Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Chinook Feedback Summary March 2019

Re: Chinook Feedback Summary March 2019

The risk of ‘Cranking out too many fish’ in order to restore Chinook levels seems unwarrented given the historical swings in other salmon populations. The feed is there ,the only thing missing is chinnook.I submit the reason DFO hasn’t done anything is they had some idea of ‘wild salmon’which basicaly means doing nothing,and the results show it
    Last edited by ratherbefishin; 03-15-2019 at 09:23 AM.

“I say this with regret, but I think we are going to have to have very substantial restrictions on catch. It’s one thing you’ve got that you can control,” said Anderson, who was fisheries minister from 1997 to 1999. He subsequently served as environment minister from 1999 to 2004.

https://www.timescolonist.com/busine...ter-1.23664363
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

thanks for all your ongoing work on this mr nog

sent my letter to the 3 different peeps; awaiting the response...........eventually

xo

chris

Dear sir:

Seems to me you are between a rock and a hard place

With a grossly wrong decision you risk bankrupting both an economy and the spirit of many BC residents

My 2 cents:

- fund hatcheries

- cancel fish farms – period

- cancel the herring fishery

- kill 70% of seals and sealions that have habituated themselves at all BC rivers and deltas (UVIC reports 10,000 pinnipeds in the 60’s in local waters; now over 60,000)

- reduce annual sporty catch, yet allow same retention so people can actually catch 2 a day vs 1 per day and fill the limit sooner; or have the one per day throughout the season (not just the 5 weeks of august/sept) (makes no sense burning gas for 1 fish – yet I am fully prepared to do so)

A dream I have…………return the DFO to either Vancouver/Victoria or Prince Rupert…………and populate it with people that have actually held a fishing rod in their hands – not political hacks from ‘back east’ that have no interest, intellectually or otherwise, in the heritage of the salmon fishery

salmon fishing IS a birthright to all cdns

sadly we all know full well that the measures as presented will not save one SRKW; all you are doing in appeasing the voting public by appearing to ‘do something’

what has taken decades to break, you cannot expect to fix in one year

measured steps

thanks for your time

chris

Thumbs up Re: Chinook Feedback Summary March 2019

Great Job Chris!!!

I certainly wish more would take your lead, and fire off a letter or two themselves.
    Get's kinda lonely over on this side of the fence from time to time.

Really like how you presented that Sir.
    Right to the point.

Cheers & Thanks!
    Matt

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

The survival of any species at risk should not be subject to whatever squeaky wheel happens to be making the most noise at the moment.What frustrates me is the decline in both numbers and size of Chinook salmon was well known by anybody who fished off Sooke but nobody would listen.Whether the resident orca population is actualy in danger of imminent extinction or not is a moot point,the current number(74) is about the same as first noted in the 60’s (76) with the high (9 several years ago,the number fluctuating about 20 animals.But be that as it may, it finally got the attention of the public and now the politicians are jumping on the bandwagon after ignoring the fishermen who tried to get somebody to listen and DO something .....whether the current measures will restore Chinook to historical numbers is unknown, even at best we are four years away from knowing. In the meantime the recreational salmon fishery and the infrastructure that supports it are starving too...but does anybody care?

Thumbs down Re: Chinook Feedback Summary March 2019

Quote Originally Posted by ratherbefishin View Post
    ... In the meantime the recreational salmon fishery and the infrastructure that supports it are starving too...but does anybody care?
    Apparently it is not a significant matter for most.
    Of the 300K folks who bought a License last year, only around 900 letters came in for consideration.
    Given that many who did write did so several times, it is more than apparent the APATHY continues...

Sad,
    Nog

Guess he got to Know me

I looked at my 2018-19 licence and I only had 6 chinooks on it....2 in January / February this year,(the winter spring fishery collapsed) ,that’s 8 Chinook .I took a few hatchery coho and 3 or 4 sockeye on the short opening.Will someone please tell me why I should have to accept further restrictions.I am NOT impacting the resource. I spent my usual $2500 year on charters,because I really like getting out on the water, but not this year( my guide that I’ve fished with for 20 years sold his boat) I’m only one guy,but how many more are there like me?
    Last edited by ratherbefishin; 03-17-2019 at 04:37 PM.

Arrow Re: Chinook Feedback Summary March 2019

Quote Originally Posted by ratherbefishin View Post
    ... someone please tell me why I should have to accept further restrictions. I am NOT impacting the resource.
    Because YOU and the recreational sector are "THE Low Hanging Fruit".
    There are no perceived political ramifications in taking you off the water.
    DFO well recognizes the recreational sector could not lobby it's way out of a wet paper bag, and prefer to fight among their own internally rather than for their own fisheries. So much so, they count on it.

The FN's are apposed to anyone but them fishing whatsoever (I have in hand letters from the Fraser Coalition and other FN groups to this exact effect). They are DEMANDING both the recreational and commercial sectors face draconian cuts NOW, while citing "constitutionally protected rights", UNDRIP and Reconciliation.

And, the Feds have to be seen as "doing something" or face extremely sweeping fisheries bans due to SARA imposition.

So... regardless of how little your (or anyone else's for that matter) impact, you are on the chopping block.

Capice yet?
    Send a letter or two yet?

Nog

Guess he got to Know me

Yup, sent letters in but as you say,the recreational fishermen are expendable because are a small segment of the population and we do not control a voting block.This Chinook implosion did not suddenly appear out of thin air,we’ve seen it coming for years ,in both size and numbers.The Americans ramped up their hatchery program and put fish in the system while the Canadians said they were concentrating on ‘wild salmon’ meaning doing nothing. Because it wasn’t politically correct to shoot seals and sea lions that sat in front of river fronts picking off the returning spawners the seal population exploded- and no,seals don’t eat tofu. I have no issue with FN netting in the river for sustenance ,as long as there are enough escapment to spawn,but selling fish should be illegal and the bands should be enforcing it( yeah,I have FN blood too)

If someone told you three years ago you could smoke a joint and bonk a spring but the bonking would be illegal what would you have said?
    wonder what’s over the next hill?