Thread: Bow tuning on the south island?

Bow tuning on the south island?

I have a PSE stinger X, which I have no complaints about (possibly similar to a guy with a savage axis and no complaints because he's never shot a model 70, but I digress).

However, it has never been adjusted other than draw length and me tweaking this and that to sight it in. I have a 29.5" draw, and my arrows are 32.5" long. They could stand to be shorter. I would also like to buy some "good" arrows and broadheads...and figure out how to get broadheads to fly right, before spring bear season is for real. As it stands I have some mechanicals that I can't identify. I want to get the set up dialed before I start throwing sharp sticks at stuff with teeth.

So...island outfitters wasn't exactly confidence inspiring. Nice enough, but I didn't feel like the give a shit was top notch. Is there anyone in victoria, or south island anywhere, that does this stuff? Or could help me?
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Bow tuning on the south island?

Quote Originally Posted by Squamch View Post
    I have a PSE stinger X, which I have no complaints about (possibly similar to a guy with a savage axis and no complaints because he's never shot a model 70, but I digress).

However, it has never been adjusted other than draw length and me tweaking this and that to sight it in. I have a 29.5" draw, and my arrows are 32.5" long. They could stand to be shorter. I would also like to buy some "good" arrows and broadheads...and figure out how to get broadheads to fly right, before spring bear season is for real. As it stands I have some mechanicals that I can't identify. I want to get the set up dialed before I start throwing sharp sticks at stuff with teeth.

So...island outfitters wasn't exactly confidence inspiring. Nice enough, but I didn't feel like the give a shit was top notch. Is there anyone in victoria, or south island anywhere, that does this stuff? Or could help me?
    Did you talk to Joanne at Island Outfitters? She's very helpful. You could also run up to Duncan and talk to Richard at Buckys Sports. I broke a cable two weeks before my archery Roosevelt hunt and Richard had me back shooting in days.

If you haven't done so already, google compound bow tuning. Lots of links and allot you can do yourself.
    Last edited by Ron.C; 03-09-2019 at 09:35 PM.

ftp://ftp.pse-archery.com/2015%20Man...sers_Guide.pdf

This should help you out if you do not already have it. You will be limited in what you can do if you do not have a bow press.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

A good place to start would be to get your arrows cut to proper length,it's all part of the tuning. Paper,walk back and bareshaft tuning methods all come into play now. Watch some YouTube stuff , Nock On Archery is very informative. It's all pretty intimidating in the beginning but as you progress,like anything,you will become better and more knowledgeable. As far as getting broadheads to fly well I found bareshaft tuning the most helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter gatherer View Post
    A good place to start would be to get your arrows cut to proper length,it's all part of the tuning. Paper,walk back and bareshaft tuning methods all come into play now. Watch some YouTube stuff , Nock On Archery is very informative. It's all pretty intimidating in the beginning but as you progress,like anything,you will become better and more knowledgeable. As far as getting broadheads to fly well I found bareshaft tuning the most helpful.
    That is what was poo-poo'd at island outfitters. I've been watching and listening to Dudley for a couple years now. That's why I want my arrows cut down.
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.

Stay away from Island outfitters.. useless tards there.. Go see Richard at Buckey's in Duncan.. he is by far one of the best Archery guys on the lower island.. Ive been going there for over 30 years to deal with him!

Quote Originally Posted by Squamch View Post
    That is what was poo-poo'd at island outfitters. I've been watching and listening to Dudley for a couple years now. That's why I want my arrows cut down.
    Not sure if you've gotten your arrows figured out yet. I can build you good arrows, to your length and matched to draw weight. I've started building arrows and make em for buddies also. I use Archers Advantage software to help find the perfect spine build for your set up. If you're ever in Squamish and have your set up, we can chrono your arrows speed if you need. I can always ship built arrows to the island also.