Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Jim Shockey, Vancouver Island

Re: Jim Shockey, Vancouver Island

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    I think its a lazy mans question of the original poster. With people on many previous threads stating that there are many bears on the north island with alot of help already laid out by locals.....

Do you know how Jim Shockey finds big bears on the north island?

He gets off his ass and puts in time, miles and burns gasoline.
    Uh huh .... is that how rich guys are successful at multiple species in multiple countries over multiple decades?
    .... no. They have people doing their scouting for them year around.

Quote Originally Posted by quadrakid View Post
    I don,t hunt bear but i do drive a fair bit of the backroads on north Vancouver island.Bear numbers are way down compared to say 15 or 20 years ago. Just my observations ,nothing scientific. Used to see a dozen bears in may driving CR to Zeballos. Lucky to see one or two these days. Certain spots used to always have a bear feeding in may but are mostly bear free now.
    Poaching of bears on the island is a lot bigger problem than people realize. People are caught, equipment seized. And they are caught again in short order with new everything. The seized property is just a cost to doing business.

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    Uh huh .... is that how rich guys are successful at multiple species in multiple countries over multiple decades?
    .... no. They have people doing their scouting for them year around.
    He didn't get to his position without hard work. People doing the scouting nowadays is just that. Evolution of his hard work. Or any outfitter for that matter, they are hard working people that put a lot of time in. As they get older, the natural evolution is having younger enthusiastic people coming up through the ranks....

Quote Originally Posted by Piperdown View Post
    Come to Jordan River bears everywhere, Islandwanderer is the only one who hunts them here so none have hit the ground yet
    Yea Him and Danny are Real KILLERs ! for Sure RJ

He didn't get to his position without hard work. People doing the scouting nowadays is just that. Evolution of his hard work. Or any outfitter for that matter, they are hard working people that put a lot of time in. As they get older, the natural evolution is having younger enthusiastic people coming up through the ranks....
    Yes, all those scouting trips he did in Mongolia, finding his dream Argali ram ... hard work.

Do you know how Jim Shockey finds big bears on the north island?
    He gets off his ass and puts in time, miles and burns gasoline.
    I doubt Shockey has scouted or guided for a bear for several years
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Poaching of bears on the island is a lot bigger problem than people realize. People are caught, equipment seized. And they are caught again in short order with new everything. The seized property is just a cost to doing business.
    Occasionally there is a news story, and once and a while a charge listed in the quarterly enforcement summaries, but not very often. Those that know of the poaching aren't using Falsebook
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

very interesting stuff. Guess Im lazy bc I can't be bothered to go scout for a decent size bear since it involves ferry rides. I don't give 2 shits about B&C, I just want to see a few more bears than in years past.
    Any of you that think JS is checking game cams or getting scouting reports...give your head a shake. He gets Guiding outfits to donate hunts, gets sponsors to pay for hunts all bc of his leverage as a celebrity with multiple TV shows.

As for how to hunt, well I will take any information I can get. Some of it is good, some of it is not. The idea is success, I don't measure the success of a hunt with a tape measure, I measure it by the smiles and memories created. That being said putting some meat in the freezer never hurts.

I run 7 game cams, I have numerous spots and I do a fair amount of scouting in my neighborhood. I will also drive to scout elk or moose...but bear, nah that hunt is just to hang with my buds more than anything. To those that sent me some ideas, thanks, to those that call me lazy or other stupid comments....meh suit yourself, thats whats wrong with our/this community, the positive guys are what make it great, and its bc of them that Im still here.

No sweat Ourea...I wish you luck, I don't chase gut piles, I would rather blaze my own trail, but getting a tip like try this inlet never hurt anyone. My buds don't even want to shoot a big bear, they just want young good eating ones.
    WSSBC Monarch
    WSF Life Member
    2% Certified
    RMGA Member
    CCFR Member

If it’s just numbers far west end of holberg south side was good in the past. Give it a go but it’s been years since I was there

Arrow Re: Jim Shockey, Vancouver Island

Quote Originally Posted by Darksith View Post
    ... No sweat Ourea...I wish you luck, I don't chase gut piles, I would rather blaze my own trail...
    That certainly did not come across in your original request.

... Any of you that think JS is checking game cams or getting scouting reports...give your head a shake. He gets Guiding outfits to donate hunts, gets sponsors to pay for hunts all bc of his leverage as a celebrity with multiple TV shows...
    And you "know" this how?
    I do know Jim.
    And I am well aware of the level of his participation in the vast majority of his outfit's Island hunts.
    True he is no longer The Grunt, but entirely unfair the picture you try to paint of him.
    He is involved much more than your assumptions indicate.
    Really.

I personally don't shoot "young good eating bears".
    I will not cancel that tag unless I am looking at a rather large & mature boar.
    Every one of Jim's clients think the same way as I do.
    So, when I saw your original request, it was automatic to believe you were seeking the same.
    And I will admit thinking "gut pile chaser" pretty much immediately.

If what you suggest is true, there are a LOT of areas on the Island that can & will produce young bears for the soup pot.
    Sitka's suggestions above are bang on.
    And if that is really what you are after, why in hell attempt to crowd in on anyone?
    Last place I'd be looking myself is the areas a known Bear Killing Outfitter was operating.

As far as advise, there are literally thousands of bears on the Island that fit your "meat bear" criteria.
    And the vast majority of those require a lot less travel (therefore coin) to work on.
    Maybe a little more effort on that trail-blazing thing you mentioned is in order??

Just Sayin'...
    Nog
    Last edited by IronNoggin; 03-19-2019 at 03:03 PM.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me