Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Jim Shockey, Vancouver Island

Re: Jim Shockey, Vancouver Island

That should be a good bet. Ideally you catch the first good warm spell where it gets up over 20 degrees or so there then they're out in full force. Failing that just look for sign and go from there they might not be in the open so much if its cooler IME.
    its gonna take a life time to hunt and fish all this

Any where North of Woss is prime bear country, not uncommon to see 40-50 aday once out of hibernation.
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check
    Made payable for an amount of 'up to
    and including my life'. That is Honor, and there are way too many people
    in This country who no longer understand it.'
    You only walk this Earth once,
    make sure your tracks are deep.

I wish you success Darksmith.
    Bit of an alarm does go off however, when someone asks about where a successful hunter hunts.
    No disrespect intended with my comment but another reason why so many successful guys never post and stay underground.

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea

His territory is nothing special compared to other parts of the North island. If you really want you can get the boundary map for any GO territory

Personally I would be looking at other parts of the North island where the outfitter does not have Shockey’s name to sell hunts. You know Shockey is booking enough hunters to keep pressure on big boars. I would be searching for good bear habitat that is tougher access that is not under so much pressure

Hell you want an adventure with big black bears Kights Inlet is a good option. Look where others don’t

Take a look at Nootka Island. I worked there 8 years ago and saw close to 100 bears in 5 days. Headed there this summer again. I’ve haven’t seen too many black bears in Knight inlet. Too many grizzly bears. Had a close call with a grizzly sow and two cubs about 3 years ago up in one of the smaller estuaries.

Not talking high numbers but there is quality in knights

I remember watching one of his shows a few years ago.

They were walking up a creek in waders for a few km's.

Kept bumping them until they found one they wanted.

Good way to keep yourself down wind...
    He's anything but a hunter.
    More like another, Rain Coast Sociopath Fraud. Living off the prevails of his chronic lies, like the rest of them...

It's an issue, because these sociopath environmentalist's, will dilute the facts.
    To the point you or Joe public, won't know them any more..
    They count on that big time..

Jim runs his guess's out of Cluxewe Resort. They have a bunch of cabins there.

He covers a lot of area: north of Quatsino, Holberg to WH area as well as around the Port Alice, Victoria and Alice lakes.

Lots of areas to hunt and lots of big bears around.

Cheers

SS

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    "In spite of what some members of this site choose to BELIEVE, None of our opinions are any more important than Dog Shit"!

I was flying up to Port Hardy 8 years ago to attend my father's funeral. In the south terminal I saw a small, wiry but richly attired older man encrusted with turquoise jewelry put a rifle case into the luggage rack.

While we were waiting to board I asked him if he was going up the coast grizzly hunting. No, he was going black bear hunting, he said.

"Oh, who with?" I asked, knowing the answer.

"Jim Shackey." he answered. That's the way he pronounced it. American.

When we landed I wanted to see who met him.

Nobody.

He had to go to pay phone. I thought that was pretty funny considering the price he was paying, I thought they'd meet him in a Cadillac.

By the way, a close friend in Port Hardy informs me that there is a group of very enthusiastic black bear hunters from the mill in Port Alice that are hitting that local population pretty hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Ourea View Post
    I wish you success Darksmith.
    Bit of an alarm does go off however, when someone asks about where a successful hunter hunts.
    No disrespect intended with my comment but another reason why so many successful guys never post and stay underground.
    It's the price you pay for all the social media exposure, I guess.

But what's the fun in being good at something if you dont share it? In fact, one only really knows they're good because of other people sharing and their ability to compare their own trophies to others'
    Last edited by twoSevenO; 03-15-2019 at 01:43 PM.