Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Jim Shockey, Vancouver Island

Re: Jim Shockey, Vancouver Island

Just realized you’re location I can give you good options to the North. The island is good but there is great areas on the mainland as well and no ferry BS. Less hunting pressure from both residents and GOs. Last week May first week June is best for timing.

Offer is there if you want feel free to ask ?s

Quote Originally Posted by Darksith View Post
    That being said you are a fool if you don't use what people make public when searching for new ground to investigate. Your telling me you have never looked at an area and then maybe figured out what GO is operating out of that area and had a peek at their pictures of what they are harvesting? I'd never ask for someone's WT or Mulie honey hole, but if you get a rosie elk draw, or are hunting something as common as a black bear, or even any predator...I would hope our community comes together to help that person be successful.
    Call me a fool then.
    And no, I do not sniff on any GO's success as I hunt in areas that they don't or can't hunt do to difficult or no access etc when it comes to chasing giants
    It's one thing helping folks out for any buck to get them in the game or on to bears in support of other hunters in general.
    I help other's more than I hunt for myself but when it comes to chasing monsters, I, like many, are tight lipped.

LEH aside, expecting trophy GOS areas to be served up on an internet request is another story.

As I stated before, I wish you nothing but success.

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea

Come to Jordan River bears everywhere, Islandwanderer is the only one who hunts them here so none have hit the ground yet
    Avatar is for all the conspiracy theory nut bars, for all the crow they have to eat when everything implodes

I've never heard of someone who isn't vaccinated getting polio

Trump will win big time in 2020

Why is it that rednecks from Alberta can't get enough of men in dresses, they simply lose their shit

Quote Originally Posted by Ourea View Post
    Call me a fool then.
    And no, I do not sniff on any GO's success as I hunt in areas that they don't or can't hunt do to difficult or no access etc when it comes to chasing giants
    It's one thing helping folks out for any buck to get them in the game or on to bears in support of other hunters in general.
    I help other's more than I hunt for myself but when it comes to chasing monsters, I, like many, are tight lipped.

LEH aside, expecting trophy GOS areas to be served up on an internet request is another story.

As I stated before, I wish you nothing but success.
    You are no fool tell people all the time just because you hear lots of people recommend an area does not mean it’s good it just means lots of people hunt there

I have good places I will give up but lots I won’t speak of.

All my top locations were found by looking at maps rolling the dice and checking the area out firsthand

Quote Originally Posted by Piperdown View Post
    Come to Jordan River bears everywhere, Islandwanderer is the only one who hunts them here so none have hit the ground yet
    Not wishing to distract from Darksith's thread but that is one funny assed comment right there ^^^^^

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Wish to make it very clear that I am not hatin on Darksith and hope he has a great hunt and gets a dream bear.

There are some really big critters out there and some locations are certainly better than others.
    The north island is well known for trophy black bears. It is not about finding Jim's "secret honey hole" that is the formula to success.
    I don't know Jim personally but I can almost guarantee that if pressure comes to one of his go to spots he will simply move on.

That's why certain folks are always successful.
    They do not follow, they simply pioneer new locations that see little to no pressure.

Identify key habitat.
    (awesome post from sitkaspruce on this aspect/topic and thanks!)
    Look for low pressure areas within that spectrum.
    Hunt it HARD.

I hope Darksith kills a monster bear and we all wish him success.

I don,t hunt bear but i do drive a fair bit of the backroads on north Vancouver island.Bear numbers are way down compared to say 15 or 20 years ago. Just my observations ,nothing scientific. Used to see a dozen bears in may driving CR to Zeballos. Lucky to see one or two these days. Certain spots used to always have a bear feeding in may but are mostly bear free now.

Quote Originally Posted by quadrakid View Post
    I don,t hunt bear but i do drive a fair bit of the backroads on north Vancouver island.Bear numbers are way down compared to say 15 or 20 years ago. Just my observations ,nothing scientific. Used to see a dozen bears in may driving CR to Zeballos. Lucky to see one or two these days. Certain spots used to always have a bear feeding in may but are mostly bear free now.
    I have noticed a decline in many locations over 15years it’s not just the island

But I also watched numbers boom in the past as well so It’s not a bad thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Piperdown View Post
    Woohoo! I got a shout out....I think.
    When in doubt, just pin it.

I think its a lazy mans question of the original poster. With people on many previous threads stating that there are many bears on the north island with alot of help already laid out by locals.....

Do you know how Jim Shockey finds big bears on the north island?

He gets off his ass and puts in time, miles and burns gasoline.