Thread: Turkey hunting calling techniques and general calling

Turkey hunting calling techniques and general calling

So even though the ol turkey bird is a big game bird I’ll put this in the small game section
    once all the scouting and locating and figuring out where the decoys are gonna go and the suns still not up. What is the go to call for the first calling set
    how often do you call?
    what calls do you use? Brands? Slate box diaphragm?
    what are some call sequences you go to regularly?
    any one use a gobbler?

anyways any info is good info just thought I’d start the discussion thanks ahead

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Turkey hunting calling techniques and general calling

I call as little as possible in that situation, if you know the birds are there and roosted. Just a few very soft yelps with either box or slate. Best to let him start gobbling on his own if possible then call just enough to get his attention and hopefully he comes looking for you. I don’t call more than every 10-15 mins or so usually. I carry 2 box calls, a slate, several diaphragms and a gobble shaker. The situation dictates what I use more so than any plan ahead of time, you’ve got to just be ready and play the situation as best you can. I am far from an expert, lots of guys on here with more experience than I, hopefully they chime in.
    Twist and pull.

Listen to the Meat Eater Podcast on turkey hunting. Lots of great info. Some good turkey episodes in the videos too.

What Krico said... off the roost you should be calling very minimally. I wouldnt call until he makes his first...second gobble. That's the wake up alarm. Then the hens usually chime back to let him know they heard him and where they are. You can google tree yelps. Just a few to let him know where you are. If you get a response, that's all you need. These calls should be very quite.... Hunters always tend to over call because they like to hear the bird gobble. Sometimes birds get hung up on the limb because people will keep calling to them. He's thinking you are going to come walk to him so that he can see you and then he'll pitch down. This is why you want to call every 10-15min and just a few small tree yelps. You can try to do a fly down cackle and whip your hat, but you gotta be careful with that if he could see you. That's a lot of movement you don't want to make sometimes. Once he's on the ground that doesnt mean start calling up a storm either. You dont want to tire out the bird. Might move the spacing in your calls to 10min. But again if you get a response, he knows where you are at. If he's going to come to you, he will. Sometimes going dead quite for 20min will make him look for you. THat is not a gobblers natural instinct. Hens go to Tom's not Gobblers to hens. Merriam's usually stay pretty vocal, but dont be surprised if he goes dead silent and walks in without making a peep. Except when he's spit drumming now 20 yds away. I would stay put for at least an hour after he comes off the roost. If he's not talking stick to a yelp or purr every 10-20min. Sometimes a submissive bird will come in from another direction too looking for you but quietly as not to let the ol Tom know he's trying to steal his honey.

I carry one box, one slate, and 6 diaphragms. Stick to the slate or diaphrams in the morning. Box calls are good for locating and getting yourself heard in the wind or in a large draw. Not what you are looking for in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelpulse View Post
    So even though the ol turkey bird is a big game bird I’ll put this in the small game section
    once all the scouting and locating and figuring out where the decoys are gonna go and the suns still not up. What is the go to call for the first calling set
    how often do you call?
    what calls do you use? Brands? Slate box diaphragm?
    what are some call sequences you go to regularly?
    any one use a gobbler?

anyways any info is good info just thought I’d start the discussion thanks ahead

Some good questions here...

If you have done your scouting you should (might) know where the roost is and where the turkey fly down and head off to. So just be where they are going and ambush them !
    No need for calling or decoys IF that is the case.

Just like people turkeys wake up slowly unless scared.
    They yawn and stretch...ok maybe that's is a little far fetched but my point is they don't shout out loud gobbles purrs or clucks. You should mimic what they do just quietly.
    Turkeys have AMAZING hearing !!!
    If you want to bring in a hen (the tom should follow) just do the same call and cadence as the hen. This should piss her off and she will come in to kick your butt.
    I get in early, and I do mean EARLY !!! 3am is not bad but even at that time I have spooked them.
    I sit for 1 hour+ before I start to call (usually) and start off with soft purrs. As it starts to get light I become more vocal and louder (yet it is still soft). Eventually I do a fly down (using my hat close by me) and a cackle. Followed with clucks.
    I will tell you now, most inexperienced turkey hunters OVER CALL.
    2 years ago I had a hunter come in just after light and was no stop gobbling for 1 hour 45 mins as he walked down the road. Turkeys are not dumb.

My calls ( I have most of them) are simple. 2 box calls (1 for when its raining), a gobble tube, crow call, 2 different slate calls, many different strikers (each makes a unique sound), BUT my best one by far is.....a stick !!!
    WTF you might say. How can a 10 inch stick be a call ? Simple.
    Turkeys scratch the ground looking for bugs or seeds. Just use the stick to mimic the claws scratching the leaves or dirt. And soft purrs and clucks work well.

Some of the best advise I can give those who are new to turkey hunting is buy the DVD from Primos...the Mastering the Art Spring Turkey Hunting. $18 on Amazon

Good luck
    if people of color do it, it's "affirmative action" "civil rights", etc, etc. If a bunch of white folks do it....its "racist" and "hate speech" quote Willyqbc

I forgot about decoys...
    I use 2 or 3.
    Set them out so the birds will look for them and at them. NOT YOU !!!
    I will set mine out and then range them. 25 yards will be the closest and the farthest is 50 yards.
    Just another tip. Losts to learn.
    if people of color do it, it's "affirmative action" "civil rights", etc, etc. If a bunch of white folks do it....its "racist" and "hate speech" quote Willyqbc