shockey, Vancouver Island

I think you misunderstood me Iron Noggin...I haven't shot a small bear yet, I haven't shot a bear in 25 years either though. My buddies are looking for something, I am looking for something else. Anyway, lets keep attacking each other, here I am, the lazy hunter! Guess I will try and be like the morons on here and not help anyone out moving forward nah, I'd rather lead by example.

Thanks to all that looked to help, to the guys bored with nothing better to do...piss off
    WSSBC Monarch
    WSF Life Member
    2% Certified
    RMGA Member
    CCFR Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darksith View Post
    Just looking to find a bit more specific of an area of "where" he does his bear hunts. He sees a lot of bears, he has the whole northern tip, and we already spring bear hunt in that area, just looking for a spot that might hold a few more bears than where we hunt traditionally. Looking for a new spot to try this spring. Info or not, I will head west more from the highway this year I think

you have to understand how this looks Darksith... you are literally asking for where he hunts so you can go there.
    you must have though that would have stirred up the pot? I mean really step back a minute and look at what you typed and how everyone is misreading it.

Anyone know where his hunting camp is for bears on north van isle? Shoot me a PM
    Quote Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post
    Why???

Whassup?

Wondering...
    Nog
    Just looking to find a bit more specific of an area of "where" he does his bear hunts. He sees a lot of bears, he has the whole northern tip, and we already spring bear hunt in that area, just looking for a spot that might hold a few more bears than where we hunt traditionally. Looking for a new spot to try this spring. Info or not, I will head west more from the highway this year I think
    ya, we usually hunt the east north side, but I would like to venture towards the west coast this year. I have some connections in forestry up there, so trying to get info on harvesting levels in certain areas and dates of blocks cut. Looking for 3-4 year old blocks I think???
    Quote Originally Posted by Ourea View Post
    I wish you success Darksmith.
    Bit of an alarm does go off however, when someone asks about where a successful hunter hunts.
    No disrespect intended with my comment but another reason why so many successful guys never post and stay underground.
    And sideways it begins...no disrespect intended but...we sure about that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sitkaspruce View Post
    Mills closed, not a lot of folks living in Alice any more.

Darksith

Look for CB's in the 10-20 year range. The bigger bears like to hang out where there is good edge cover, food and where they can chase the ladies without being out in the open. Lots of bears around, but in my experience of chasing them on the island, the bigger bears like steep and cover and those younger blocks are not ideal habitat for them, except when in the rut, then you can find them any where,

Cheers

SS
    appreciate the tip...TY
    Quote Originally Posted by cameron0518 View Post
    Just give him a call. Of course he will help you out. If anyone else could give their GPS coordinates to their best spots, that might help as well. If that doesn't work, there's the old fashioned way of getting off the couch and off the computer and get out there yourself.
    Ya we just haven't been seeing anywhere near those kinds of numbers in the last few years. Apparently they were seeing lots of bears in years before then. Maybe the area is just a bit to busy...maybe we are early, not sure exactly but I would love to see a lot of bears so maybe a different area will produce better numbers, if that fails then we will have to think about later in the month in 2020

You take my question way to specifically. I was just looking for general area, there are tons of valleys and sites, I was just wondering if it was more north tip, mid west coast etc etc. If he had a lodge, its not like I would go and hunt 1km away from that lodge, but it would give someone an idea as hes not going to drive 4h one way from a lodge to hunt black bears.

That being said you are a fool if you don't use what people make public when searching for new ground to investigate. Your telling me you have never looked at an area and then maybe figured out what GO is operating out of that area and had a peek at their pictures of what they are harvesting? I'd never ask for someone's WT or Mulie honey hole, but if you get a rosie elk draw, or are hunting something as common as a black bear, or even any predator...I would hope our community comes together to help that person be successful.

I feel like I am a successful hunter, I take newbies out to my areas quite frequently, and I would rather help a friend that is just starting out than pull the trigger myself most of the time. I have shared numerous spots with people, sometimes resulting in the biggest moose they have harvested, or their first deer. I feel like you have been known to be very secretive...maybe Im wrong, maybe im not...maybe we all need to relax a bit and help others be successful from time to time.

Its not like Im not getting out there, we have done this hunt for several years now. I haven't pulled the trigger on a bear, Im being picky. I will start to be less picky as I become more aware of predators and the damage they are doing to our ungulates
    Quote Originally Posted by Ourea View Post
    Wish to make it very clear that I am not hatin on Darksith and hope he has a great hunt and gets a dream bear.

There are some really big critters out there and some locations are certainly better than others.
    The north island is well known for trophy black bears. It is not about finding Jim's "secret honey hole" that is the formula to success.
    I don't know Jim personally but I can almost guarantee that if pressure comes to one of his go to spots he will simply move on.

That's why certain folks are always successful.
    They do not follow, they simply pioneer new locations that see little to no pressure.

Identify key habitat.
    (awesome post from sitkaspruce on this aspect/topic and thanks!)
    Look for low pressure areas within that spectrum.
    Hunt it HARD.

I hope Darksith kills a monster bear and we all wish him success.
    Cherry pick a certain post all you want, but the post was going pretty well until a couple guys decided to pipe up with nothing good to say and sideways it went. I think I made it very clear I wasn't looking for a specific cut block or valley, but maybe just a region (north tip, mid west, east) there seems to be a hundred roads and I will happily throw a dart and go, but if someone has any pointers like "avoid this spot, its shot out" why wouldn't I take that advice?
    WSSBC Monarch
    WSF Life Member
    2% Certified
    RMGA Member
    CCFR Member

Darksith, sorry you are feeling ganged up on.
    That certainly was not my intent with my comments.
    Not how I roll.

I think/hope you got some additional intel that will help in a more satifying hunt far as eyes on more bears this spring.
    Good luck, long way to go for a bear!

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea

All good hear boys, we all do have a common goal.
    Enjoy your time on the island Darksmith, I’d help but the only spot I knew up north would be Bonanza lake.
    Blacktailaholic

I would rather blaze my own trail....

…..said no one ever that ever that started a thread like this.

Wanting to know where a guys hunting camp is seemed bit odd outta the gate.....interesting approach. Figured it would have derailed sooner. Not hard to find bears big or small.

And sideways it begins...no disrespect intended but...we sure about that?

appreciate the tip...TY

Cherry pick a certain post all you want, but the post was going pretty well until a couple guys decided to pipe up with nothing good to say and sideways it went. I think I made it very clear I wasn't looking for a specific cut block or valley, but maybe just a region (north tip, mid west, east) there seems to be a hundred roads and I will happily throw a dart and go, but if someone has any pointers like "avoid this spot, its shot out" why wouldn't I take that advice?
    Dont listen to the armchair clowns. Asking for info is offensive to some, if I still lived and hunted there I would help you out as much as possible. Like I said earlier, all he did when he was on the tools was drive around and glass blocks. That is what most do, to shoot a good boar is luck no real skill other than knowing where they tend to gather. Drive enough roads and anyone can see where the bears are.
    Hunting the promised land

Quote Originally Posted by dino View Post
    Dont listen to the armchair clowns. Asking for info is offensive to some, if I still lived and hunted there I would help you out as much as possible. Like I said earlier, all he did when he was on the tools was drive around and glass blocks. That is what most do, to shoot a good boar is luck no real skill other than knowing where they tend to gather. Drive enough roads and anyone can see where the bears are.
    I am no armchair cowboy dino, that you know, as you have reached out to me for a little MD intel in the past.
    I think the knee jerk was that a member flat out asked where a known successful individual hunts.
    A few simply stated that is probably not the best tact to get info.

If someone started a thread by saying...."where does dino hunt his MD, where are his camps etc".
    Pretty sure you know how many would react.

And killing big bears, "is luck and no real skill is required".
    If that was the case pretty much every BC hunter would have a 8 ft bear on the wall, and that certainly is not the case.

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea

Are you just trying to draw attention to an area you don't hunt to lure away hunters from your area?...if so, well played...heheheh....just kidding