Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Jim Shockey, Vancouver Island

Arrow Re: Jim Shockey, Vancouver Island

Quote Originally Posted by Darksith View Post
    I think you misunderstood me Iron Noggin...
    Perhaps. However it was your own wording that lead me to my thoughts in this regard.
    You did after all ask directly where the man's camp and area of operations were...
    And to me as well as obviously a few others, that certainly did smack of chasing gut piles.

If I did misinterpret, I apologize for taking you to task in this regard.

Best of Luck on your Island run.
    There are some rather huge boars over here, although they ain't quite as "easy" to wander across as some would have you believe.
    Put your time in, and you will likely find what you are seeking.
    For your Buddies hunting grits, they will most likely limit out in fairly short order...

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Re: Jim Shockey, Vancouver Island

Quote Originally Posted by boxhitch View Post
    I doubt Shockey has scouted or guided for a bear for several years

I don't know what he personally does, but he's got his staff driving around the whole North end scouting.

I shot my first bear within walking distance from Port Hardy in 1976 (I lived on the flats) and numerous ones since but to be honest, in the last few years before my dad died there and I quit going regularly in 2012, there just weren't the numbers there used to be. I would attribute that to several things; (1) Shockey advertising that every bear up there was a fire-breathing, tire-biting monster (2) Sites like this one, and (3) More poaching than we'd really like to realize is occurring.

I was up for nearly a week on a friends elk hunt about three years ago and we saw one bear. And that was near Holberg!

Don't get me wrong, I have received invaluable hunting information on these pages for moose, deer, sheep and bears; I'm as guilty as the next guy for asking for info. Hopefully I've shared a bit too. But still, there is a lot of Internet scouting that goes on and it shows.

But really, there was a period there not so long ago that I could go up to Hardy, visit my mom and then later my dad in the care home for a couple days, then go out in an evening, shoot a bear, throw it in the back of the truck, pop in and say bye to my dad and scoot home with the bear. One morning I went out with a good buddy up there first thing in the morning, and within 20 minutes we saw a bear. It was a sow with cubs. Ten minutes later we drove the end of a spur road and came to a berm of gravel near the end. He was about to back up and I said "No-Wait!" there was a bear walking straight towards us. Got him. We hadn't been out an hour.
    Last edited by MichelD; 01-27-2022 at 05:31 PM.

Darksith,

Can I please have the coordinates to your region 3 moose camp.

I am not kidding.

Quote Originally Posted by walks with deer View Post
    Darksith,

Can I please have the coordinates to your region 3 moose camp.

I am not kidding.
    KM 53 on sawmill last year not kidding either! But moose numbers are way down, a bunch got skunked, we only saw 2...only needed 2 though

I admire JS, don't get me wrong. He is a good voice and someone to pay attention to on "how to" talk to the public and get our message out. Who isn't jealous of that guy. And Im sure its no different than me running a company. Just because Im not on the tools doesn't mean Im not involved.
    Last edited by Darksith; 03-20-2019 at 01:37 PM.
    WSSBC Monarch
    WSF Life Member
    2% Certified
    RMGA Member
    CCFR Member

Lol,

I was just tormenting.

I have shot book bears the last two years around home..(literally) personally i would stay on the mainland and push for some color phase.

Or do a salmon bear combo

that is easy to do .....Come in the fall and hunt the west coast rivers....... Salmonbears everywhere

Lol,

I was just tormenting.

I have shot book bears the last two years around home..(literally) personally i would stay on the mainland and push for some color phase.

I know haha, its all leh anyway, no big secret, nothing special either though
    I go to the island more to hang with my best bro. If I see a big one I will take a shot, or if I can get on it with my bow I will take a shot, otherwise Im just there for the drinks and social, but it would be fun to see more bears
    I will kill at least 1 bear around home this year...

Quote Originally Posted by 835 View Post
    that is easy to do .....Come in the fall and hunt the west coast rivers....... Salmonbears everywhere
    I think he meant fishing

I do 10 days end of June early July every year on the island!
    WSSBC Monarch
    WSF Life Member
    2% Certified
    RMGA Member
    CCFR Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darksith View Post
    KM 53 on sawmill last year not kidding either! But moose numbers are way down, a bunch got skunked, we only saw 2...only needed 2 though

I admire JS, don't get me wrong. He is a good voice and someone to pay attention to on "how to" talk to the public and get our message out. Who isn't jealous of that guy. And Im sure its no different than me running a company. Just because Im not on the tools doesn't mean Im not involved.
    More wolves than you have bullets out there too....
    PAPERS! Show me YOUR PAPERS!!

I don't think crotch is the stealthiest scent for deer hunting. (Surrey Boy)

so are you gonna stop spreading it on your nuts for your dog to lick off? (monasheemountainman)

You weren't there and you didn't get a moose hoof to the balls. (300rum700)

I think I will try and kill one with the blackpowder 12gauge muzzle loader. lol

spring bear hunting however typically I just focus my energy on killing fawn eaters.

Every hunter should shoot one bear a year in a area deer a moose use to fawn.

Quote Originally Posted by RugDoctor View Post
    More wolves than you have bullets out there too....
    In years past for sure. This year we saw less sign of them, not much around for them to chase though so makes sense. Worst season I can remember out there for game numbers.
    WSSBC Monarch
    WSF Life Member
    2% Certified
    RMGA Member
    CCFR Member