Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Broadhead for turkey

Re: Broadhead for turkey

Quote Originally Posted by Dour View Post
    Fixed 100%. I agree. I’m still new at archery but the research I’ve done and people I’ve talked to say don’t try and reinvent the wheel. That’s why I say toxic. It has the most blade out there right now and cores holes. There is no fat seal up. Just 3 nasty 1/2 hole That video shows what it can do to a moose. Now think if you get. A turkey with it game over.
    Ha. I want there to be some meat left ��

Guess with a cutting surface that large you can still target the neck and put a hole in it.

That toxic looks like a mean arrow. I didn't want to take the time to tune my bow for the guillotine style broadheads. Haven't tried the fix point ones... I referenced this link here... My go to broadhead is their number 1 - NAP Gobbler Getter turkey broadheads. Its a mean tip and have taken multiple birds with it. Before that one I used number 4, the grim reaper razor tip. Shot placement is key. Head shots are great, but running an arrow up their kiester, or pinning that wing so they cant fly with a good shot to the boiler work best. I carry 2ea NAPs, 2ea grim reaper, and 1 other broadhead tips in my quiver. Should the opportunity for something other than a turkey present itself then I have the other means...

https://www.bowhunting.com/blog/2014...ey-broadheads/

Quote Originally Posted by avidnwoutdoorsman View Post
    That toxic looks like a mean arrow. I didn't want to take the time to tune my bow for the guillotine style broadheads. Haven't tried the fix point ones... I referenced this link here... My go to broadhead is their number 1 - NAP Gobbler Getter turkey broadheads. Its a mean tip and have taken multiple birds with it. Before that one I used number 4, the grim reaper razor tip. Shot placement is key. Head shots are great, but running an arrow up their kiester, or pinning that wing so they cant fly with a good shot to the boiler work best. I carry 2ea NAPs, 2ea grim reaper, and 1 other broadhead tips in my quiver. Should the opportunity for something other than a turkey present itself then I have the other means...

https://www.bowhunting.com/blog/2014...ey-broadheads/

big help! Thank you. Would you use the Grim Reaper on a bear if the opportunity presented itself?

Arrow Re: Broadhead for turkey

I run a fast crossbow.
    Fast bows are fairly tricky to get fixed points to fly accurately from IMHO.
    I tried a few fixed blades, and wasn't happy with their performance.

So, I have become a solid fan of mechanical broadheads.
    And I tried many versions of these as well.
    For my bow, my arrows, my set-up, the NAP 125 grain Spitfires are the only one I use now.
    Been that way for many years with me.
    They dump deer FAST, and I would never hesitate to use them on bears, moose or elk.
    HUGE entrance and exit wounds, leads to very impressive & SHORT blood trails.
    Were I to be hunting turkeys this year, that would be the broadhead in my quiver.

https://bowhunterssuperstore.com/spi...ad-p-1380.html

Some still hold onto the belief that mechanicals are somehow "inferior" to fixed blades, or more prone to failure.
    Perhaps there was a ring of truth to that historically.
    With the advances in technology, that no longer applies.
    Just my observations alone count well over two dozen deer (whitetails, mulies & blacktails) and the odd other sundry critter without a single failure.
    Many of my bow hunting buddies believe and experience the same as I have.

Cheers & Best of Luck on your hunt!
    'Nother Matt
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Grim reapers will work most of the time. I say most of the time after a long tracking job on a whitetail my buddy shot. Only one blade opened on the grim reaper

I have seen them work flawlessly but I have witnessed a failure. For myself that is reason enough for me not to use grim reapers

Quote Originally Posted by dapesche View Post
    big help! Thank you. Would you use the Grim Reaper on a bear if the opportunity presented itself?
    The opportunity hasn't presented itself but that is what my 5th arrow is... a Muzzy fixed blade, but from what I've read, the grim reaper "should" work just fine.