Thread: Single hand or Switch....

Single hand or Switch....

Hello. Can anyone shed some light on an 8wt single hand rod vs a 7wt switch rod? I will be using it for bull trout, steelhead and coho in smaller rivers. I already have 8 and 9wt spey rods for bigger rivers. I have heard that switch rods are harder to cast than spey and can be harder to do short casts if necessary... Also an advantage to the 8wt single hand for running indicators if needed... Also, for those using them, whats the preferred length?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Single hand or Switch....

I've had both, I liked the switch as it was pretty versatile but ended up getting away from it as I found it was just average at everything, which is the point i guess. I would definitely choose a switch over the single hand for your purposes though. Mine was 116 which I liked but came back to the same problem to short for good spey and two long for a single handed rod.

That was my thoughts as well... No such thing as the perfect rod for what im looking for!

You can through out indicators with a switch. I prefer a spey when there is room but a -11' switch is great when in tighter places and long shot are not required as often. For myself the switch is a little harder to cast than the spey, but will do anything a SH rod will do.

You might find you that a 6wt switch will suite your purposes better.